Anyone?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've heard good things about them used on the SVs

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Looks interesting but I have swore to myself that I would not be modifing anything to the engine on this bike!!! :headbang:

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Looks interesting but I have swore to myself that I would not be modifing anything to the engine on this bike!!! :headbang:
Why?

And technically, you're not modifying the engine -- only the transmission... :mrgreen:

And it's easily reversible...

C'mon... doooooo it. You know you want to. :fineprint:

It took a bit of digging and pondering for me to sort this out, but it looks like on the Vee/SV1K, you only have to remove the sprocket and the cover behind the sprocket to get to the shift star. On most bikes, you have to remove the clutch, which involves draining the coolant and makes the project more of a pain in the ass.

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this myself -- compared to most four cylinder bikes, the Vee's shifting completely sucks.

I'll PM Blair at SV racing... I bet he's got the scoop on this.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
FactoryPro.com EVO Shift STAR Kit

Hi, this is a well known mod on the SV650. However, there it really only applies to Gen 1, 99 - 2002 and Pre-2005 bikes as from 2005 up the SV650 had the same shifter star and improved spring as the Factory Pro set up, and you could by the parts from Suzuki at a fraction of the cost that Factory Pro charges,

I have recently done this mod for a friend on his 2007 Aprilia RSVR 1000 Twin and the Factory Pro Kit on it was about $200 and a little bit for shipping.

These kits are generally for race or high performance riding applications where the clutch is not being always used on upshifts. The purpose is to help eliminate mis-shifts,

Does anyone have the Factory Pro Part Number for the Shift Star Kit for the SV1000/DL1000,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Does anyone have the Factory Pro Part Number for the Shift Star Kit for the SV1000/DL1000?
It's in the link in the first post: SHFT-EVO-S93-KT

The following overblown sales copy is from Factory Pro's eyesore of a web site. I don't know about y'all, but if this is even half true, I'm sold. I've ridden a DL1000 with less than 5,000 miles and my bike has about 70K, and both shifted like crap IMHO.

Includes Factory's AWESOME Detent Star - Totally changes the rough in town shifting the Suzuki's are known for into the sweetest shifting bike - The one you've always wanted!
In town shifting is effortless and slick - on track or when high speed - a shift is a light tap and it's done. No bike "unsettling".

Imagine,
last lap, last corner, 110 mph, two wheel drift... passing on the outside, bike carefully controlled by just the subtlest of weight transfer and just a "fingers touch" on the throttle... you run out of rpm and need to upshift to complete the pass.... you need to shift.... it's ok.... a tap and you are in the 4th, still in a drift....... you keep slightly pulling... around.... slowly past....you win......
(OK - it's a DL....... :)

Factory Pro designed, refined and manufactured DETENT STAR, Factory Pro Microbearing Detent Arm, heavy duty detent spring and gasket. Makes shifting quicker and more positive - "virtually" eliminating those nasty missed shifts. The stronger detent spring rotates the shift drum quicker, so the gears are more likely to engage under quick shift conditions - and "lazy" ones, too -
The Factory Pro Microbearing removes friction for the quickest shifting.
The STAR? Makes it AWESOMELY nice.
The closest to a "paddle shifter" for a motorcycle that you will ever find!!​

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
FactoryPro.com EVO Shift STAR Kit

To be honest, it is hard imagine anyone drifting past their opponent, it a tuck and Quick Shifting a DL1000. The language used in the promo is what often describes how a bona-fide full throttle quick shifter engages,

To do that they cut the fuel injectors power for a few milli-seconds while the shift occurs. With the Detent Star that process is not there,

They do however make the shift smoother and will help avoid the mis-shifts,

What are they quoting for price?

BTW: I am about to do the 2005 and up SV650 Detent Star upgrade to my DL650, That will set me back about $60 including the replacement gasket,

I'll let you know how it works when the parts arrive,

Blair

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Why?

And technically, you're not modifying the engine -- only the transmission... :mrgreen:

And it's easily reversible...

C'mon... doooooo it. You know you want to. :fineprint:

I have a problem with modifying and HP. Once that genie gets released from the bottle it never goes back in. :green_lol:

I was looking at the shifting then to the velocity stacks, secondary’s removal, PCM upgrade. I had to leave the page. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, this is a well known mod on the SV650. However, there it really only applies to Gen 1, 99 - 2002 and Pre-2005 bikes as from 2005 up the SV650 had the same shifter star and improved spring as the Factory Pro set up, and you could by the parts from Suzuki at a fraction of the cost that Factory Pro charges,

I have recently done this mod for a friend on his 2007 Aprilia RSVR 1000 Twin and the Factory Pro Kit on it was about $200 and a little bit for shipping.

These kits are generally for race or high performance riding applications where the clutch is not being always used on upshifts. The purpose is to help eliminate mis-shifts,
Not to be grumpy (or late :), but the later stock sv650 star is a better star than the early sv650 stars, and the Factory Pro star is different than the later star, too.
The later sv650 star is a def improvement over the earlier star, though - and it's def less expensive than our star kit with the rest of the parts.
But, is a side by side comparison of stock vs. "kit" parts........
As far as the kits only being needed for racing? I'd say that most everybody would appreciate tighter feeling shifting, even if bopping down to the corner market.
To sum it up? The later stock sv650 star is a def improvement and very cost effective.
The Factory Pro shift star kit is significantly better, but a lot more dollars. And the spring is different than stock.

I rarely see anybody even noticing that we made adj shift centering studs for the sv650. If you are into transmissions and how they function, you need to look at that.

Thanks -
Marc Salvisberg
Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's in the link in the first post: SHFT-EVO-S93-KT

The following overblown sales copy is from Factory Pro's eyesore of a web site. I don't know about y'all, but if this is even half true, I'm sold. I've ridden a DL1000 with less than 5,000 miles and my bike has about 70K, and both shifted like crap IMHO.

Includes Factory's AWESOME Detent Star - Totally changes the rough in town shifting the Suzuki's are known for into the sweetest shifting bike - The one you've always wanted!
In town shifting is effortless and slick - on track or when high speed - a shift is a light tap and it's done. No bike "unsettling".

Imagine,
last lap, last corner, 110 mph, two wheel drift... passing on the outside, bike carefully controlled by just the subtlest of weight transfer and just a "fingers touch" on the throttle... you run out of rpm and need to upshift to complete the pass.... you need to shift.... it's ok.... a tap and you are in the 4th, still in a drift....... you keep slightly pulling... around.... slowly past....you win......
(OK - it's a DL....... :)

Factory Pro designed, refined and manufactured DETENT STAR, Factory Pro Microbearing Detent Arm, heavy duty detent spring and gasket. Makes shifting quicker and more positive - "virtually" eliminating those nasty missed shifts. The stronger detent spring rotates the shift drum quicker, so the gears are more likely to engage under quick shift conditions - and "lazy" ones, too -
The Factory Pro Microbearing removes friction for the quickest shifting.
The STAR? Makes it AWESOMELY nice.
The closest to a "paddle shifter" for a motorcycle that you will ever find!!​
Ok, I thought the idea of a DL in a 2 wheel drift at 110 was pretty funny......

But - I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one night and then I went on a tour with Top Shelf Tours in northern CA on a DL1000 and accidentally did a 2 wheel drift at 40...........
They will do drifts (front wheel first) if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Not to be grumpy (or late :), but the later stock sv650 star is a better star than the early sv650 stars, and the Factory Pro star is different than the later star, too.
The later sv650 star is a def improvement over the earlier star, though - and it's def less expensive than our star kit with the rest of the parts.
But, is a side by side comparison of stock vs. "kit" parts........
As far as the kits only being needed for racing? I'd say that most everybody would appreciate tighter feeling shifting, even if bopping down to the corner market.
To sum it up? The later stock sv650 star is a def improvement and very cost effective.
The Factory Pro shift star kit is significantly better, but a lot more dollars. And the spring is different than stock.

I rarely see anybody even noticing that we made adj shift centering studs for the sv650. If you are into transmissions and how they function, you need to look at that.

Thanks -
Marc Salvisberg
Factory Pro: Producers of the EC997 Low Inertia Eddy Current Dynamometer Series and Quality MC performance products

That's nice, but we're talking about Vees. Done anything with the DL/SV1000 engine? :fineprint:

Also, it's been a while since this thread started, but in the meantime I've installed a Touratech folding shift lever on my Vee, and the improvement in shifting has been huge.

Basically, the TT lever mounts directly to the shift shaft, eliminating the sloppy floppy stock linkage setup.

Very easy and painless, but it's about $70 shipped for a stinkin' shift lever. Kind of ridiculous, but cheaper than a shift kit anyway.

I had to add a bit of rubber hose to my lever to give my boot a bit of traction -- the smooth metal top slipped off my boot toe too frequently for my taste.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's nice, but we're talking about Vees. Done anything with the DL/SV1000 engine? :fineprint:

Also, it's been a while since this thread started, but in the meantime I've installed a Touratech folding shift lever on my Vee, and the improvement in shifting has been huge.

Basically, the TT lever mounts directly to the shift shaft, eliminating the sloppy floppy stock linkage setup.

Very easy and painless, but it's about $70 shipped for a stinkin' shift lever. Kind of ridiculous, but cheaper than a shift kit anyway.

I had to add a bit of rubber hose to my lever to give my boot a bit of traction -- the smooth metal top slipped off my boot toe too frequently for my taste.
Improving linkage:
Improving shift linkage (including getting rid of linkage :) delivers better shifting as it does a better job of transferring "toe action" to the first 51% of the travel of the shift mechanism. The last 49% of the shift mechanism's action (i.e. completing the shift) is the responsibility of the action of the star, detent arm and detent spring design.
To complete a shift, the bike only has to exceed a threshold value of motion over given time and removing the linkage does improve the speed of gear change.
If you want it to shift quicker (i.e. slide the gears quicker), you need to improve the efficiency of the actual shift mechanism.
If you improve the action of the shift mechanism, you could leave the original shift linkage.
But the quickest, slickest shifting would be the starr kit + getting rid of the stock shift linkage.

Shift lever Toe pad knurling:
Sometimes designers think that shift lever toe pads need deep, aggressive knurling - but part of roadrace bike setup is to sand the deep knurling down, eliminating the sharp tops of the knurling so that the rider can slide their toe above and below the toe pad. I think that deep knurling "looks cool" and sanded knurling and shallow knurling "doesn't look cool".

DL1000 shift star kit:
SHFT-EVO-S93-KT - has a new star and better spring - the stock arm is OK.
SV1000 shift star kit:
same as the DL1000.

All anybody has to do is search for "dl1000 shift kit".

Question:
Does the folding shift lever bother you at all? I had one on a race bike and found that there were times when I would be shifting and sliding my foot back and the lever would fold back - and any inconsistencies in bike controls causes anxiety.
But, I doubt that that would happen on the street.
I'd still suggest sanding the knurling down, rather than increasing the thickness of the toe pad (requiring more ankle movement to get from above and below and vice versa.

All sorts of minor details that make things "slick". :)

Marc Salvisberg

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
Back in the day the original GIXAHS was a bear to shift

Notchiy and drag and RR guys were always pounding 2nd gear

This used to be a small ball bearing on the star wheel as opposed to a pin.

Probably the same parts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just picked up my new-to-me '06 DL1k 2 weeks ago. Put 1000 miles on it since, and have hated every 1-to-2 shift. I've have Factory Pro shift kits in my CB-1 and F4i and really like the way they both shift.

I just placed the order for the SHFT-EVO-S93 shift kit from Factory Pro and I'm confident it will do the trick.

-Russ

·
Registered
225 Posts
My shift kit showed up. Apparently the DL1k already has a "micro-bearing" detent arm because this kit only included the star, a stiff spring, and a gasket.

I hope to install it in the next few days... and I'll report the results.

-Russ

·
Registered
225 Posts
So, I put the Factory shift kit in the V-Strom yesterday. I didn't have oil on hand, so it got the new filter on and everything reassembled, but I won't get to ride it until tonight or tomorrow.

The kit went in easily enough... once I managed to get the cover off the engine*. Had to remove the clutch slave cylinder (zip tie the clutch lever to the grip so that the fluid doesn't work its way down and pop the piston out of the slave cylinder!). Then I removed the front sprocket cover, removed the front sprocket, and positioned the chain out of the way to get to the shift cover and then pulled off the left footpeg mount and the shift linkage. Installing the shift kit parts is pretty straight forward, but reassembly of the cover is a pain. Simultaneously aligning gasket and shifter arm (such that it's return spring straddles the pin) in a very tight space with no visibility is "Not Fun" (tm)

A keen eye may have noticed the * above. The fun started when I realized that the cover can't be removed with the engine in the frame!! Really Suzuki??? Engine removal to access the shift star? Fortunately, it was only hung up on a 1/4" tab on the lower right side of the cover which could be safely filed off giving just enough room to slide the cover off.

The kit for the DL1000 only includes the shift star and the spring. The bike already has a micro-bearing detent arm, so it doesn't come in the kit (and the kit is cheaper as a result). Factory's website is from 1982, so they just use the same description for every kit and this caused some initial confusion. I took a picture of the Factory star, and the Suzuki star side by side... I'll post that later.

All I've done so far is shift in and out of neutral with the engine off, but it feels tight. I'll post a report after I ride it.

-Russ

·
Registered
10 Posts

Does anyone have the Factory Pro Part Number for the Shift Star Kit for the SV1000/DL1000,

Blair
I don't know who started it, but the Factory Pro shift star and spring are not "the same" as the 05+ sv650.

I just installed a Factory Pro star and spring in a DL650 (which has the 05 and later star, arm and spring) and the difference in shifting between the Factory Pro kit and the 05 Suzuki parts is anything but "the same".

The stars?
The arcs are different. The radii are different. the peaks are different. The valleys are different. The major and minor diameters are different.
The only thing that is the same is that they are both different than the 04 star.

The shift kits are to improve the shift mechanism action - be it banging shifts on a track or lazy shifting on the highway - not just for racing.
One of the popular Factory Pro shift kits is for an M109r, certainly not a racebike. It's for reducing missed shifts and clunking between gear shifts.

According the rider, a high end aviation electronics technician, the difference in shifting between the "05" star and spring and the F-Pro star and spring is that it is "amazingly" better. Even feeling that the required shift throw has been reduced (which isn't a feature of the "05" star) .

The 05 Suzuki star and spring is a good path to follow if you have a 99-04 sv650 and $40 - but it isn't the same as a well designed star and spring.

It's bugged me for years that sv guys "knew" that the 05 Suzuki star "was the same" as the Factory Pro star and that "they worked the same".
When they don't.

There. I feel better. Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Hey, I just had the shift star installed at Factory Pro. I let Marc talk me into it after he heard me lamenting about false neutrals and how "ratchity" I thought the shifter was on my Glee. Yes, I keep the linkage clean and lubed but I've never been happy with it. Well, I must tell you, the Factory Pro shift star mod works. I wear work boots during the week and touring boots on the weekend so I was always adjusting my shift lever. Now I leave it in the "touring" position and all is good. The shifting is now smooth and concise no matter which position the shift lever is in. Tick, tick, tick go the shifts. I'm contemplating building a quick change adjustable shift lever at some point but for now, it's OK. Thanx Marc.
P.S. Anyone got any ideas for a quick change adjustable shift lever. I have access to a machine shop but no CNC stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts