StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in whether anybody on the site has gone with an exhaust upgrade and Power commander install on
either version of the 2017 Vstrom 650.

If you have performed these mods or had them done by a shop or mechanic please offer some feedback
or the pros and cons of doing so. Seat of the pants power gains VS Changes in fuel economy >> For example.

Thanks in advance :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Sorry I misread your post thinking you were just asking about a fuel programmer. Not many install one on the 650’s even with a full exhaust system, and any gains made wouldn’t be worth the coin spent IMHO, but yeah it will sound proper for sure and lose some dead weight.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well unless a Real user on here chimes in I might just be the first one to dive
into the unknown. I know it's not exactly the same but close.
anywho, Some years back I owned a 2000 model SV 650 and I swapped in
a Delkevic slip on muffler, K&N air filter and rejetted the carbs with 44 mains. The bike
was amazingly fast by comparison to the stock setup.

I'm seriously looking at the Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon fiber can . The fuel commander
would just help with any tuning issues.

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Well unless a Real user on here chimes in I might just be the first one to dive
into the unknown. I know it's not exactly the same but close.
anywho, Some years back I owned a 2000 model SV 650 and I swapped in
a Delkevic slip on muffler, K&N air filter and rejetted the carbs with 44 mains. The bike
was amazingly fast by comparison to the stock setup.

I'm seriously looking at the Delkevic full exhaust w/ 16" carbon fiber can . The fuel commander
would just help with any tuning issues.

Is that seat of the pants or actual dyno? There just isn't much more to squeeze out of the 650's, hell the same goes for the 1000......they are what they are for the most part. Be sure to report back if you take the plunge, but I highly recommend a dyno run for tuning, to make sure you haven't actually lost torque and hp. Riding a new Ducati Multistrada with 155HP sure is a rush I'll tell ya that much, but I've got no doubt the overall reliability in comparison to a Strom wouldn't be close.....always a compromise. :wink2:

·
Vendor
4,706 Posts
The Delkevic slip on muffler and head pipe is the only economical solution in a ready made muffler. However, Big B is correct about any power to be gained. 15 years of DL650 history says ok for sound, but a waste of money for power.

Of course it's your money, so skip the reading and repeat history if you want, but with that same amount of money you could put an over the dash GPS mount, mirror extenders, a fork brace, foot peg and control lowering kit (or foot peg and control lowering kit with gear shift relocation if you where big boots), a really neat tank bag, and a front fender raising kit and probably more.

See flashing thingy in the signature line.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Wouldn't this controller be similar to chipping a car? I know many cars leave a bit on the table assuming that the owner will cheap out and run regular. Seems to me there would be some low end throttle response improvements possible by advancing the timing a bit and running higher octane fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I've done some research on it, not much to gain. You can only squeeze so much out of a naturally aspirated engine via ECM tweaks. It's a high cost, low return scenario.

It would be great to hear from someone that has done it and the gains realized from a driving perspective.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If you go to the Delkevic site (Delkevic us) each exhaust offered for these bikes has an included
Dyno test video of the actual bike with the exhaust installed, it also shows a graph
of the dyno results vs OEM stock setup after the end of the run.

Natually the gains shown were rather slight until rpm hit around 5 K and up.
According to their site and data inlcuded with each pipe a commander is not
required but a Dyno test should be performed.

I have priced both these items together and come in at right around $700 Just an FYI

·
Registered
451 Posts
Given the level of tune on the motor, would rather spend the money on handling and stopping rather than going😉
Off topic, but I have seen this:"😉" on several posts, and, being only sightly younger than Cubby of the Mousekateers, I don't know what this is or means :confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow the last 5 posts added nothing to this topic. Other than post counts. I guess when I do install
this power /sound adder setup regardless of cost or forum complaints, Emojies or senseless banter
I will be sure to keep all the gains Strictly private.

"Why add any good to what people all think is bad without trying." Norman Rockwell :mod2_scooter:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had a lengthy response typed up but deleted it after reading your post.
Wow the last 5 posts added nothing to this topic. Other than post counts. I guess when I do install
this power /sound adder setup regardless of cost or forum complaints, Emojies or senseless banter

"Why add any good to what people all think is bad without trying." Norman Rockwell

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts

"Why add any good to what people all think is bad without trying." Norman Rockwell :mod2_scooter:
Well it's a forum, and when you ask a question......you get what you get. Many of us here also know a thing or two about these bikes, but guinea pigs are always welcome. :wink2:

·
Registered
480 Posts

Here's some more senseless banter, ^^thanks!^^

I'm sticking with the stock setup and always was. Nobody was dissing you for pissing away you money but when you ask a question you may get answers you don't want to hear. Deal with it! The free advice you get from this group of contributors by far out weighs a little fun banter. Hopefully you will get over it...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts