StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any Sport riders here that use the Vstrom as a second bike for everyday use, 2 up, distance riding, etc. that have done extensive mods mostly in handling dpartment.

I'm thinking 17" front wheel and better brakes, rear shock and any other things for harder core street use.

Would love to know how it worked out and how it transforms the bike.

Thanks ........V

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I think I'd easily qualify as a serious sport rider. I also have 2 sportbikes in the stable beside the Strom. I think you might be better off having the Strom be the Strom. It is NOT a sportbike. Others may jump all over this but I doubt they've owned an R1 or CBR or Busa. I really struggled when I first got my Strom for what it was NOT. It's not passion inspiring, it's not wicked sportbike fun. The Strom wasn't meant to be a sportbike. You can change the springs and suspension and throw a bunch of money into handling mods but remember it really is an adventure dual-sport. I rode a friend's DL1k that had EVERY (and I do mean every) mod available to the Strom for upgrades. Yes, it was VERY different than stock but it still paled in comparison to a true sportbike. For the money he spent I think he'd been better off buying a used Strom and a used sportbike. I do everything w/my Strom--2up, dirt/gravel, tour, etc which is something none of my other bikes can do. FWIW, this is just my opinion. Best of luck in your quest w/your Strom.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with Stromette on this one. Buy a cheap sport bike, you'll be much happier. The DL is a very capable bike, and there are some instances where they actually can out perform hard core sport bikes (switchbacks come to mind) but for most roads that won't be the case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input Stromette and Albie, but no I'm not trying to make it into a sport bike I already have an 05 Gsxr 1000 thats primeraly a track/back road bike.

I want the V-strom for more relaxed every day use, comforetable 2 up ride and distance traveling. I'm not into off road adventure so it's more important to me to have better handling and stopping power when I want to have a spirited ride through mountain twisties.

I'v already had a V-strom couple of years ago. It was a love/hate relationship. hated the bufetting, seat and bars including the rubber mounting but loved the motor and the whole concept of the bike.

I think that with a Corbin or Sargent seat, different bars solidly mounted, 17" front wheel with bigger calipers, revalved and resprung forks, better rear shock and hopefully getting rid of the buffeting by cutting down the w-screen would meke this a one solid bike.

I was hopping to chat with someone thats converted to the 17" front wheel to find out how it changed the handling of the bike because it could work better or worse.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was a guy that installed a SV wheel on a 650. I have not seen it done on the 1000 yet though. Honestly.. It looks goofy with the stock fender, I would have to mod that some how.

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=101177532231

I personally would just get a set of Pilot Roads, upgrade the suspension and go to town.. or the twisties.. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imagine said:
There was a guy that installed a SV wheel on a 650. I have not seen it done on the 1000 yet though. Honestly.. It looks goofy with the stock fender, I would have to mod that some how.

http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=101177532231

I personally would just get a set of Pilot Roads, upgrade the suspension and go to town.. or the twisties.. :lol:

Hey thanks a lot, I'm gona have to mail him, and fender defenately needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lower your forks 1/2 inch. While this isn't a 17" wheel it does help the bike turn a little faster. I noticed the difference right away.

Since you are saying you want a more "kick back" kind of ride (which is also why I bought the bike), lower the forks in the triple tree, put better springs/oil in the forks, maybe switch out the rear shock, modify your seat (see my post on doing this) or buy a new Corbin/Sargent seat, and either cut down the stock windscreen or replace it completely with a taller aftermarket windscreen depending on what you are after as far as wind protection. Get stiffer handle bars (I have Pro Taper SE ATV-Mids that I'm happy with).

Put on some aftermarket mufflers for a few more horses and better sound.

Like stromette said (and which you already realize) the DL engine is no sport bike engine. But I like it! Although it would be nice to have the punch of a sport bike in the DL, I'm liking the DL twin more and more. :) Fun motor. It's got enough power for me.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I agree with Chris on this stupid 17" front wheel thing.
To be honest I disagree with all guys who buys a bike than completely change and rebuild it with different sometimes good sometimes bad quality parts. Why to make a DL a sportbike? Why doesn't he buy an SV or a supermoto. They both already have all the sporty features which is missing from the DL.
Hey out there, PLEASE understand the DL is DEFINITELY NOT a sportbike and will never be, even with a 17" front wheel. Also NOT an OFF ROADER. The DL is a TOURER with SOME (meant: (sometimes very) limited) off road and GOOD (but not perfect) curving capabilities. I already posted in an other topic although Suzuki ads say it is, nobody can expect from the DL to be the ultimate Sport-Enduro-Tourer. Why? Just because the parameters of a sport, a tourer or an enduro bike are contradictory.
I simply cannot be brought! :shock:

The DL is good as is. SOME mods like lowering links, seat, handlebar risers etc are ok because they serve our COMFORT but do not change very hardly the concept and the characteristic of the bike.

Huh, sorry if I was too tough, I perhaps made me angry too much! Go for a drink now to cool down.

·
Registered
255 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
Huh, sorry if I was too tough, I perhaps made me angry too much! Go for a drink now to cool down.
Not at all moku, your thoughts are exactly like mine on this... Just enjoy what the bike has to offer + plus some strategic enhancements.... :) I forgot to mention better brake pads which I'll add when I replace the tires.

I saw/heard a red Ducati tonight on the way home from work at a stop light, and I'm thinking more and more I'd like that sound a little more. But I'm not sure if I would drill out the stockers to try to get that sound. My first thought says no, mufflers (maybe pipes also) to do it, but I'm not sure if the Ducati's engine is also different which also has something to do with it. I think it's a 90 degree v-twin like the DL?? If so, it shouldn't be a problem with the required $$$.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Both engines are 90 degrees V-twin. And all the similarity end with it. The 620 ccm Ducati engine is aircooled, has 2 valves and has the belt-driven desmodromic valve system. I don't know if just these differencies are the reasons behind that they sound so extremely cool but surely have more or less impact on it. Sure their exhaust system which is designed for that type of engine has big effect on it. I think just with an aftermarket muffler cannot copy the Ducati-sound, moreover not even with a complete system. You can change the stocker DL sound to a bit lower and louder with a muffler, but I wouldn't and won't do that. The DL is exactly as much loud as I like, it doesn't make me head-ache even after a longer trip and I also do not disturb others especially the nature. Loud biker are IMHO exhibitionist, they more care about if somebody look at them when they ride along the main street of the city. I am not that type.
Don't misunderstand me, I also fall in love with the Ducati's sound and as I am a biker I really like all the mechanical sounds around a bike and sometimes wish to have that deep hammering sound under my butt, but for the time being I do not know about any adjustable-sound muffler which for I would be the first who order.

·
Registered
255 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
BTW did you hear also how its engine jingle-jangle? Even with oil-bath clutch it is scary. And with dry clutch it is dramatic.
Didn't notice that. But the bike sounded pretty nice. :) Good info on the Ducati engine. To be honest, for me new mufflers are also low on my list of things I want for my bike. For the price of two mufflers I could buy a whole set of hard luggage. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mokusbajusz said:
I agree with Chris on this stupid 17" front wheel thing.
To be honest I disagree with all guys who buys a bike than completely change and rebuild it with different sometimes good sometimes bad quality parts. Why to make a DL a sportbike? Why doesn't he buy an SV or a supermoto. They both already have all the sporty features which is missing from the DL.
Hey out there, PLEASE understand the DL is DEFINITELY NOT a sportbike and will never be, even with a 17" front wheel. Also NOT an OFF ROADER. The DL is a TOURER with SOME (meant: (sometimes very) limited) off road and GOOD (but not perfect) curving capabilities. I already posted in an other topic although Suzuki ads say it is, nobody can expect from the DL to be the ultimate Sport-Enduro-Tourer. Why? Just because the parameters of a sport, a tourer or an enduro bike are contradictory.
I simply cannot be brought! :shock:

The DL is good as is. SOME mods like lowering links, seat, handlebar risers etc are ok because they serve our COMFORT but do not change very hardly the concept and the characteristic of the bike.

Why would my ideas make you angry???
You dont have to like them but making you angry is a bit silly.

I guess you didnt realy read my post along with few others. I never said that I wanted to make a Vstrom into a sport bike. I already have the
ultimate sport bike.

Supermoto or SV is NOT good for 2 up or long distance.

All I want to do is improve an already a verry capable platform to my desire of performance. I have built and modified bikes for a long time and have been able to transform a totaly poor performing motorcycle into an extreamely enjoyable one with an inextansive amount of work and other time with extansive amount of work and mods.

I'v had people ride my bikes preped my way and than jump back on thairs (same model but stock) not beliving the difference and than wanting to have thairs modified.

On a very twisty road up to 80 mph a good and well experianced rider on a stock vstrom can leave most sportbikes behind especialy if its a rough road, seen it more than once. Track is a different storry and no place for a strom.

IN my opinion Vstrom is the ultimate spor/enduro/tourer over the rest of bikes in it's class. I just test rode GS1200, Buell Ulyesses, KTM 950 adv and Multistrada, all at least an hour ride with my Girlfriend on the back through city, highway and country back roads. I will post a writeup in MY OPINION of the comperisson between all of them for those interested.

Last, what I was realy hopping by posting was to possably hear from some other people that understand where I'm comming from and have done simmilar mods. All tha same, no offence taken everyone's entitled to thair opinion.

Safe riding.......V :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
2vornot2v-

I hear your points about the upgrades and agree for the most part.
I also think he wasn't being all that tough on you, but rather a poor translation into English. MOKUSBA, not jabbing you. English is pretty good.

Personally I could give a damn less what the other motorcyclist does to mod his bike. Run it with no pipes for all I care. Spend 20 grand on it to make it as fast as a Busa. Whatever. Why do I care? I ride to ride, not to conform, or not, to what others think is acceptable.

Anyway I have recently had an accident and the bike is sitting ready to be repaired as soon as I can move decently. I have been looking to upgrade the brakes as well. I have looked at some other Suzuki front brakes and many look familiar to the Strom, might bolt right up with a simplw bracket. Somewhere I read that someone put a Katana front caliper on the Strom, caan't find it though. Even a change in the pads I have heard makes a heck of a difference. I plan on the new pads and stainless lines this winter, and I'll post how it goes.

Better brakes up front I think you would need a better spring too, Wilbers or something. But it starts to get pricey after a bit, and I simply cannot afford to keep dropping cash into this bike. Someday I want to just be done with a bike I own and be happy just riding it.
:roll

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ononewheel said:
2vornot2v-

I hear your points about the upgrades and agree for the most part.
I also think he wasn't being all that tough on you, but rather a poor translation into English. MOKUSBA, not jabbing you. English is pretty good.

Personally I could give a damn less what the other motorcyclist does to mod his bike. Run it with no pipes for all I care. Spend 20 grand on it to make it as fast as a Busa. Whatever. Why do I care? I ride to ride, not to conform, or not, to what others think is acceptable.

Anyway I have recently had an accident and the bike is sitting ready to be repaired as soon as I can move decently. I have been looking to upgrade the brakes as well. I have looked at some other Suzuki front brakes and many look familiar to the Strom, might bolt right up with a simplw bracket. Somewhere I read that someone put a Katana front caliper on the Strom, caan't find it though. Even a change in the pads I have heard makes a heck of a difference. I plan on the new pads and stainless lines this winter, and I'll post how it goes.

Better brakes up front I think you would need a better spring too, Wilbers or something. But it starts to get pricey after a bit, and I simply cannot afford to keep dropping cash into this bike. Someday I want to just be done with a bike I own and be happy just riding it.
:roll
Thanks for the reply ononewhel, didnt men to sound to defensive.
No biggie realy, just wanted to point out some facts.
Hope you have a spedy recovery and alls ok

Madison WI, havent been there in about 4 yrs. Used to go just about every year since 91 up to Westby for the Yamaha xs650 ralley. Never had one of those but used to hook up with some crazy guys and do a lot of back road scratching, love that whole area. Got bit by the Wildcat mntn (frost heave) one year and had to ride back home to Toronto in bit of a rough shape.
I may come that way this year (Sept long weekend) if I can as some of the boys have been putting the preasure on since I havent been there in a while.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to make some alumminium addaptor plates for the calipers. I wouldn't go for anything bigger than 4 pots, ideal being earlier (00 -03) gsxr 600/750 or SV1000. .95 or 1 kilo racetech springs will do a great job and you're right, a must also ss lines with decent pads and you're in the ultimate teretory.

If I come up with something 1'st I'll let ya know.

V.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
2VORNOT2V,

sorry if I did offend you, I didn't want!
On one hand I even agree with modifications driven by making the DL better bike. But (as I already posted in an other topic) I see some conflicts which comes from the concept itself of the DL.
It is IMHO impossible to design and produce a universal sport-enduro-touring allrounder carthorse which is excellent or even very good at all those 3 types of riding styles. Just because the needs are different of a tourer of an enduro or a sportbike. For example a tyre which has excellent stiction on pavement is not so wear-resistant (longlasting), or a blade in a surviving tool is not so simple, easy and comfortable to use than a real knife. I hope it's clear for everybody what I try to explain.
Of course you can make mods to shift a feature to make the DL more sporty, offroad or touring but at the same these mods definitely will have mostly negative impact on its other capabilities. Having smaller front wheel - makes less off road ability, stiffer springs - not so comfortable, etc. Aren't that against its original concept of to be a universal allrounder? Also these mods sometimes are quite costly which finally makes your otherwise cheap bike becoming an expensive one.
So again it is of course everybody's free choice to do whatever want with his bike and I respect his opinion. It is just what I wouldn'to because I need all the (limited) features the DL has and gives me unlike all other bike on the market.
Sorry again if I were insolent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Moku, no problem, maybe just a little language barier in the axpression department probably on both sides :lol: ,,alls good.

Your points about the wheel etc. are all valid and I'm aware of that but For me the requirements of this bike are primeraly for street use, comfort and distance, two up and when I hit the mountain roads that it handles to it's best potential.
Worst off road it will see is a gravel road here and there.

Ever ride in Croatia. I'm from Dalmatian coast (Split area), and might be shipping my bike to Budapest (closest port) in couple of years to spend some months at home and do some riding in the sorounding area.

Damn, i spent 2 hours typing a very long report last night on a test ride comperisson of 5 bikes I just did in last couple of weeks, GS1200, buell Ully, Multistrada, KTM and V-strom all 06 models and when I went to post it my log in expired and I lost the whole thing.
I was so damn pissed. I'm a slow 2 finger typer, you guys know how to prevent this?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Type long replies in a word processor or notepad. When ready, copy and paste the text into the forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not my Strom but one I found somewhere

These might have been posted here before, sorry if they have. Modified=extreme=big money.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts