StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
I've seen it in Canaidan tire up here in Canada, but I suspect that won't help you a lot. The 5w40 Rotella worked fine for me on my 2006 even down to 4 degrees f.

..Tom

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bet you could order some at the local NAPA.........

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Shell data sheet does not mention JASO-MA standards for the Rotella T6 0W-40. Other good choices for that climate might be Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 0W-40 (perhaps only available in Canada; replacing the Esso XD-3 0W-40) or Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30. It might take a trip to Canada to get any of these. A Shell or ExxonMobil distributor might know who's retailing these, or visit a local truck stop.

http://www.epc.shell.com/documentRequest.asp?type=TDS&documentId=99809946

·
Administrator
13,728 Posts
I've been known to bit colder than 4°f, at -10, no problem, tried to go riding once @ -25°f by the time I got started, the temp rose to -15
Yeah that's pretty cold! I like when it gets down to where Celcius and Farenheit cross (around -38) When we were camping in Scouts you could run around in the snow in your long underwear and socks (no boots on) and the snow wouldn't melt on the socks. I've never ridden my bike in that cold.

I can see wanting 0w40. When chaning my oil in my (unheated) garage in the winter you could really see a difference in the flow of the oil from the bottle.

..Tom

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

access denied

I've only seen mention of 0w40 in a couple of diesel online rags, can't seem to find anything myself on a Shell website and online retailers only list 5w40 which is why I asked the question here

I will stop at my local NAPA and ask if they can order it and hope that I don't have to order a case of gallons or a pail minimum

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
it has just come to my attention that Shell introduced Rotella T6 full synthetic in 0w-40 viscosity last December, anyone know where I can buy some? all I can seem to find is 5w-40
Castrol and Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 is about $50 for 6 quarts on Amazon.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Tractor Supply

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Castrol and Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-40 is about $50 for 6 quarts on Amazon.
Those are automotive engine oils. The Rotella 0W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 0W-40 are diesel engine oils.

·
Administrator
17,352 Posts
Those are automotive engine oils. The Rotella 0W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 0W-40 are diesel engine oils.
Yes....but if there are no friction modifiers, you are good to go.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I live in a cold climate and the majority of the vehicles run a 5/20 or 5/30 in the winter. The newer cars have gone to a 0/20 but that is for fuel mileage. Diesels will run a 5/40 or the newer ones can probably get away with the 0/40.

You'll have no issues with using any 5/40 oil in the winter. I've lived and worked at -40 C or F or lower, and any 5 Weight oil will start if the rest of the engine is in good shape. Syncs are the way to go in the winter.

One of the biggest issues you will have in cold weather is getting the engine up to temperature, enough to burn off the condensation. Up in this neck of the woods in the winter many exhausts will plug off with the condensation/converters if they are left to idle or just run at slow speed. They never get the engine & exhaust hot enough to prevent condensation.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll have no issues with using any 5/40 oil in the winter.
you do realize I am talking about using it in my Vee, not a car or truck

below -15°f or so, cranking speed is too slow with 5w, even with battery tender and full charge, you have one chance, been there, done that with tuned up easy starting bike

no problem when I leave it parked inside of course, that may not be practical on the road, I want to be prepared the best I can, stranded in subzero weather can be life threatening, I will be taking other precautions as well, installing external charging system I bought form RealShelby, and aux battery bank, hopefully with 1100 cranking amps

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am aware that your are wanting to run it in your bike, but the only winter/cold temperature comparison you are going to find with 0 or 5 weight oils, is those used in the auto/truck world. I'm thinking of things like pour points etc.

If you really want the bike to start consistently in -15 F then you should be looking at a supplementary heating system, we call them block heaters/circulating heaters. Then you need access to power when the bike is stopped outside. Short of that there are many other things that people do in a cold climate to try and get something to start in the morning: ie: take the battery in/out of the bike, put a light bulb under the oil pan, drain the oil when you shut the engine off and put back in the morning.

If you check and search some of the adventure sites I'm sure you get some good ideas on how to make it work.

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am aware that your are wanting to run it in your bike, but the only winter/cold temperature comparison you are going to find with 0 or 5 weight oils, is those used in the auto/truck world. I'm thinking of things like pour points etc.

If you really want the bike to start consistently in -15 F then you should be looking at a supplementary heating system, we call them block heaters/circulating heaters. Then you need access to power when the bike is stopped outside. Short of that there are many other things that people do in a cold climate to try and get something to start in the morning: ie: take the battery in/out of the bike, put a light bulb under the oil pan, drain the oil when you shut the engine off and put back in the morning.

If you check and search some of the adventure sites I'm sure you get some good ideas on how to make it work.
I am well aware of all the things you speak, and more, I've even started a campfire under a log skidder to warm it up

every little bit helps even the difference in pour point of 0w vs 5w

1 - 20 of 31 Posts