StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mount external speaker system on their Strom?

I sometimes ride with an MP3 and earbuds that I found OK, but a friend just bought a new HD ( I know I know) :rolleyes: that has a batwing fairing with a Stereo System in it. I sat on it yesterday with the radio going and think I would like the external speakers over the earbuds.

There are lots of different makes, most similar this this kind of system...
http://www.motorcycletunes.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MT-4AS&cat=151

with a video here to explain it better... Fast forward to about 40 seconds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rsI_G0G44U

Different systems have different size speakers as well as different wattage Amps etc.
I have a few ideas about mounting it all which is not much problem adding it to my Wee, but wondering if their are any cons that the members here can come up with.

Thanks

BTW, my buddies bike is an 09 Ultra Standard that cost him 25,000 and 1400 a year for insurance :frown2:

Ken

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I suppose the problem is the charging system won't be able to handle the audio systems amplifier. You might be alright if you don't run anything else. Instead of regular ear buds how about trying a com system (autocom, Starcom, Behr)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose the problem is the charging system won't be able to handle the audio systems amplifier. You might be alright if you don't run anything else. Instead of regular ear buds how about trying a com system (autocom, Starcom, Behr)
Yea, I've been looking at those wattage ratings. various systems say their power is 100-300 watts, etc. But looking further in the specs they're often only drawing 25-50W.
They like using the max #s just cause people think it's better/louder I guess. I'm still a little reluctant (this is why I started the thread, as I've never seen this discussed before.)

But looking on youtube there are hundreds of motorcycles on it showing dozens of different stereo configurations.

I must say that I have zero experience with helmet speakers, just my 20 dollar player and my 15 dollar skullcandy earbuds.

I've also thought about the coms systems you mentioned but they still require earbuds or helmet speakers. Many have bluetooth systems and I know a few guys that use Scala gear with success.

I'm not ruling nothing out yet.

I have to leave the Country soon and won't be back till mid Nov. Won't need anything till next spring so I got lots of time to ponder and decide.

Ken

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I had to re-read your post before commenting, and when I got to "any cons?", decided it is worth it.

My thoughts? Don't do it. External speakers are just plain tasteless.

Think of the volumes you have to keep it pumped to so that you can hear the music over the road/wind noise, through the helmet and, (hopefully), your earplugs. Even if you reduce the volume when puttering around in town, you will still be annoying anyone nearby.

Is your bike nothing but a mobile "Boombox" that you can inflict your " excellent" taste in music on the rest of the world?

Okay, okay, maybe I'm feeling a bit crabby this morning. But 30 years ago, (feels like 10....really!:rolleyes:), I did blast the neighbourhood with an overstressed Blaupunkt in a Datsun 510. Today I remember it with some embarrassment, even though I had excellent taste too.

Stick with earbuds or helmet speakers and enjoy the tunes for yourself.
(And keep Vancouver Island the idyllic place I like to remember it as):D

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Thanks Rob...it needed to be said. ;)
Ditto ... there are few things as annoying to me as sitting on the wall in my favorite "Quiet Spot" down on the Natchez Trace Parkway listening to nothing at all for a change and then and hearing some dimwit on a Harley with straight pipes and a thousand watt stereo pumping country music all over the countryside.

I listen to music when I ride but I keep it to myself as well. Etymotic ear buds and an MP3 player are all I need.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Actually, I never really considered how much of a nuisance I would be with this thing going. I'll certainly add this to my decision making.

There's also cons to the earbuds as well though. What about earbuds and not being able to hear emergency vehicles? I don't see this being much of a factor but that's what my HD buddy thinks.

The faster you go the louder the sound will be have to be, and it's directly in your ears. I'm not much of a fan of that either.
Not trying to be argumentative.. Just looking for opinions.

Keep'em coming...

to WeeRob
(And keep Vancouver Island the idyllic place I like to remember it as)

Nice place this Island, but I can't wait to move back East!!:mod2_yes:

Thanks

Ken

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can hear emergency vehicles and outside noises better with good earplugs. Wind noise is literally deafening. Either you protect your ears and play music as loud as the sirens, or go for in ear speakers that also protect your ears from wind noise. A lot of solutions work for shorter trips but for day after day of touring, nothing beats custom molded ear buds. I use the ones at http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/chmisearph.html
They protect your ears from wind noise and allow you to keep the music volume at a safe level instead of making it louder than the already harmful levels riding without earplugs. I can still hear outside noises like nearby vehicles and sirens.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
The faster you go the louder the sound will be have to be, and it's directly in your ears. I'm not much of a fan of that either.
Not trying to be argumentative.. Just looking for opinions.
That logic applies more to your external speaker idea than it does earbuds. With any decent set of buds, you'll set the music to a comfortable level and not have any issue with wind noise.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
There's also cons to the earbuds as well though. What about earbuds and not being able to hear emergency vehicles? I don't see this being much of a factor but that's what my HD buddy thinks.

External noise is a non-issue, if you buy a good set of earphones. As long as you keep the music volume at a sensible level, you can hear car horns and sirens very easily. I have an old pair of Shure earphones and they work well enough you can leave the music off and they function as earplugs, keeping out all the unwanted wind noise. Your best bet would be to get some good earplugs soon, so you can stop listening to your Harley buddy.

E2c

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I agree with WeeRob. Every time I hear a Harley rider with his stereo cranked up, it just makes me hope they will crash for the sake of silence. Loud stereos are obnoxious enough in cars. Putting one on a bike shows a lack of class that borders on mental disability.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I agree with WeeRob. Every time I hear a Harley rider with his stereo cranked up, it just makes me hope they will crash for the sake of silence. Loud stereos are obnoxious enough in cars. Putting one on a bike shows a lack of class that borders on mental disability.
+1 Don't forget the Goldwing guys too. What bothers me even more are the idiots who leave the stereos on when they're parked. Do you really need music to remove your helmet by?

·
Registered
274 Posts
What about earbuds and not being able to hear emergency vehicles? I don't see this being much of a factor but that's what my HD buddy thinks.
I use cheap skull candy earphones, and can keep the volume at a comfortable leve and still hear emergency vehicles several streets away. Not an issue.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Did a charity ride earlier this year.

I learned some neat stuff:

1. If you want to ride less slow, be at the ail end of the ride.

2. People on HD Electra-Glides really seem to love Nickelback. And they want to share that love.

3. Straight-pipers don't like being told that their bikes sound like Gangsta' Rap from a Pimpmobile.

I'm thinking about using the two 2" wide bands of my unused rear tire surface to run a pair of bicycle tire generators so I can share with the motoring public my love of free-form avante-guard jazz drum solos from a rearward-facing boombox.

Loud boomboxes save lives, you know.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking about using the two 2" wide bands of my unused rear tire surface to run a pair of bicycle tire generators so I can share with the motoring public my love of free-form avante-guard jazz drum solos from a rearward-facing boombox.

Loud boomboxes save lives, you know.
Good one!!!!

Ken

·
Registered
57 Posts
External noise is a non-issue, if you buy a good set of earphones. As long as you keep the music volume at a sensible level, you can hear car horns and sirens very easily. I have an old pair of Shure earphones and they work well enough you can leave the music off and they function as earplugs, keeping out all the unwanted wind noise. Your best bet would be to get some good earplugs soon, so you can stop listening to your Harley buddy.

E2c
+1 on the Shure 2c's. Same volume at idle as at 70mph - in a Scorpion Full face helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
external speakers ???? !!!!
Please don't ride your boom box near me or in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The external speakers (boombox) might be acceptable in Colwood, definitely not in Sidney "by the Sea", and in Oak Bay, they would just shoot you... with a crumpet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts