StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for visiting my posting. I just bought a new Vstrom, and the dealer gave me a week to decide whether to buy the extended warrantee or not. I've never purchased one in the past (for a bike), and I've never needed one. He said that he'd give it to me for a scant $1,000, and I believe that it would be for four years. Since the normal warrantee covers the bike for one year, that means that I'd be paying $1,000 for three years. Please help me decide! Thanks!!! Scott

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Just say no. They are a bad idea generally and a very bad idea on an item as reliable as a Strom.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
First

Any extended warrantee that is NOT from the Original Manufacturer is totally worthless.

2nd

If your at all handy most routine stuff you can do

3rd

Like Greywolf said doubt its worth it for a STROM

4th

IF you have a spare 1000 spend it all on gear ATTGATT. You have a helmet buy good armor boots, gloves, jacket, and pants if any $$ left over. Protecting your hide much more important than the bike

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Extended warranties (which are really insurance contracts) are nearly always worthless. Like any insurance, they are lucrative for the company precisely because most people never need it.

They can be worthwhile in some situations. For example, if you have the cash now and think your financial situation might degrade in the next few years, it might be a wise move.

However, unless it is a maintenance contract which covers things like valve adjustments, the price you quoted is extremely high. That kind of money would cover almost any repair imaginable (short of a new motor, which is vanishingly unlikely to be needed on this bike). I'd save it and earn some (paltry, these days) interest on it, and at the end of the four years, spend it on an upgraded suspension. :thumbup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Replies!

Thanks so much for the replies, Everyone! Hearing from experienced Strom riders about the reliability of my new bike makes me feel great! With Winter rapidly approaching, I need some hand guards... and of course, some engine guards and a skid plate... so I'll invest in those items instead of a get rich scheme to benefit the dealership. I'll check around this site for some suggestions as to where I should buy these items. Thanks again!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hand guards yes.

Engine guards and and a skid play, unless you are one of the 3% of strom owners that take their bike offroad, are mostly bike jewelry.

And just say no to a service contract, on a V-strom they are about as necessary as a service contract on a hammer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hand guards yes.

Engine guards and and a skid play, unless you are one of the 3% of strom owners that take their bike offroad, are mostly bike jewelry.

And just say no to a service contract, on a V-strom they are about as necessary as a service contract on a hammer.

Thanks for the info. Can you recommend some hand guards, as well as where to get them? It turns out that I am one of those 3%, so I'll need the crash bars too at least. Also, the bike is a little tall for me, so I'm sure that it will be dropped without even having to be in the dirt!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Extended Warrantee

I have just bought a 2009 DL1000 (5K miles) and will pick it up from the dealer in mid April at which time the dealers 30 day warantee will kick in. I have been offfered the Suzuki Extended Protection for 1 year @ $450, 2 year @ $650, and 3 years @ $850. Do you think its worth it? I sold my 2000 R1150GS in the fall and this is my first Japanese bike since 1979. I'm not familiar with the reliability issues of this bike though reading posts from this forum has increased my confidence and been a great help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Take the $1000 and put it in a separate bank account. During the next 4 years, only withdraw money for unplanned repairs. Then, when the 4 years is up, reward yourself with a nice $1000 moto vacation.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd skip it, especially at $1,000, since as one poster said, anything that goes wrong that is covered, probably won't cost nearly that much to fix. From what I hear, it's often a hassle to get the company that issues the warranty to cover repairs anyway--they try to claim it's your fault, or caused by some aftermarket part, etc.

If you do want one, shop around, you don't have to buy it from the dealer that sold you your bike. In a moment of doubt and weakness (and maybe alcohol) I got a 4-year one online for $325.00 from a Kawi dealer in Colorado for my KLR. I haven't needed it, of course, but I can sleep knowing I probably only wasted $325, wasting $1,000? that might keep me up at night :mrgreen:.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I haven't even been offered the extended warranty yet for my 2012 yet. Maybe when I go in and take delivery plus sign on the dotted lines?

They wanted $999.00 when I bought my SV new. I said "$9.99?" :yikes: They failed to see the humor in that and I passed. I had ONE warranty issue and they didn't even pay for labor, I had to. $70 bucks. :thumbdown: 50k miles on the SV and no major issues. I just had to keep throwing gas and tires at it.

I will decline it once again if asked.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I agree with GreyWolf and others.

It is unlikely that something happens due to the V-Strom known reliability, and if it happens it is likely to happen early in the game - in the first thousands of miles/first year (under warranty).
Even if something happens after that, $1000 would probably cover a good portion of the fix.
Furthermore, the warranty is not really "fender-to-fender". It covers only some key components (engine, gear), and Suzuki might just find that the issue was caused due to incorrect operation of the vehicle and void the warranty..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts