StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just a quick question.I have just fitted an aftermarket exhaust to my K5 and this does away with the heat shield that my right side gear bag used to rest on.It's a smallish Motordry set of bags but the bottom of the bag still sits on the top of the exhaust which gets fairly hot.I'd be interested to know if anyone has a simillar set up and if there are any problems I might encounter.It's not going to catch fire but I don't want the bag to melt onto my exhaust either.
Any input is always appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
If the bag is made of some sort of material and it actually touches the exhaust the bag WILL melt. Figure out a way of separating the two items.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The melted bag will ruin the finish of the new muffler. Can you make some type of affective bracket and reattach the original shield?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I think I'm going to have to make up some sort of bracket because I only use them on long trips away not when I'm on day trips or around town I don't want it to be permanent. Something along the lines of 2 bolts and a bracket that quick to remove is what I'm thinking.I reckon I should be able to make something. I was hoping that I could be a lazy buggar but I guess I should do the right thing.Knowing my luck I'd be 2 hours into a trip a be cleaning a sticky smouldering mess off the exhaust.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You should be able to make something simple Nick for the long trips even with zip ties just to keep the bag off the exhaust,stand back have a look and you will come up with something,it doesn't have to look flash just do the job,What did you put on it ?How does it sound?

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
.Knowing my luck I'd be 2 hours into a trip a be cleaning a sticky smouldering mess off the exhaust.
Or trying to work out which piece of molten plastic was a credit card and which piece was a tooth brush.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts