StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone go to the length of setting up a completely different set of wheels for the V-Strom. Like touring tires for one set and a set that leans more to off road but not full off road? Or is there that magical one tire that does it all. Mostly road riding with some dirt and gravel roads and trails. And if you set up another set, where and what rims did you use? Mike in Fremont, ca.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Metzler tourance are good on off. about 90% on road, 10% off. I have put many miles on them and love them on the road and when I went offroad they performed wonderful.

my $.02 worth.

M

·
0 Posts
Oh boy another opinion post!
Now everyone say why their tires are the greatest since the stone wheel.

To answer the OP question. I think you might find that purchasing another set of wheels will in the end not be cost effective. But if you have the cash go for it. I don't think there is a tire made that does both dirt and street well. Oooops I started it, didn't I?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean. On an FJR site we have a never ending thread section. Of course tires, oil etc are in that section but doesn't stop other threads from starting.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I am looking to do the same thing. What I am planing of doing is finding a salvage V for under $1500. I have seen them but most of them out of state and with shipping it was more than what I wanted to spend.

But this way you not only get a new set of wheels (I will put TKC80 on one set and Conti roads on the other) but you get an engine and other good components for spare parts if ever needed. And you get to learn a lot more about your bike since you got a spare one to tear in to just to look and learn.

A new set of complete wheels will run about 2k so 1500 for a complete crashed bike is a good reasonable price IMHO.

M

·
0 Posts
Yikes! 2K for wheels. It might be worth getting a wheel balancer and some spoons, and just shoe up dirt tires when you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts