StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have a 2014 that a bought as a left over last year (7/2015). The standard warranty is about to expire soon and I just got a letter from Suzuki asking if I want to purchase extended warranty. Has anyone done that? pros/cons? worth it?

Prices are:

24mo $486.00
36 $590.00
48 $710.00
60 $838.00
72 $1,126.00

·
Registered
201 Posts
I personally don't ever buy them on anything. I research items thoroughly and buy well reviewed and reliable items whenever possible. The V-strom fits that bill

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
1. keep in mind those terms include the first year of ownership, 24 months is only 1 extra year.
2. the list of things it does not cover is damn near the entire bike.
3. they tend to give them away, I don't think anyone ever buys them. they always have promotions on for free warranty. I bought my DRZ back in Feb and got a free 5 year warranty

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Call it peace of mind insurance. It is unlikely that a buyer will ever get close to their money back on repairs, but if it helps you sleep better at night, buy it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's a joke. We have bought the extended warranty on both the 2014 1000 and the 2013 650. Come to find out taking it to the dealer Suzuki claims normal wear items on everything and if it's not a catastrophic failure nothing gets covered according to the dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got the extended warranty for peace of mind. Bought a 2005 Harley electraglide and got the extended warranty-was well worth the price! I had 85k on the clock when it expired. If I ever need to use it on my Suzuki I hope it will be covered the same way as my HD. Never had any arguments on the Electra they just fixed it.

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
It's a joke. We have bought the extended warranty on both the 2014 1000 and the 2013 650. Come to find out taking it to the dealer Suzuki claims normal wear items on everything and if it's not a catastrophic failure nothing gets covered according to the dealer.
that's a dealership problem not a Suzuki Extended Warranty problem

who ever writes the warranty claims at that dealership sucks at his/her job

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The Suzuki Extended Protection Plan (SEPP), underwritten by Cornerstone United, and various extended service contracts sold by some dealerships might be different.

All these extended service contracts are priced to provide a commission to the salesman, a profit margin to the dealership, profit to the underwriter, and maybe something left to pay claims.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
So I have a 2014 that a bought as a left over last year (7/2015). The standard warranty is about to expire soon and I just got a letter from Suzuki asking if I want to purchase extended warranty. Has anyone done that? pros/cons? worth it?

Prices are:

24mo $486.00
36 $590.00
48 $710.00
60 $838.00
72 $1,126.00
Don't throw your money away. Extended warranties on ALL consumer goods are considered a free payday for all those involved in operating them and most of the problems that you might be unlucky enough to encounter will not be covered anyway. Any major warranty fault will almost certainly occur during the first 12 months.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My experience has been the same - not worth it. They gave my last bike's extended warranty to me free. As mentioned nothing reasonable is covered. Example: Piaggio had a known issue with the steering bearings complete with service bulletin - and yet to date nobody has been able to claim it under warranty - extended or not. Happens that it's a big hairy deal with service $$ around $1500. It may or may not have anything to do with the person writing it up but the end results is what matters - $$$ out of your pocket.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Might be worth something to a second hand buyer if the sale happens during the covered period and the warranty is transferable. Hard to quantify, however.

·
Registered
328 Posts
that's a dealership problem not a Suzuki Extended Warranty problem

who ever writes the warranty claims at that dealership sucks at his/her job
Nope: Straight from the area Suzuki service representative. He came out and looked/rode the bike.

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
Nope: Straight from the area Suzuki service representative. He came out and looked/rode the bike.
what kind of repair/claim were your trying to get done ?

could it be that you have unreasonable expectations and that it was normal wear

certainly not my experience, I don't even have extended warranty and Suzuki has gone out of their way to take responsibility for a portion of the costs I had from corrosion after riding in winter slop, deicers etc, (totally my fault for riding in conditions that motorcycles are not designed for) and my original warranty had long since expired

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I figure in the long run it is less expensive to repair/replace the few items that do fail then to purchase extended warranties all the time.
Besides if I feel I need an extended warranty then I probably will not buy it anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I agree with those who have expressed their opinion that extended warranties are not worth it. That said, if you choose to purchase one, look carefully on the Internet. There are reputable companies that sell Suzuki warranties at a deep discount. :wink2:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I bought it on my Tenere, but 4 extra years was only about $400 (the cost of a good set of tires and an oil change). On past extended warranties I broke even on warranty cost versus repairs on a Honda ATV and lost a small amount on a previous Yamaha bike. Neither Honda nor Yamaha ever gave me any issues. Like Randyo said, I believe it depends on the dealer to some degree.

I also believe that something like a bike, that many people do abuse, is worth more with 6 months or so of warranty left on it.

This advice is coming from a person that knows how to do wrenching on a bike and also logs 15,000 miles+ a year on it. I would pass on the warranty if I rode 5,000 miles or less a year.

I do not buy it on electronics or cars anymore.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Clutch switch

what kind of repair/claim were your trying to get done ?

could it be that you have unreasonable expectations and that it was normal wear

certainly not my experience, I don't even have extended warranty and Suzuki has gone out of their way to take responsibility for a portion of the costs I had from corrosion after riding in winter slop, deicers etc, (totally my fault for riding in conditions that motorcycles are not designed for) and my original warranty had long since expired
The rubber diaphragm on the clutch switch was fatigued and in three pieces. Less than 6 months old. Suzuki Rep says normal wear and tear???? Oil pressure light comes on then goes off before stating the motor, Suzuki Rep says it's operating correctly. I don't know about you but we have never had a faulty oil pressure light go off showing a problem before starting. The rep should be finding out the problem not saying it's fine when it most definitely isn't.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Read through this thread as I was contemplating purchase of SEP. Seems the overwhelming popular opinion is that 1) the SEP is a ponzi scheme (salesman, dealership, underwriter, etc), 2) Anything that isn't a catastrophic failure will be declined as "normal wear and tear", and 3) any major issues would surface inside the original 12-month factory warranty period. So in short, I'm going to ride out this season and if nothing happens (I'm still under warranty for another 6 months) I'll put the $ towards a nice slip-on can :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts