StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an SV650 as well as a DL650. I have a steering damper installed on the SV650, which uses a $20 eBay unit from a 2000's era GSXR, and mounts under the headlight via nicely CNC'd aluminum brackets made by forum member "Nucular" over at svrider.com

Having the damper on the SV650 made me want one on the DL650, but I was not willing to pay the $400+ entry fee for a Scott's unit, which appears to be the only option.

I started looking at ways to make my own bracket to mount a GSXR take-off to the DL650. Mounting it inside the front fairing under the steering stem is not possible, as there is not enough clearance for the travel of the damper from lock-to-lock.

After much thought, I came up with a solution. I welded up a bracket that bolts over the top of the OEM fuel tank bracket. I had to source slightly longer bolts. Note that the clearance for the upright/vertical 1/2" diameter rod is really tight in relation to the top steering bearing cover. I also had to notch out the black plastic fuel tank cover a bit to allow clearance for this vertical rod. I drilled and tapped (8mmx1.25) the top of the vertical rod to accept the damper's rod-end attachment bolt. The damper's center point is joined to the handlebar via a bracket normally used to attach the backbone of a hand-guard. Lots of trial and error was required to determine mounting location while allowing full damper travel and maintain lock-to-lock steering. I also maintained full visibility of the dash/gauges.

The damper works perfectly on the road, alleviating the very slight twitchiness that sometimes but rarely occurs during high speed, high cross-wind and/or heavily loaded with passenger and camping gear. It gives me peace of mind in these circumstances. Vibration of the damper in relation to the engine vibration is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
The ZRX1100/1200 boys have been using the Gixxer Damper for years now......they are readily/cheaply available off ebay. One member sells a mount that installs "under" the triple-tree area between the forks and the frame.....probably too congested under there to work on the Vstrom. I applaud your engineering/fabrication skills!!!!!

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
So, what are you charging for the hardware since we can source a damper from e-bay.
Looks like a cottage industry to me!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I want one...

I am having some issues with my new to me 2011 ABS Wee...

I have not upgraded my suspension yet.. 290 lbs W/O gear and 6'2"

Bike feels really squirrley and has me puckering up...

Any suggestions and I would love to get a cheap steering stabilizer!!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A fork brace and raising the forks in the triple clamps 10mm to help offset aerodynamic lift did wonders for my Wee.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks guys.

I will be upgrading the front springs soon (sonics, I think) I would llove to just replace the rear spring... and cannot afford a full meal deal rear set up...

I have not set sag yet... just cranked rear all the way up and adjusted front to the second line... realized front tire air pressure was about 20 psi cold. added air to about 40 psi cold and rear is about 45 psi cold... too much air??

I am also thinking about lifting the rear up and inch and see if that helps??

Last bike was a KLR... I told my wife that if I spend more and get the WEE, I wouldnt have to do a bunch of changes.... wrong again... and these parts are so damn expensive!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
pressure

thanks Brian. I will give those pressures a try...

I had an accident at work last week with a grinder/cut off wheel, so no riding or working on the bike for me for a couple weeks...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts