StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know this question has been asked many times. Havin a hard time doin a search. Would lıke a deaper thoatıer sound. Found many topics about two brothers. Are these the ones im lookin for? Know that "the best" ıs a matter of oppinıon. Just think my dl1000 sounds kinda mild. Also any advice on the best place to get them. im limited to online shopping only since im overseas. Links would be greatly appreciated.

P

·
0 Posts
Best Muffler

Most of the bikers that buy the 2-bros like them for a while then get tired of the sound (too loud - over 100 db). Remus (made in Austria) has a good set of economical cans that are in the mid-90's db range. Most Stromers that have played with cans like Staintune (lower 90's db)- but they are also the most expensive ($800 US). They definitely have the best fit and quality - with a removable baffle they are the best of both worlds. You won't have to repack Staintunes - you will have to repack almost all the others. I've purchased both the Remus and Staintune for the Vstrom. I like them both but the Staintune is the sharpest. I purchased 2-bros for a BMW and took them off the same day I put them on. Since Staintunes are from Australia and Remus are from Austria - you would be better off searching for distributors in Europe. Hope that helps. Paul

P

·
0 Posts
I have Remus Gran Prix cans on my '03 DL1000. I love them. They have a nice mellow sound and it doesn't intrude on me at hiway speeds or when riding for hours. They will bark authoritatively if you blip the throttle. I bought them through the US distributor in California - Max Moto. I had the bike dyno'd before and after adding the cans, and they did produce more horsepower and torque (in the vicinity of 10%). They do not ever require repacking. I did not modify the FI, and I see no need to. I highly recommend these.

I actually liked the Remus cans on my V-Strom so much that I also put a Remus can on my Burgman 650. That one was more of a project, because it was a different model that came with a removeable baffle. It was too quiet with the baffle in - louder than a straight pipe Harley with the baffle out. I ended up modifying the baffle myself to produce a nice sound level. But once I got that straightened out, I like that can too. Max Moto was easy to reach by phone, and helpful, while I was working on that installation. I was the first person in the USA to install the Remus can for the Burgman 650. They gave me a nice discount for being a "tester". I did have to provide email feedback and some pics - no big deal for a discount that was about $100 as I recall.

In both deals, the Max Moto price included shipping too.

P

·
0 Posts
Terry - yes - I still have a set of the Titanium Remus cans - I'm going to hold on to them for now. I do have the original Vstrom cans that I'd love to get rid of...

P

·
0 Posts
You can't duplicate the Harley sound with a V-Strom, particularly at idle. The pistons on a Harley move up and down together, while the pistons on a Strom alternate in movement. (360 degree crank vs 180 degree crank.) This makes a big difference in the sound patterns produced. The pipes most Harley guys use are crap - very harsh sound IMHO. The Remus Gran Prix pipes are straight through pipes, but the inner wall is lined with a honeycomb sort of baffle. They produce a very mellow sound, as opposed to the harsh blat of the typical Harley pipe. To my ear, the sound of a Remus equipped DL1000 is about as nice as it gets.

K

·
0 Posts
the only sound coming from a harley that i enjoy is the crunching and scraping when they hit the ground.you have no idea the joy i experienced when my neighbor, who graciously shared his straight pipes with everyone at all hours of the night and day,hit the back of an explorer on it on the highway.bye-bye harley and no replacement.with very few exceptions i cannot stand the harley or the harley rider.the sound from the remus exhaust is a distinct rumble,but with the street version fairly quiet especially at low rpm.the race or open version is definitely louder,but still a very nice tone if you want a little more volume.do you have a shop nearby where you could hear a suzuki TL1000,honda superhawk 996,or similar?they are closer to what you will get with the DL1000.
www.maxmoto.com
www.tecmotousa.com
either of these folks should be able to help you.maxmoto is the us distributor for remus.

R

·
0 Posts
I have the two bros pipes and love them. I ride in heavy traffic often and like being loud. The sound hasn't bothered me on the open road but I usually don't have the engine over 5000rpm's. If your riding the white line and want people to know your there, 2bros is a good choice. My bike sounds similar to a friends Ducati.

L

·
0 Posts
Just a random suggestion from someone who has stuggled on and off for years with acute BAS (Bike Acquisition Syndrome). If you put zippy new cans on your bike, KEEP THE STOCK PIPES. Wrap them in something, put them in a box and store them someplace dry.

If you don't wad up your bike, chances are good that SOMEDAY you will want to sell it or trade it in, and with most buyers or dealers you won't get squat for your fancy aftermarket pipes. In fact, some people will view your bike as worth *less* because it's been modified from stock, and they take that as evidence that you've flogged it mercilessly (which may be true . . . but more likely you were just willing to invest some heavy $$$ in improving the factory configuration).

My experience has been that with most buyers and almost all dealers taking a trade-in, re-replacing your aftermarket pipes with the stock originals won't lose you a cent of value. And somewhere on eBay or at a stock meet, there's someone looking for those exact aftermarket pipes who will give you a reasonable chunk of what you paid originally, if they're in good and functional shape.

When I add accessories to a bike that replace stock parts, I always try to keep everyting I'd need to restore it to stock, or as close as possible, to the extent my storage space allows. For a few hours' "re-stocking" work at sale time, and the time to write up a few eBay descriptions of the aftermarket stuff, I think I consistently come out money ahead.

M

·
0 Posts
My buddy has an SV1000S (same engine) with Yoshimura RS-3 racing slip ons. They had what I think you mean by "deep" baritone sound. It's a thump rather than a bark...and it's loud enough without being obnoxious.

I hear the carbon fiber cans are even deeper, but they're expensive and apparantly they can crack at the mounts.

F

·
0 Posts
Re: Remus picture

cans look great, and sound just as good. Remus cans are handy with those removalble baffles :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts