StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local lockshop to buy an extra and ended up with one too short to work on the ignition but is OK for the luggage. They used a devise to see if there was a chip in the key plastic housing and said there was none. Has anyone had an extra key made, was it a national hardware chain?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Go to a reputable locksmith. The one I went to had the blank on the wall and did a perfect job. I think I was out $10. I wouldn't trust a guy from a box store to cut a key I cared about.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Go to a reputable locksmith. The one I went to had the blank on the wall and did a perfect job. I think I was out $10. I wouldn't trust a guy from a box store to cut a key I cared about.
+1 Think the store that did mine was COPS

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
An ILCO X276 SUZ16 blank works.

Pats, on yours, try filing or grinding the shoulders back so the key can slip farther into the ignition switch, if possible.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Same here. He said it was a standard Suzuki car key blank; nothing special. Works just fine.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I got into the practice of alternating my 2 keys every other ride so they both wear the same, but I really do need to get another spare... thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Lrobby99

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got into the practice of alternating my 2 keys every other ride so they both wear the same, but I really do need to get another spare... thanks for the reminder.
I never even used my spare on my '06 and my key was in perfect shape when I sold my bike.

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
I never even used my spare on my '06 and my key was in perfect shape when I sold my bike.
The key may be in new shape, but the wear on the ignition will change with the wear of the key being used.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Much better to put one away so you have one with no wear. If you have to have another key cut, you want it cut from a key without wear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow, has anybody here actually worn down a key?!
I can see the ignition switch getting worn out ー considering all the moving parts ー but the actual key... I can't say I've ever seen that happen.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reputable locksmith???? I went to the locksmith that the Men in Black, went to when they needed assistance!!! :bom_alien:

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Wow, has anybody here actually worn down a key?!
I can see the ignition switch getting worn out ー considering all the moving parts ー but the actual key... I can't say I've ever seen that happen.
Yes. I had an older bike and it only came with 1 key that was very visibly worn, as was the ignition. I could pull the key out with the bike running. I sold the bike before replacing the ignition. Hence, I figure if I use both keys then the keys and ignition will all wear at the same rate. You may have a brand new key but the tumblers inside the ignition will have been work by just metal on metal over the years and won't be identical to a brand new key. That said, I doubt it really matters in the scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Bikes in Australia are fitted with an immobiliser so a second key is:

Blank key from Suzuki $76.
Have blank cut $10
Have key programmed to bike $100.

So a princely sum of $186 AUD :yikes:

Still suppose that's cheap when compared to some car key replacement costs.

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts