StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to buy DL 650 in Ontario but having trouble finding one. Thinking of buying one in the States and importing. Anyone with experience on this or any help or advice. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is that you oioioi?

If not you have some competition on GTAmotorcycle.com!

Why are you having trouble? Are you looking for used specifically? I presume so because CW east or West should be able to get you a DL no problem...

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm having trouble finding a DL650 because I don't want to pay the Canadian price.:) Yes, I am looking at buying used.

Thanks for the link to the importing sticky, msi1259. I think I'm finding the information I need.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I'm having trouble finding a DL650 because I don't want to pay the Canadian price.:) Yes, I am looking at buying used.

Thanks for the link to the importing sticky, msi1259. I think I'm finding the information I need.
Check your PMs;)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Hi I'm kayakmans better half.:) It was actually me that was looking at buying a 650 VStrom and I'm happy to report that I found one and bought it, right from the classifieds in this forum. I bought shlike650's bike in MI and I'm in the process of importing it to Canada. Still waiting out the three days before we can take it across the border on Fri.:D
Thanks for the information and links on doing this. It's not difficult at all once you know the rules and what paperwork is required.

Footloose

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congrats on the purchase - of course, the day you post this a DL650 just went up for sale in Ontario on GTAMotorcycle.com!

I'm sure the one you bought will be better!

Check out the KPH corrected guages to convert the speedo on your new ride.

J

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Congrats on the purchase - of course, the day you post this a DL650 just went up for sale in Ontario on GTAMotorcycle.com!

I'm sure the one you bought will be better!

Check out the KPH corrected guages to convert the speedo on your new ride.

J

Of course-they'll all come out of the woodwork now!
But I did OK :D Even with money exchange and import fee, I paid less and I got a really clean, low miles bike with nice extras. Plus I only had to drive 40 min. to look at it as opposed to 4-5 hours. We're near Sarnia.

The Speedo already has miles and km on it. I'm not sure what will be required for the odometer but from what I've read it sounds like they just require a sticker on it of some sort. Will find out when I get it to CT for the inspection.

But that Ont one looks nice. Someone will get a fine bike.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
For $40.0 U.S. you can pick up a corrected speedo face in KPH if you need one. That would look way nicer than tacky stickers! I can't see them giving you a hassle if it has KPH on it already though. Time will tell I guess. Congrates on the new bike, from a former Sarnian:D !!

If your interested in the KPH speedo face take a look here http://www.raceratb.com/austin/car/dl650.htm

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Be glad you are near Sarnia.

Now, THAT is not often heard from somebody in Florida.

Here is the reason. I have crossed the Blue Water Bridge many times, sometimes with very miscellaneous bikes on my trailer. Both ways, I have received a cordial reception from the Customs personnel.

"Are those both your bikes?"

"Yes sir."

"Welcome to Canada!"

Almost that simple.

Even my dog doesn't like the people who man the Ambassador Bridge. They confiscated some of his kibble. Yeah, there's mad cow disease in Canada, so American made dog kibble is not allowed back into the U.S.A., just in case we refilled the bag with contaminated Canadian kibble.

And then they gave us back the documents of some innocent folks from Ohio. No, that's not us. They don't look like us, do they?

Best wishes, y'all.
Keith

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
For $40.0 U.S. you can pick up a corrected speedo face in KPH if you need one. That would look way nicer than tacky stickers!
]
And who says I wouldn't peel off the tacky sticker the minute their back is turned? ;)

The speedo on my Harley broke many years back and I replaced it with an American one because I liked the design of it better...and I happened to be riding thru New Mexico at the time. I'm of an age that I still think in MPH anyway. And no ones ever noticed the difference.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Now, THAT is not often heard from somebody in Florida.

Here is the reason. I have crossed the Blue Water Bridge many times, sometimes with very miscellaneous bikes on my trailer. Both ways, I have received a cordial reception from the Customs personnel.

"Are those both your bikes?"

"Yes sir."

"Welcome to Canada!"

Almost that simple.

Even my dog doesn't like the people who man the Ambassador Bridge. They confiscated some of his kibble. Yeah, there's mad cow disease in Canada, so American made dog kibble is not allowed back into the U.S.A., just in case we refilled the bag with contaminated Canadian kibble.

And then they gave us back the documents of some innocent folks from Ohio. No, that's not us. They don't look like us, do they?

Best wishes, y'all.
Keith
Both sides of the Sarnia/Pt. Huron border crossing are pretty lowkey. We get the same cordial reception on the American side too-mostly. Only once did I get the third degree going into the States. It happened to be the same week as Sturgis and I was nipping over to the HD dealership for something. I wasn't carrying any saddlebags or even wearing a jacket but the customs officer didn't believe I was just going to the dealership.

Where are you going?

To the dealership.

Where is it? (Like he's testing me)

On Lapeer St.

Are you sure you're not going to Sturgis?

Yup

Whose bike is that?

It's mine.

Are you sure it's yours? (I kid you not! He really asked this! I felt like saying "No! I stole it!" The implication of course that a woman would never own a bike like that)

But I held my tongue because those guys have no sense of humour and just slapped the ownership on the counter. He begrudgingly let me carry on. :)

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
And who says I wouldn't peel off the tacky sticker the minute their back is turned? ;)

The speedo on my Harley broke many years back and I replaced it with an American one because I liked the design of it better...and I happened to be riding thru New Mexico at the time. I'm of an age that I still think in MPH anyway. And no ones ever noticed the difference.
If your lucky you'll have a mellow inspector at CT. The guy I bought my Wee off of had just imported a wide glide from the States. The inspector had said it should have a KPH sticker, BUT it was way too nice a bike to F*&ck up with stickers! Fingers crossed! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
:D Oh happy day! I brought the 650 home into Canada today. The process was pretty painless BUT.....Holy Mass of Humunity Batman! Don't ever import on Good Friday!:shock:

We used the Sarnia/Port Huron border crossing. On the way back to Canada, you stop just before the toll booths, park against the cement wall and walk over to the US Customs building to do the paperwork for export. When we came into the States around 9 am the crossing was quiet. When we returned a couple hours later, the building was jammed with representatives of every continent on the planet. The better part of an hour was spent in line, only a few minutes on actual paperwork and we were off for the Canadian customs.

Customs there was practically empty-except for some poor sucker who had underdeclared the value of the large sailboat he was bringing back. They were in the process of telling him he would have to pay a 40% of value penalty when we left.

Then we unloaded the bike in a snowstorm into the garage. Had a small panic attack when I turned the key and she wouldn't start. Let's see, clutch disengaged, engine kill switch OK, lights and console all light up but.....Nothing, Nadda, not a click or anything. After a warmup and some reflection and gnashing of teeth over a hot chocolate went out to try again. Discovered that the tie down hook had accidently pulled the clutch safety switch connection out. :mad:

Whew! Plugged it back in and she started right up. :D

And so the saga continues....next step is to Canadian Tire for the government inspection when the form comes in the mail.
Hey, maybe the snow will have melted and it will warm again by then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts