StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to run down the list of available systems and get some insight from any owners.

The following companies claim to have a V-Strom exhaust system:

• Two Bros - Confirmed
    Remus - Confirmed
    Staintune - Confirmed
    Leo Vinci - Listed, but I have never seen a picture. I emailed Leo and recieved no response.
    Renegade - Same as above
    Akrapovic - Emailed them and they replied confirming a system in early '04.
I have seen pictures and know the top 3 exist, but the Leo Vinci and Renegade seem to be an enigma. Can anybody confirm that they exist? Any pictures? I've scoured the net and have found nothing.

I really think a carbon fiber can would look great on my yellow Strom, but I also think that the pattern in Two Bros carbon fiber is ugly as sin.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but input on the system you have with pics would be great.

Later
Travis
[/list]

R

·
0 Posts
I have the Two Brothers pipes on my '02. Construction is top notch, and installation was very easy. At the time I bought them they were the only ones available for the 'Strom. I find them a little on the loud side. I have the aluminum cans. After having CF on other bikes, I would recommend against it. After time, UV damages the CF, and it looks like crap. The metal filament CF that Two Brothers uses may not have this problem. YMMV.

As I said the TBR pipes are a little loud, but they sound fantastic. I am contemplating switching to Staintunes to decrease the noise a little....

M

·
0 Posts
I have the Remus Grand Prix cans. They fit very well and installed easily. The construction is very good too. They have a reputation for being a bit loud, but I think they are a bit quiet. They don't have a super deep tone and lack that special "Ducatti-esqe" rumble, but they sound good none-the-less. Just a matter of personal taste I guess. I can't really give an opinion on performance increase as I have not finished doing everything I have planned.

·
Registered
213 Posts
exhuast revisited

Motor,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the pipes. I was told by a mechanic that the V-strom will never have the sound of a Duc. I was hoping for that when I put the Remus pipes on but on thinking about it it makes sense that they won't sound the same as they are quite different motors. I really like the looks of the Staintunes, I wish I could find someone here in Portland that had a set installed so I could hear them.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Duc sound

Only a Duc sounds like a Duc.

My SV was piped (Micron full). While it sounded awesome, it still didn't sound like a Ducati.

Oh, and nothing sounds better than a Ducati race bike under full throttle. You never get sick of that sound.

M

·
0 Posts
Re: exhuast revisited

rider1951 said:
Motor,
Glad to hear you are enjoying the pipes. I was told by a mechanic that the V-strom will never have the sound of a Duc. I was hoping for that when I put the Remus pipes on but on thinking about it it makes sense that they won't sound the same as they are quite different motors. I really like the looks of the Staintunes, I wish I could find someone here in Portland that had a set installed so I could hear them.

rider1951,

I sure am enjoying the pipes! Thanks! I took it to the dealer that replaced the clutch basket the other day. I had a mysterious coolant leak and they put it on the dyno to run it up and get it up to temp. It sounded very good! Kinda suprised me as I had never heard it from any other vantage than the seat. Louder than I had thought it to be, but far from obnoxious. You are absolutely correct, the 'Strom won't sound like a Duc, but I'm not too worried about it. I will say that one bike that sounds more like a Duc than any other would have to be a SuperHawk with a full race system of some sort. Sweet music! I love the sound a good v-twin makes! :D

R

·
0 Posts

Not a great pic, but it gives you an idea what they'll look like. They're the standard, large oval, aluminum can. I don't remember what they call it...

They are loud, and it does sound like a Ducati when you open it up... :D

A little loud for inconspicuous travel when touring, though. I think at some point I'll switch to Staintunes, but I'd like a set of Jesse bags first....

P

·
0 Posts
I've had a set of the Remus cans for about 6 months...the decibel gods relayed that the 2-broth cans are rated at 101 and the Remus cans are rated at 96 decibels. The Remus cans narrow towards the middle and the 2-brothers are wide and straight - that probably accounts for the 2-broth being a little louder. I wouldn't get rid of the 2-brothers if you think they are too loud - there are plenty of after-market baffles that will lower the sound without having a significant impact in performance....

G

·
0 Posts
Stromfer, those are the E-approved cans. The ones available in the US are the "Racing" version with the straight through baffles.

Has anybody actually bought these cans? If so please post some pics!

F

·
0 Posts
Rodan where can you get a set of pipes and what are good prices. Do you have to buy them separate or do they come in a set?
sorry for the Newbie quests

Laxson OUT

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Free, the best price I've found is $485. shipped at www.pipecity.com. Most come in a set, except for Remus where you can buy "by the can" in case you wreck one.

F

·
0 Posts
Has anyone tried to mess around with the stock pipes? Like take the baffle out of the end of the pipes or anything else. If you have what were the end results with sound quality sorta speak :wink:

Laxson OUT

K

·
0 Posts
mounted a set of the remus slip-ons yesterday,sound is very nice.i opted for the street version rather than the sport which some may refer to as race cans.the street version is not much louder than stock but you do notice a little more rumble and they flow a lot better.throttle response is improved and i'll know more after the 600 mile service this weekend(it will be a week old saturday)i got the titanium version and i'll take some pics soon.they also have carbon and aluminum.i got them from www.tec-motousa.com nice guy who mostly deals with ducati stuff. :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
End-cans

I've been trying to find slip-ons that do not have riveted end-cans. It's a royal PITA to have to pull the rivets and then pop new ones in. My Micron pipe on my SV had allen bolts on the end of the can.

I would've already bought Two Bros. if they didn't require the frickin' rivets.

So, does anyone know of cans that aren't riveted? (Oh, and I guess Staintune doesn't count since no repacking is required.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts