StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with exhaust systems being between $600-$1000, I was wondering...
They all seem to be 3/4 systems -- nothing fancy in the piping. So any power increase and weight loss is in the muffler.
So this cheap old guy wonders -- Has anyone tried a glasspack or one of those tuner car mufflers? seems like you might get the same advantages as one of those fancy systems for a whole lot less money.
Opinions??? :confused:

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Going big on an exhaust system can hurt power.

"...the pressure wave travels at the speed of sound of around 1,700 ft/sec." The speed of sound varies as the temperature varies. A larger exhaust system allows the exhaust gas to expand, and as it expands, it cools. As it cools, the speed of sound is less. "The proper handling of the pressure waves in the exhaust can help us to this end, and even help us “supercharge” the engine.

"As the exhaust pressure wave arrives at the end of the exhaust pipe, part of the wave is reflected back towards the cylinder as a negative pressure (or vacuum) wave. This negative wave, if timed properly to arrive at the cylinder during the overlap period can help scavenge the residual exhaust gases in the cylinder and also can initiate the flow of intake charge into the cylinder. Since the pressure waves travel at near the speed of sound, the timing of the negative wave can be controlled by the primary pipe length
(and diameter) for a particular rpm."
Theory

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I have a first generation Wee.......added the Akropovic System and dropped 10-12 lbs. Sounds as quiet as the stock system, to my ears (I have the sound DB killer in). Lots of threads on exhaust systems here on the forum.......the "Google" Searchbox in the center of the main page is your friend. Vhawg, I see you are from "up north".........:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going big on an exhaust system can hurt power.

"...the pressure wave travels at the speed of sound of around 1,700 ft/sec." The speed of sound varies as the temperature varies. A larger exhaust system allows the exhaust gas to expand, and as it expands, it cools. As it cools, the speed of sound is less. "The proper handling of the pressure waves in the exhaust can help us to this end, and even help us “supercharge” the engine.

"As the exhaust pressure wave arrives at the end of the exhaust pipe, part of the wave is reflected back towards the cylinder as a negative pressure (or vacuum) wave. This negative wave, if timed properly to arrive at the cylinder during the overlap period can help scavenge the residual exhaust gases in the cylinder and also can initiate the flow of intake charge into the cylinder. Since the pressure waves travel at near the speed of sound, the timing of the negative wave can be controlled by the primary pipe length
(and diameter) for a particular rpm."
Theory
Thanks for this. I should have known better. The money spent is for the R&D, not the maaterials.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the "Google" Searchbox in the center of the main page is your friend. Vhawg, I see you are from "up north".........:biggrinjester:
Mark- I have been reading. I was thinking -- therein lies the problem.
I'm sure there's some Ducati sound in there that this exhaust is not letting out.
Just trying to find it on the cheap and not hurt but help performance.

SoCal originally -- now Flat Rock :beatnik:

·
Registered
22 Posts
For what its worth I noticed no difference in power or gas mileage- no loss or gain. If there was a loss or gain in power it is so minor it would only be detected with dyno testing.

Exhaust theory is great but this was not a complete redesign of the system with the intent of maximum performance. This was a exercise with a goal of more sound, less weight and to see if it could be done for less $$ than aftermarket.

Nate

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For what its worth I noticed no difference in power or gas mileage- no loss or gain. If there was a loss or gain in power it is so minor it would only be detected with dyno testing.

Exhaust theory is great but this was not a complete redesign of the system with the intent of maximum performance. This was a exercise with a goal of more sound, less weight and to see if it could be done for less $$ than aftermarket.

Nate
This too was my intention. Still mulling it over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reviving an old thread before starting a new one, did a form search and this is what came up.

For reference I just bought a '12 650abs and wanted to know what exhaust systems we have available for this model (generation). Been searching around but nothing has come up, in a way I'm wondering if a system for the previous generation would work.

Any and all suggestions welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I just got a blackwidow exhaust for my '18 1000xt. Can't believe how cheap it was, how quick it came and how easy to install. $350 CAD including shipping, taxes and duty!! (I'm sure they have one for your bike) I ordered it last Thu and I got it yesterday... From the UK! :unsure:
I got the 400mm which is quietest and compatible with side bags. I think it sounds great. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Nice! Black widow from the UK. Most expensive is:
274 Pound sterling equals
$344.12 United States Dollar

A lot of them are out of stock though. (n)

·
Registered
45 Posts
They're starting to come back in stock now. We've not long come out of a national lockdown in response to C-19, but I think production is now picking up again.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I think a glass pack would be heavy and probably not look very nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 ABS model and it came with the carbon fiber Akrapovic exhaust. It is listed as being incompatible with hard bags, but the bike I bought has been running the exhaust with a set of Givi 37s and there doesn't seem to be an issue. The exhaust is available from Revzilla, but it's around $850 USD. It is too loud for me without the DB killer installed, but tolerable with it. I prefer quiet bikes, though. Akra clams a couple of extra hp and torques and a 10 pound weight reduction, fwiw.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts