StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Trail Wings that came with this bike. No complaints in terms of ride, and they have 10,500 kms on them.

Right now I'm thinking of getting another set of those, although I've heard good things about the Michelin Anakee 3 and the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. The Battle Wings are another option.

Aaaargh... tires...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
What surfaces do you ride on? If only pavement or a small amount of firm dirt, Michelin Pilot Road 4 are great. Bridgestone Battleax BT-023 are very good, but the PR4 may be better in the wet. Avon Storm 3D X-M are new and interesting.
http://bigbikemad.com/avon-storm-3d-x-m-tyres.html

If more dirt, the Metzeler Karoo 3, Heidenau K60, or Mitas E-07 do a great job. If mainly pavement and some dirt, the Anakee 3, Tourance, Scorpion Trail are good.

I don't think anybody ever replaced their Trailwings with something else and said, "I wish I had Trailwings again."

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
I have been running Bridgestone Battlewings (BW501/BW502) and have been happy with their performance. I have been getting about 12,000-13,000 miles on the rear and about twice that on the front.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that's great mileage on the Battle Wings. I ride mostly (if not all) pavement.

Appreciate your input, gents.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I don't think anybody ever replaced their Trailwings with something else and said, "I wish I had Trailwings again."
Yep. Lots of great choices out there. Try something else and I predict you'll be very pleased.

I'm currently rockin' the A3s, and I like them a lot. The Battle Wings are also excellent, and significantly less expensive. Both are great if you don't go off-pavement much.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What surfaces do you ride on? If only pavement or a small amount of firm dirt, Michelin Pilot Road 4 are great. Bridgestone Battleax BT-023 are very good, but the PR4 may be better in the wet. Avon Storm 3D X-M are new and interesting.
Avon Storm 3D -XM Motorcycle Tyre Review - Big Bike Mad

If more dirt, the Metzeler Karoo 3, Heidenau K60, or Mitas E-07 do a great job. If mainly pavement and some dirt, the Anakee 3, Tourance, Scorpion Trail are good.

Actually..... That's me! I found the Trailwing superior to the Tourance I have now except in treadwear. I will double my mileage with the Tourance, but it does not handle or stick as well. Never had an issue with the Tw breaking loose in a hard accelerating turn but the Tourance will.... Wet traction almost equal with points to the Trailwing. Still have the oe TW on the front with 20,000 kms and will likely get another 5-10,000, They aint all bad!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm currently running a set of Continental Trail Attacks and like them, how would you compare them to the A3's which really intrigue me as a replacement?
90/10 rider

·
Registered
553 Posts
I really like the Trail Wings that came with this bike. No complaints in terms of ride, and they have 10,500 kms on them.

Right now I'm thinking of getting another set of those, although I've heard good things about the Michelin Anakee 3 and the Pirelli Scorpion Trail. The Battle Wings are another option.

Aaaargh... tires...
I'm on my second set of tires on my 2011 DL650A. Like you I had good luck with factory tires. When it was time to replace I used a stock rear tire but tried an Anakee on the front (just because) but now recall seeing some cupping on the front. I can't recall the exact mileage but believe it was around 14k miles. I'm sure I posted someplace on the mileage. I've added an additional 11000 miles to the bike and fronts look fine and rear is showing wear but not at the wear bars yet. Like you I struggle over tires but I really only spend <5% off-road. Looking at something different for the rear right now but really looking for a street tire with best mileage.

Good Luck.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts