StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not intended to be vendor-bashing. I know a lot of people like Sena, including the 10 model. I just wanted to share my experience, which I have extensive documentation on, as a data point for others.

Got the 10R in early May '17. It didn't come with good installation instructions and the ones on the Sena site were also poor. It was a major hassle to install in my Shoei GT Air and even then, it didn't fit well. Then, the speakers were not loud or clear enough to be heard well at highway speeds inside that helmet, which is supposedly a "low noise" helmet. I had to buy the earbud adaptor and use buds. I found the three-button control system to be complicated. Also, it did not differentiate well between "taps" and "presses" which are different commands. Furthermore, any interruption of the bluetooth signal from my phone caused it to lose the bluetooth connectivity. So if I was listening to music and got a phone call, the system will not come back online after I hung up the call like a regular bluetooth headset would.

Then, in late Sept. one side quit working. I contacted Sena customer service and found them to be very difficult to deal with and I found their policies to be very bureaucratic, not in line with other vendors I deal with. Instead of just sending me a new control unit, they made me rip everything out of the helmet and send it to them, which I did. Then they lost it and wouldn't send me a replacement until they found it. Then they said they were moving their warehouse and I would have to wait for that to get sorted out. Then, last week they said 10Rs were out of stock and they had no idea when they could get me one. I asked if I could get a different model instead and they said no.

But today, I sent them an email asking to speak to someone in Sena management, not just customer service. Within three hours, I got a notification that my replacement 10R was on its way. You draw your own conclusions.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
My 20S has totally sucked, works fine for just music/phone or conversing with one rider........group intercom is garbage and so is connecting them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My girlfriend and I bought a Cardo Packtalk system about the same time - the mesh communicators work perfectly every time we turn them on, and it works for phone and music and radio just fine too. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My girlfriend and I bought a Cardo Packtalk system about the same time - the mesh communicators work perfectly every time we turn them on, and it works for phone and music and radio just fine too. Highly recommended.
I'll remember that. When i get the 10R replacement back, I'll probably sell it online and then be looking for a better brand.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'll remember that. When i get the 10R replacement back, I'll probably sell it online and then be looking for a better brand.
Just don't be alarmed when the use manual is as obtuse as the ones that Sena (apparently) send. Youtube is your friend in this case.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
That's disappointing. I have a Sena SMH10, still going strong after several years, but it's stories like this that make me hesitant to purchase an updated model from them. Nothing will dissuade me from doing business with a company faster than crappy customer service. It's why I always buy from a company like Rocky Mountain ATV, and why I'll never buy another Taurus handgun. I'll keep the Cardo brand in mind for when the Sena stops operating.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have an SMH10 from 2014. I've been using it daily. I really like it, but I've noticed the following standout points:

Bad
- The boom mic foam rotted away over time
- Establishing, maintaining, switching connections is a true pain in the ass
- It doesn't play nicely with my Android phone (though I think this is the phone's fault)
- Transmission voice quality isn't great, especially with calls. It's much better to set it so that you hear yourself talking, since that will clue you in as to how intelligible you are.
- Range is marginal
- 3-way pairing limitation (SMH10) is dumb
- No mic mute is dumb

Good
- Speaker volume and music playback quality are great
- Battery life is great
- Has held up to four years of use

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
I have two SMH10's that have been very solid for a over three years (those came out around 2010 but it took a lot of firmware updates to get them really bulletproof). Not as sure about the new and improved ones. More range and more parties seems to come at a cost. I suspect that the recent products will have to go through the same customer beta period of several years to get them golden.

Living in the rocks and hills we find even the best of them are line of sight rather than the advertised ranges.

The weakness on the SMH10 is the pairing beyond two. It works up to four (the 20S is eight but the same crummy process) but requires button presses to initiate conversations. We normally ride two or three in a group max just for safety sake so it isn't an issue. Large group conversations aren't really a good idea while riding anyways. Worse than being on a cell phone a lot IMO.

I multi pair the phone (Samsung S8 and folks cannot tell I am on a motorcycle - excellent clarity), a GPS (Zumo), and a co-rider using another SMH10 concurrently without issues.

I eliminated some early issues with firmware updates. Version 5.0 was a biggie. I think they stopped at 5.1.2. There were 15 different firmware updates.

The 30K will be out for a while before they probably stabilize the 20S. lol The 10's still rate better than the 20's.

The 30K is supposedly the fix for group talk (meshed concurrent communications). It appears the 20S was a failure then in terms of group speak and should be skipped and the 30K is a long ways from being stable. No wonder the SMH10's are still offered at $156. They are still currently the best bet as far as Sena goes.

Since I ride solo or two typically and stay close the SMH10's are fine for now.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Overall my SHM10 worked much better than my current 20, but battery time for the 20 is much longer.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
I am going that route next, need to convince all my riding buddies who all also run the Sena system "they aren't happy either".

·
Registered
402 Posts
Spotty reviews for SENA across the board. Yet, I'm contemplating buying the newest release 30K Dual Pack for my wife and I (to go with the new Shoei GT Air solid white helmet I gave the wifey for xmas). The new mesh technology in the 30K is said to vastly improve connections for more than just two riders. I saw one recent youtube review indicating their latest firmware update really sorted out connection and background noise issues.

Damn expensive are they! :furious:

Brotha, can ya lend a dime? :crying2:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had a 10 then wrecked and busted up the unit. Had it for about 4 years. Started looking at upgrading but read a lot of bad/mixed reviews. Stuck with buying another 10 and couldn't be happier. Hope the 30s knock it out of the park though.

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Let us know how the updated 30K does. I seriously looked at the Cardo Packtalk a year or so ago which was their mesh network (DMC). Back then it allowed 15 to hook together in full duplex but limited the simultaneous communications to four at a time or it was too confusing. It was complex to use with a lot of features. The big issue, though, was that most folks are still using Sena near me and plan on sticking with them if they can get their act together on the Mesh/30K. Cardo just doesn't seem widespread locally with the dealers or riders.

Spotty reviews for SENA across the board. Yet, I'm contemplating buying the newest release 30K Dual Pack for my wife and I (to go with the new Shoei GT Air solid white helmet I gave the wifey for xmas). The new mesh technology in the 30K is said to vastly improve connections for more than just two riders. I saw one recent youtube review indicating their latest firmware update really sorted out connection and background noise issues.

Damn expensive are they! :furious:

Brotha, can ya lend a dime? :crying2:

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
The problem with Sena, is they keep rolling out new units and not fixing the bugs/issues of previous units and firmware.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am going that route next, need to convince all my riding buddies who all also run the Sena system "they aren't happy either".
I haven't played with it, but the Cardos for sure can connect with Sena communicators. You can see it in this youtube video:
. That was the final decider for me, given how popular Sena units are.

Everything I have heard from the AIM coverage is that the Sena 30 units that were just released, and which also now have a mesh system, is proprietary - no interplay with other systems. Frankly, that sucks and is shortsighted. It's like back in the days when US Robotics modems could only connect at super high speed to other USR modems.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had SMH-10's for a few years then upgraded to the 20s. Big improvement. I have no experience with group comms or Scala units. The 20s is going out now and the 20Evo is in. Got my last one at Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. I've had the 10R for 7 months now and couldn't be happier. It fits nicely into my Shoei RF-SR helmet and I've had no issues with connectivity or sound quality at highway speeds (plus a few mph's extra). But it has to be noted that I haven't had to deal with their customer service or ever really use the intercom feature. I mainly bought the unit to listen to music and take to occasional phone call. Hope you find what you're looking for in the next unit you buy.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
Group intercom is the big Sena issue regardless of model, the rest of features works fine for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had 2 SMH10 for 6 years. When I first got them I had to send one back. Sena exchanged it pretty quick. I've had to replace the battery in one. Sena was no help but the Sena forum was. My SMH10's have worked well and given good service. Phone, text and music have worked great with various iPhones. I've done a lot of bike to bike comms that were great. In hills they are line of sight so definitely limited. I've tried three and four rider pairings. It's difficult to get linked up and success has only been so-so. One rider becomes the hub, and can be problematic if the "hub" isn't in the middle of the group.
Over all, I'm happy with the SMH10. I think Sena is really poor at customer service. Odd, because they have a decent product and bad service kills sales.
Bluetooth devices can be difficult and that can put people off quickly.
I am still hopeful that the 30K will be an improvement, but I'm holding on to my cash for a few more months.
Some friends have the 20S. They like them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts