Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So, this is an awkward way to enter a group...
With a recent move away from a snowy climate, I traded my Skidoo Renegade for a 2008 DL650 VStrom - with both of us quite happy with the trade. My sled worked well, but had some worn edges, and his bike had sat in a garage for a decade with only 400 miles on it.

The bike started well, and short jaunts went fine, but when I finished moving in I noticed the power would choke out whenever I went over a given RPM. This line kept lowering until I bit the bullet to find out what went wrong. Long story short, the tank was full of rust and the fuel pump filter was completely chewed away. In the couple weeks between when I ordered the replacement parts and when they arrived, I used electrolysis to clean my tank out, and then my kids helped me clean my shop. The last part wasn't intentional.

My part arrives, I reassemble the bike, and I find an extra part in my separate clean bin. I don't know this bike very well at all, I can't find the part described in the shop manual, in photos online, and don't recall removing it. Does anyone recognize the spring in the attached photo (the quarter is in there for scale)? I'm guessing it was meant to retract a cable... I don't recall it from my bike, and it's certainly possible it was hanging around in my shop and the kids put it into the bin (ie, it's not from the bike)

What I had disassembled: removed side ferring, front cowling, tank, briefly opened the air filter to check it (clean), and then removed the fuel pump and disassembled the pump assembly to clean it all (and replace the filter). After the 2 weeks delay, everything was reassembled again.

Any help would be appreciated, and I really hate to be that guy with the extra part!

Cheers,
Ben from BC

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome bdm, hope you enjoy it here!

Can't say I recognize that spring.

Did you replace the suction screen and the internal fuel filter within the pump?

I took my 2008 DL650 fuel pump apart this Spring to do the fuel filter bypass and don't recall seeing that spring.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Welcome. You will find a lot of real knowledgeable members here. They will chime in.

I think this spring is not from your bike. Given the low mileage we need to assume is bone stock and I have not seen such a spring.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I've had my front fairing & tank off for valve checks and air filter replacement (but haven't taken the fuel pump out) and I don't remember seeing this spring either. This may or not be a clue, but the spring looks too shiny and new to come from an 11 year old bike that has sat, I'd expect a little tarnishing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

Alas, the kids are 6 and 9, and have intermittent bouts of liking to be helpful. They don't remember anything about the spring, and I don't really want to take away from their joy from contributing...

I'll happily put this into my container of random springs.

I replaced the gasket, replaced the fuel filter within the pump assembly (perhaps what @gdrew referred to as the suction screen) but wasn't aware of a filter within the pump...). The photo is of the old filter, the new filter (in the plastic bag), and the sacrificial anode.

I have the bike together, and it starts up just fine. Unfortunately, the fuel pump filter & gas tank de-rusting didn't fix my problem. Gah!
[loss of power - starts easily, and for the first few minutes I can go right up to 9k+ rpm without choking out (power stops around 5-6k, though). As the motor heats up, the motor begins to choke out at lower and lower RPMs. After 15 minutes, it's choking out at 2.5-3.5k, which is tough as the power is barely starting then, and I'd choke out below that under load/higher gears]

I guess I'll go deeper and clean out all my fuel lines that I can get access to, then decide how much further to go. I'm guessing given the sheer amount of rust in the tank and pulverized fuel filter previously that the issue will be either a pump that can't keep up with higher demand or some crap in the fuel lines/injectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Given the status of your tank, your high pressure filter (the one inside the pump) is partially or almost completely plugged. You need to do the "fuel filter bypass treatment":

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,6105.0.html

https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/426207-fuel-filter-bypass-mod.html

There are MANY threads about it. Typically with a normal life of the Vstrom this happens after 30-50k, depending on how much crap you get each time you fill the tank.

Also I think you need to coat your tank or else the rust will keep re-appearing. Search for tank rust treatment stromtrooper:

One recent thread:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-products/422259-por15-fuel-tank-rust-repair-kit.html

Or hunt for a used tank on e-bay.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So yes, what you replaced was the suction screen not the high pressure filter...sorry to say. The "fuel filter bypass" is likely the most cost effective fix to get the fuel flow rate back up to spec. The source of the problem (rust in tank) is a another issue. You can try fixing the tank you have or search the interweb for a replacement tank. I think blaustrom is on the right track with coating the inside of your tank if it isn't beyond repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much @blaustrom and @gdrew!

Now that I know to look for the fuel filter bypass solution, I can see it all over the place.
Following through some of those links eventually resulted in photos of the same filter assembly I have, which will make it much easier. I figure if the bypass gets messed up, I'll be looking at having to get the new assembly/filter anyway, so not that bad of a risk.

I wasn't fully happy with the incomplete rust removal with electrolysis, so the POR kit will likely help a lot (and then the coating to keep it nice). It looks like I know what I'll be doing for my next weekend off.

Cheers!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hangman's noose for a very tiny gremlin

I would be thinking back to what was it that I was last cleaning with solvent, could be left over from another project. Could be random trash from the previous home owner that missed the broom until now.
Helpful 6 & 9 year-olds ? Could one have traded a glow in the dark pencil eraser or something for the spring thingy and then dropped it in Dad's dark stinky solvent to see what would happen to it? >:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts