StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I am installing Symtec heated grips with the Eastern Beaver connector. Does anyone have a picture of the factory heated grip plug?

What color wires lead to the connector? Was the connector accessable from the clutch side of your bike or from the throttle side?

Once hint that I do have to offer to others is that the factor grips can easily be removed without destruction if you take a long thing screwdriver between the bar and the grip then take eather (starting fluid) and spray it between the grip and bar.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The connector may be various colors and may be taped to the wiring harness. It is usually close to the center. The best way to recognize it is by the wire colors. One is black with a white stripe and the other is orange with a green stripe. A thin screwdriver and WD40 did it for me.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Remove the left (clutch) side tank panel and go in from that side. The connector will be taped to a larger harness bundle, and you will find it (probably) laying up against the back side of the plastic shroud behind the fan. It will require some fishing, and you'll probably have to cut off some of the tape holding it to the other bundle in order to get enough slack to work with it. If i remember correctly (always a challenge at my age) I also released one or two of the nylon guides that held the larger wire bundle to the fan shroud in order to get even more slack. It's pretty tight in there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the heaters installed but blew out the fuse during a ride. There is also a headlight modulator on the same circut, which I don't know how much current it draws.

Do you need to upgrade the stock 15 amp fuse on the circut that the Eastern Beaver socket plugs into when adding heated grips and having other load on the circut?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I got the heaters installed but blew out the fuse during a ride. There is also a headlight modulator on the same circut, which I don't know how much current it draws.

Do you need to upgrade the stock 15 amp fuse on the circut that the Eastern Beaver socket plugs into when adding heated grips and having other load on the circut?
Somethin' ain't right, then. there's no reason why a circuit designed for heated grips won't support them. I doubt very much if the Symtec grips draw more than the OEM Suzuki ones. I have Dual-Star elements on mine using that stock grip feed, and have never had a problem. I guess you have to suspect the modulator. Unhook it and see what happens. You might want to try a new fuse first, though, just to be sure that there really is an overload. I had a 20A fuse blow on my toy hauler for no reason, replaced it and had no more problems.

·
Registered
268 Posts
His problem was the headlight modulator, which was probably drawing 10 amps. 10 amps for modulator plus 5 amps for grip heaters = blown 15 amp fuse ;-).

You should run the headlight modulator off the battery (see the Eastern Beaver kit), not off of the heated grips connector.

As for locating the heated grips connector, it is accessed from the clutch side. I found the connector via its wires. It was hanging right there at the bottom of the front throttle body where the throttle bail is. It was a PITA to get the Eastern Beaver connector onto it, I used a pair of crook-nosed pliers to get behind it so I could push the Eastern Beaver connector on with a pair of straight-nosed pliers, but I got it done and my Symtec grips are toasty now :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
depending on how much excess wire is out you do not have to remove anything to access the connector. i do not know how to post links but if you use the "Search" feature and type: "Symtec grip heater installation on V-Strom" there are pictures and a step by step install. if the connector is accessible you can do the install in about 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Any problems with the connection overheating the solder in the ignition switch? I read somebodies post (somewhere) he said his ignition switch failed. Turned out the amps drawn overheated his ignition bundle melting off the solder. Not sure how accurate that is, but anybosy else had this happen? I was going to KISS and just do the Symtecs under grip pups. The I saw the overheated ignition switch post.:var_39:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
From the factory.

After cutting it loose from the tape.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts