StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been addressed before but it is evident that there is quite a bit of heat generated on the header pipes on my new DL650A. Also they do not have the shine of my 06 and would not look out of place on my Mazda 3. Not sure if metal different or just not polished as well.
Took my bike to the dealer just to have it looked at and the mechanic agreed there is much heat there but did not indicate concern.
Any other 2012 owners seeing the blueing of the header pipes?

·
Registered
220 Posts
This may have been addressed before but it is evident that there is quite a bit of heat generated on the header pipes on my new DL650A. Also they do not have the shine of my 06 and would not look out of place on my Mazda 3. Not sure if metal different or just not polished as well.
Took my bike to the dealer just to have it looked at and the mechanic agreed there is much heat there but did not indicate concern.
Any other 2012 owners seeing the blueing of the header pipes?
Everyone has it. It is nothing to be concerned about. This was mentioned before in several posts. Greywolf gave a good explanation on why this occurs, and it is nothing to worry about. Do a search and I am sure that you can find it

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
The 2012 bike runs leaner, hence hotter (also more efficient), so the pipes go bluer.

Polish them a couple of times and you'll mostly loose the blue tint.

Pete

·
Registered
635 Posts
After mine gets done changing colors, I'm going to paint it black with some high heat header paint. I painted an ugly CAT on my BMW and it looks much better and hold up pretty well.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i actually like the look of blue tint. It's normal -on a in-line 4, you will even find different colour due to certain cylinder burns hotter than others

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I noticed it also. That's what you get for great fuel mileage. That header must get red hot! I looked at a spark plug and it looked brand new.

I assume it's for keeping the Catalytic converter clean and free flowing.

If you want to richen it up a bit you would have to get a power commander. Of course fuel mileage would drop and the catalytic converter may not work and get plugged with soot. If you got the Akra pipe it would work better, but then you have to deal with the O2 sensor. The euro version SV had a O2 sensor removal kit for the PC3 so yo can tune it with out the O2 sensor in closed loop mode. Not sure how you could do it on the DL.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah I love the way the pipe changes colour! I was annoyed when my old SV650S didn't do it lol.

I think it gives the bike a quality look :var_4:

·
Registered
240 Posts
coated pipe....

You can always send it out and have it ceramic coated. I did that with my KLR pipe. It is still silver after 30,000 miles. It also keeps the heat inside the pipe. Great product.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The header pipes were blue when I picked up my Gee and the bike only had 0.3kms on the clock.:yikes:

Methinks she had a heated visit with a dyno at the factory

1 - 11 of 11 Posts