StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chain to be installed, an EK 525 gold, and it has a kind of whitish grease-like lube on it in the package. Is this something that should be removed before installing, or is it like a bicycle chain where the factory lube is better than anything I can put on?

IF it's just there to keep it from corroding in a warehouse, it's one thing, and if it's going to attract and stick to a lot of sand dirt and grit, I'd like to remove it, but I wasn't really sure what it was, and didn't want to take it off if it's good to keep on...

·
Registered
111 Posts
lube

I cleaned mine with kerosene wiped it down...sprayed Teflon lube. And rode

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The ones I've seen look like an ordinary white grease. If you're riding in clean conditions, leave it. If you're riding in the wet, leave it. If you're riding in grit, wipe it off and use your favorite dry lube.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's getting installed as part of the larger service I've got in my future (45k, throttle body sync, valve adjust, front brakes, both tires, coolant, plugs and so on). I'm not sure whether the mechanic is going to keep the stuff on, or strip it, or if I should strip the grease before I bring it in.

I'd rather just leave it packaged and have them make the call, I suppose. I do get out in some rain, but is it the grit and grime that wears things, or is it just time?

I've only got about 12.5k on this chain, prior owner installed it, and I think maybe the cush drive being loose, along with the lower gearing in the sprockets is what killed this one so quickly. Not stretched, sprockets aren't hooked, but the links are kinked and stiff in places.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
That white grease, if left on in the quantity currently applied will find its way onto...

...EVERYTHING!

Your chain guard will be full of it, your rear wheel will be caked with it, you may find it on your pants, you will eventually end up with it on your hands, which means that...

I left it on ONCE...!

·
Registered
180 Posts
cannot get dupoint multilube in eastern Canada soooo

As I cannot get the dupoint product in Eastern Canada, my local Homehardware carries this product which sounds like the Dupoint product...
Super Lube Dri-Film Aerosol Lubricant, will this work as well.....tia....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be using just silicone spray to keep the O rings in good shape. I really dont see how any lube on the chain will help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I'll be using just silicone spray to keep the O rings in good shape. I really dont see how any lube on the chain will help.
Lube keeps the plates from rusting, eases the roller to sprocket connection and, most importantly, services the roller to bushing interface. The sealed in lube only services the pin to bushing interface. The red X rings are the seals.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
There are numerous threads on this forum that pertain to chain lubrication. Some riders swear by this specific product, that specific product, or an unconventional product / product that works for them.

For whatever way, an individual decides to do so, lubrication of a chain is very important! The choices of what to use cover a myriad of products; and hence subsequent conversations of "You shouldn't use this", or "You shouldn't use that".

An example of "You Shouldn't Use", is WD-40. Some riders claim that WD-40 will deteriorate the O-rings that are integral to internal factory lubrication of the chain.

Other riders swear by the use of WD-40, claiming that they have never had a problem with it, and have achieved much longer chain life, compared to a chain that was lubricated with more conventional products.

In my opinion, whether a rider chooses to use an oil based product, a greased based product, or a "dry" based product, each of them has "pros and cons" to their use. However, it IS important to use something!

From my own experience, I have learned the hard way that, cleaning a drive chain with kerosene must be done with care. If kerosene is used as a cleaning agent, then the only way that I would use it is to, apply the kerosene to a rag, and lightly wipe the chain down; removing dirt and grit.

I used to "bathe" my drive chain in kerosene. I would pass the chain through a bread pan, half filled with kerosene, and I would use a "Grunge Brush", (specifically marketed for cleaning chains), to scrub the chain to a "sparkley clean" state. I have lost two chains prematurely to cleaning a chain this way. I do not use kerosene to clean a chain anymore! I will use WD-40 to clean a chain though.

After trying a multitude of chain lubricants, (Chain Grease, Chain Wax, Chain Oil, Dry Lubricates, etc), I have always returned to my "tried and true" method of lubricating my drive chain. I use chainsaw bar oil. It is simple, cheap, easy to get hold of nearly anywhere, and easy for me to carry.

Watch the video below.

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Nice video, how many miles between applications of oil on the chain? And,,, what music is that?
thanks.
The miles ridden between applications is too many. I often wait until I hear the tiny, "click - click - click" sounds of the chain whirling around the sprockets. I should lubricate the chain long before that!

To add to this, for me there cannot be a specific duration of time, or mileage. The proper thing to consider is, conditions ridden in. Have I been riding dirt roads, through mud puddles? Have I been riding in the rain? Have I been riding interstate highways? Speaking for myself, I try to keep a collective mental ledger of what I have been doing with the bike, as it relates to lubricating the drive chain. Often, I forget this maintenance task....... Until I hear, "click - click - click".

The music in the video clip was produced by a software application that I own; Sonic Fire Pro. I purchased it nearly 12 years ago, when I was involved in video editing as a hobby. The current version is "5", and can be downloaded as a trial version here: Royalty Free Music, Royalty Free Stock Music Downloads

The process is, you purchase the "umbrella software" from Smartsound. You also purchase royalty free tracks of music, from a host of different genres and categories. The tracks are loaded on to your hard drive, in a library, where the Sonic Fire Pro application has access to them.

In my situation, I will create a video piece, then I take note of the length of the video piece, then I enter into SFP, take a listen to different tunes in my library, make a choice of the music I want to use, enter in the length of time I need that music to be, and click "Enter". SFP will create a piece of music that is the length that I need. I will export it out of the program, and import it into the non-linear editor that I am using, and use it as a soundtrack to my video. Then, I export everything together, (video and audio), to a file on my computer, for upload to my YouTube account.

The above is the simplified version. SFP is available as a "plug-in" to a number of non-linear video editors. That means, an individual can work with SFP right inside their video editing software. Programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, or Final Cut Pro are setup that way.

My version of the program is waaaay too old to be able to use it as a plug-in anymore. I am now currently using Vegas Video for my video editing needs.

Here is a tutorial on how to use SFP:

Here is another example of my use of the software, for the airplane that I am building. I created the video, then chose a "song" in SFP, and had it create a piece of music to fit my video.

Now for a deviation on this topic. When I create a "How To" video, there are specific visual elements, (and sometimes audio elements as well!), that I want in the footage to best illustrate what I am trying to communicate. This assembly of clips, drives the ultimate length of the video that I want to create. Hence, I need a piece of software, (SFP), that will create a specific length of music to match my video clip.

When I go riding, the opposite happens. I will shoot a WHOLE BUNCH of footage that I can hopefully cull "good stuff" out of. Then, I will search for a specific song that I think will best bring out, or enhance the message that I would like to share with viewers. In this case, I almost ALWAYS use recorded music from an artist; non-royalty free music.

Examples of that form of video work can be seen below.

May 08 - 10, 2009 - Pat Matheny

"Riding With Jackpiner57" - Keith Urban (By YouTube rules, this is TOTALLY illegal!)

"Not Home Yet" - Steven Curtis Chapman

I even use this "non-royalty" technique in family videos.

"The Basin Harbor Club" - Keith Urban

Greywolf, don't you just love these types of threads? Look at all that you learn! (Useless information!!!)

B.L.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Greywolf, don't you just love these types of threads? Look at all that you learn! (Useless information!!!)
I do crossword puzzles. Any information may be useful. Just because the hard drive in my head is full and I have to erase some is no reason not to keep it updated.:mrgreen:

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I do crossword puzzles. Any information may be useful. Just because the hard drive in my head is full and I have to erase some is no reason not to keep it updated.:mrgreen:
I am happy to oblige!

(My hard drive crashed several years ago. I have resulted having to work off of "floppy discs" since then. Does it show?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been going crazy over my chain. I start getting a click click click when I take off, the only thing which seems to make it 'mostly' go away is lubing my chain. Is this normal?

If it's my chain, what noise am I hearing when I take off while putting pressure on my back brake so I'm not going very fast? I can get it to click a bunch, almost feels like it's slipping...is that what's going on?

Joshua

1 - 15 of 15 Posts