StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1. Get a carabiner-type clippie thingy at WalMart or some such store.

2. Drill hole in topbox

3. Loop nylon cable tie around carabiner and fasten to a small washer on the inside of topbox.

- Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I like it but I'd be concerned.

Potential for water infiltration?

Sad bounce of the helmet if the zip-tie breaks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heavy said:
Potential for water infiltration?

Sad bounce of the helmet if the zip-tie breaks.
Never had trouble with water getting in, but I suppose you could dab a little silicon sealer stuff around the hole on the inside.

As far as the potential for helmet damage... I suppose the zip-tie could break. Although, how many times have you seen someone putting their helmet on their seat while they run into the convenience store? Talk about potential for helmet damage. Ugh!

- Tom

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
TomX said:
As far as the potential for helmet damage... I suppose the zip-tie could break. Although, how many times have you seen someone putting their helmet on their seat while they run into the convenience store? Talk about potential for helmet damage. Ugh!

- Tom
I know what you mean there, leaving the helmet on the seat is just too big a risk.

I'm thinking of the load on the zip-tie and long term fatigue. Maybe something like an eye bolt, with a shoulder would make me feel a little safer? They're available in stainless in all sorts of different sizes. Excellent idea, I'm always looking for a place that I can put my helmet short term (without leaving it sitting on the seat). I think I'll be hitting BRAFASCO on the way home tonight.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I have been using a bicycle cable lock routed throught the rear rack and chin guard of my helmet.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Hey WW, a simple and, probably, effective solution but you're going against the engineering credo:

"If it still works properly, it doesn't have enough accessories and add ons."

Why use a simple solution when you can drill holes and buy hardware? :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Actually have two bicycle locks on the Wee. They are good extensions for a couple bungees when loading a bulky whatever on board. Multi-tasking at it 's simplest and effective.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mirrors as a helmet rack.

Heavy said:
I know what you mean there, leaving the helmet on the seat is just too big a risk.

I'm thinking of the load on the zip-tie and long term fatigue. Maybe something like an eye bolt, with a shoulder would make me feel a little safer? They're available in stainless in all sorts of different sizes. Excellent idea, I'm always looking for a place that I can put my helmet short term (without leaving it sitting on the seat). I think I'll be hitting BRAFASCO on the way home tonight.
Perhaps this is too simple but why not just hang the helmet on your mirror? If you're riding 2-up you've even got a place for the SO's helmet!

I know it seems wrong to place it on the highest thing, but it is: solid, the correct direction to NOT fill with rain water, and about as handy as you can get (if it was any closer it would hit you in the nose). :idea:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Perhaps this is too simple but why not just hang the helmet on your mirror?
Because the impact absorbing liner (basically styrofoam) is designed to crush and absorb the impact in the event of a crash. You don't want to be hanging your helmet on something that is pushing up on that liner and creating dents in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts