StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, yes I used the search feature. I also found a few threads and read them, but I just would like to be sure and check with the experts before I go spinning wrenches.

This is what I found
"Originally Posted by perArdua View Post
I'm going on memory here, you'll need to check the archives to confirm.

2007 to 2011 inclusive have a built-in catalytic converter, and are different than the 2004 to 2006. The stub pipes out from the cylinders are the same. I don't know if the Leo Vance uses these, but would guess so.

Because the OEM muffler (earlier) or the muffler and catalytic (later) are one piece with the pipes (except for the separate stubs from the ports), you're looking at buying that whole assembly."
So tell me if I'm wrong.. I have a 2008 Strom with a stock exhaust. My dad has a 2004/2005, can't remember which one, with a scorpion slip on exhaust. Now, I know that I can't take his slip on and slide it on my pipe. BUT! from what I understand, I can take his exhaust off where the headers meet, or maybe at the motor, and do the same with mine and I can then have the more fun exhaust?

He doesn't mind his, but would like the stock exhaust better, and I'm the opposite..

thanks!! :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Should not be a problem for the swap. On my 2009 I put a pipe from an 06 on it to be able to utilize a slip on. Was a direct swap. The lower exhaust shield on mine didn't have one of the mounting tabs but was no big deal. If you swapped the shields to the pipes they came with you will be fine. The only other thing would be if either bike had an o2 sensor.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Should be fine. I just swapped in an '04 collector with a Dale Walker Holeshot slip-on onto my 2007. Very nearly a perfect fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
exhaust differences

I bought a scorpion exhaust on ebay (carbon fiber slip on for 04-06 but I have an 07. I ground the weld right after the collector where it meets the cat. I then purchased at the auto parts store an exhaust tubing segment that was expanded on one end so that one end is 1-3/4" ID while the other end is 1-3/4" OD. I welded that to the end of the collector and was able to slip on the scorpion extension tubing to that. I also made a lower heat shield from stainless that I had bent at the local sheet metal shop. You can see some pics if you click on my profile. It sounds and looks awesome. Not too loud, just deep and throaty. And it definitely has more power. They like to breathe. P.S. There is a guy trying to sell one on here for something like $450.00 He says he bought it and is disappointed that it wont fit his bike but he also has it listed on CL in my area and I emailed him about how to make it work but he wont reply back. I bought this same slip on on ebay for 299.99 with free shipping. I'm not sure but think perhaps this guy is just trying to profit off of a fellow trooper. Shop before you buy. Just saying.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So do I take off the full exhaust at the block? Or where the headers meet together?
You should leave the short sections bolted to the heads. You only need an earlier model collector (Y). You may want to loosen the front cylinder stub to help you put the other collecor on. I found it best to progressively tighten things back up once it's all together.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should leave the short sections bolted to the heads. You only need an earlier model collector (Y). You may want to loosen the front cylinder stub to help you put the other collecor on. I found it best to progressively tighten things back up once it's all together.
Well if I'm swapping with my dad's then I would just take both exhausts off at the stubs and just move an exhaust from one bike to the other right?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well if I'm swapping with my dad's then I would just take both exhausts off at the stubs and just move an exhaust from one bike to the other right?
With the exception of how the cans mount up (and heat shields), yes you got it.
Don't damage the carbon-like gasketing at the ends of the stubs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did the swap today, couldn't have been easier. I'm super excited that I have an aftermarket pipe now!! Sounds like it did on Dad's bike, just on mine now.

Thank you for your help Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely)..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts