StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While things are apart for clutch basket repair and valve check, I was thinking of an additional fan. I do a fair amount of Police cone course practice, mostly on my Harley as the DL heats to four bars quickly and will cough and stall once and a while. Not a good thing at full lock and lean.
My thoughts were to remove the stock horn, fabricate a mount if necessary, install a handlebar switch, and wire the additional fan to an un switched circuit so I could control it manually when necessary. The unswitched circuit would also allow me to continue opperation with the key off as the stock fan is on a switched circuit.
Any thoughts? Thanks, Roger

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's totally unnecessary. The stock fan is more than adequate if in proper condition. The four bars is a problem and you need to find the cause. It can be the thermostat, the thermoswitch or the fan. Disconnect the wire from the switch on the fan and see if the fan comes on and spins freely. If not, check that the fan is not being trapped against misshapen plastic and replace it if necessary.

If shorting the switch contacts starts the fan alright, check the thermoswitch. It should close at about 105C(221F) and open again at about 100C(212F). Replace it if it doesn't. If that is all okay, take out the thermostat and check that it is in good physical condition and opens at about 88C or 190F.

The last possibilities are cooling system deposits, especially in the radiator, that insulate the coolant from the air, air in the system or clogged radiator fins.

Don't try to alter the system. It works fine when working properly. Fix the system you have.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat, although I always admire your knowledge and insight I have to respectively disagree (at least temporarily) with you here. While running the cone courses we are at a constant 1800-2200 RPM in first gear while slipping the clutch the entire time. Even after two runs on the HD I have to stop and let it cool. (I do realize we are talking apples and oranges here)
Friends with older DL1000's seem to have cooler running bikes while those of us with newer models.
I have checked the fan for proper operation and although I haven’t removed the thermostat to check for an opening temperature, the fan does come on a little before the four bars hit. I have bled the coolant system and re checked for air in the system and the radiator fins are in relatively good shape for 17K miles. I've done the TBS, TPS, Hot idle adj, and gap at least twice.
Under normal riding conditions on the highways the bike remains at two bars regardless of ambient temperatures or load conditions. In Stop and go traffic it alternates between 2 and 3 bars unless outside temps are over 100 F. and then it can hit four. The only time it hits four bars while traveling is when ascending steep terrain in first gear, with a load, at higher RPM’s
Asperation, exhaust and fuel management are all stock. I have considered a PCV, but my understanding is that the lower RPM cells are blocked from adjustment due to EPA rules and those would be the cells I need to target.
I believe the TL models have two fans, which is what got me thinking. Again, I'm not trying to be combative here; I'm just trying to get my perspective and needs across. And my sole thought for needing an extra fan is for running cone courses at cooler operating temps. Roger

·
38,103 Posts
The fan should come on very shortly after the third bar appears and a fourth should never come up. It sounds like either your thermo switch is coming on too late or the sensor that determines the bars is off. Really, check the temps involved. On your side of the situation is the fourth bar should not come on if the fan is already running though.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/36751-radiator-fan.html

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll check for thermostat opening temp and fan starting temp when things are apart and report back. Assuming I can find a liquid I can heat to 105 C. Roger

·
38,103 Posts
Use a laser temp gun while everything is on the bike. Something like Non-Contact Infrared Laser Thermometer is really helpful for cooling system work as long as it isn't used on a highly reflective surface.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crap, hadn't thought of that. Just pulled the radiator and clutch case. I'll see what I can come up with in the next few days. I have to go cook dinner for the little woman now. That could inspire me :yesnod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts