StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question; Is it worth buying an extended warranty for an 09 650?
I'm a new member and I bought my brand new V last year. So far I've put 6800 miles on it without any problems. I've looked around the web and haven't seen any real issues that would make me think I need the extended Warranty ...but then again "better safe....".

·
Registered
870 Posts
They are pretty bulllet proof, it depends if you really want to pay the money

I reckon the two years we get from factory is going to be good enough for any major faults and being able to do your own service shows Suzuki know how good the product is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Extended warranties on any new product are usually not a good deal for the consumer. It is amazing how well most things are made today and how long they will last, except for dishwashers, but that is another story. There is always the exception to the rule and you might be the one to get the bad item but generally you should save your money for the repairs necessary when the warranty runs out.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I've had a 2003 Vee, a 2005 Wee, and now a 2008 Wee ABS. I've put around 55,000 miles between the three of them, and have never had a mechanical problem. The 2003 had an extended warranty - in 22,000 miles it was never used. Use the money for a custom seat or other farkles instead...

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
What we all call an extended warranty is legally not a warranty. It is a prepaid service contract. It does not extend the factory warranty. The buyer of the extended service plan does not have the protection in federal law that a real warranty is required to give. The extended service plan covers only what is listed in the fine print if, and only if, the buyer (you) does everything that fine print requires you to do.

All that said, the so-called extended warranty is actually peace of mind insurance. Financially it is a bad deal just about every time. A few people win, just like a few win the lottery. Most people lose money. The service plan is priced so the salesman makes a commission, the dealership makes a profit, the underwriters make a profit, and something is left over to pay claims. If you really want to buy this peace of mind insurance, find a dealership on line that sells the factory plan for much less than the local stealership.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Depends on cost. In Canada to buy a extra 2 year sI think it was would cost 2500-3k or some high number like that. so hell no not happening. Friend state side got a deal, 3 years extended warranty for his sv650 he got for 500$ or something low. At that point jump all over that

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ptrider said it best, its a gamble that most probably will no pay off. I never got a extended warranty and of the things that did break on me, were not covered by it anyway. The cost of the repairs that I put on my cars covered the initial cost of the warranty none the less.

Everyone that does not get the extended warranty at the dealer when they buy the bike, will get a paper a month or two before the factory warranty runs out, giving a second chance to sign up, and usually at lower cost then what the dealer offered.

Really, its a chance gamble that you are taking a bet on a future event that may or may not happen, and if this event does happen, would it have just been cheaper to pay out of pocket.

Decisions .. decisions ... Read the fine print before signing up. Read it 3 times

What did i do.. I went with out...

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it follows with my experience in RVs, boats, and cars, markup is 100%. The dealer buys for $500, sells to you for $1000. Anything between is a better deal than retail.

Never buy retail! :fineprint:

·
Registered
67 Posts
extended warranty price

The only extended warranty I ever bought was on my 2006 Honda. It is a Hybrid model so repairs can get $$$. 5 years extra for $800 was worth it to me.I shopped on the net and got a much better deal than local. It works the same way for cycles as well. Anyway check fleabay under "Suzuki SEP" I believe? I just saw them last week.
That i-net dealer sells them cheaper than your local probably will.
Get an i-net price and then call local to at least harass them about being so darn high on everything they service or sell. I always give"local" a chance on any major purchase. If a couple of extra years is worth $300.00 or so then do it. I have about a month to decide. Only reason I would buy it is for future resale. But I do love my WEE so that may never happen.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Does this mean that not all Suzuki dealerships charge the same amount for the extended warranty plans they sell?

Thanks.
Are there non-Suzuki plans offered at Suzuki dealerships? Be wary. If the outfit goes bust, the buyer is left with nothing.

eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Motorcycle-Extended-Warranty-SEP-72-Months-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51919bd69fQQitemZ350335260319QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
$469 for five years beyond the factory warranty. There might be cheaper ones...shop around.

Suzuki farms out the administration of their Suzuki Extended Protection plan to an independent outfit. A poster here a few months back told his story of trying to get repairs paid for by SEP. It took at least two requests from the dealership, with which he had a good relationship, to get authorization for payment.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Extended warranties cover the period of a product's life when it is LEAST likely to fail, so they are generally a waste of money. They are however a good money spinner for retailers and insurers, so if you want to line their pockets from yours, fill your boots!

·
Registered
184 Posts
when I purchased my Wee I fell for the trap and bought the darn thing. Thankfully I was able to get out of it. I took it home and read it over when the hype of a new bike was now behind me. After reading it over it does not really cover anything that the manuf 1 year warranty does not cover. The dealer will tell you that it covers things beyond the manuf warranty, but when you read the fine print it says that "normal wear and tear" are not covered. It then defines wear and tear as "use of any moving part." It also tells you what is not covered (which is vague at best). So basically if you ride the bike and something breaks then it is really up to interpretation of whoever will shell out the money to cover your expense.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I tend to agree that buying an extended warranty for a DL650 is a waste of money, but some people like the peace of mind it gives them. I would not buy one.
I am curious if anyone who has bought one for a Wee ever had a claim and what it was for.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Got the extended. I ended up using it in the last month of the contract. The water pump was leaking on my 06' Vee.

Pretty much got the price of the contract back. Granted, the repair would have been quicke,r had I done it myself.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My professional career was in the automotive and motorcycle industry. I have "some" experience with these things. These warranties are not warranties, as has been mentioned. Warranties are a consumer contract between the manufacturer and the customer and have a long legal history. These are, as has been mentioned, actually service contracts. They are not all equal and and they can be a pain in the backside.

My experience has been on a machine like the Strom that they are, for most, a waste of money. They make profit for the dealer and the company that sold them, period. In my years of Strom ownership the only part that ever needed replaced was one fork seal. It was under $20 for all the parts and I did it myself as the fork oil needed changed anyway.

When a dealer tries to sell me one of these things I just reply that, "if the machine is so unreliable that I need this, then I need to find a more reliable model".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts