StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Would the following dent in my exhaust cause my bike to be loud and droney at 5000+ RPM?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If I'm correct, you have a Glee? Including this info in your profile can help when advising on any of your queries.
The dent is factory pressed. Both my gen 1 Wee have this dent on the pipe. Open to correction on this one, but if you still have your stock exhaust fitted, I think that the exhaust drone problem could be related to any fix that was done to solve your complaint post in Fixing a broken exhaust

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm correct, you have a Glee? Including this info in your profile can help when advising on any of your queries.
The dent is factory pressed. Both my gen 1 Wee have this dent on the pipe. Open to correction on this one, but if you still have your stock exhaust fitted, I think that the exhaust drone problem could be related to any fix that was done to solve your complaint post in Fixing a broken exhaust
Right, I tried those things and I was just asking specifically about this dent. It thought it might have been caused by a crash I had. Also, that post was about a buzzing which I have found and corrected. Now, my exhaust drones at 5000+ RPM. It doesn't appear to have leaks (at least not at idle).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, also, I never modified the exhaust due to that issue. It was never removed or anything. I found a rock in the muffler and some of the other buzzing was coming from the latch on the top case.

·
Registered
657 Posts
First week I owned my bike, I put a huge dent in my header doing some things with curbs that I used to do with my KLR. Pretty stupid.

Anyway, turned out I damaged the front exhaust manifold gasket. I actually had to replace it twice - the first time it was torqued unevenly and blew out in New Mexico on a long trip. The second time I replaced it, I used a torque wrench in inch-pounds to tighten it correctly (gradually and evenly back and forth), and it hasn't leaked again in 120k miles.

See if you can feel a leak in any junction of the exhaust.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First week I owned my bike, I put a huge dent in my header doing some things with curbs that I used to do with my KLR. Pretty stupid.

Anyway, turned out I damaged the front exhaust manifold gasket. I actually had to replace it twice - the first time it was torqued unevenly and blew out in New Mexico on a long trip. The second time I replaced it, I used a torque wrench in inch-pounds to tighten it correctly (gradually and evenly back and forth), and it hasn't leaked again in 120k miles.

See if you can feel a leak in any junction of the exhaust.
Thanks, I'll try again on the leak idea. I squirted water with a lot of dish soap around all the joints and then started the bike. I couldn't see any bubbles before the exhaust got too hot.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hello,
Would the following dent in my exhaust cause my bike to be loud and droney at 5000+ RPM?
You don't say if this is a new sound above 5000 rpm or how long you've had this bike. Any chance that the air cleaner has become dirty enough that you can hear the intake?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't say if this is a new sound above 5000 rpm or how long you've had this bike. Any chance that the air cleaner has become dirty enough that you can hear the intake?
Yes, it was definitely a new sound after 5000 rpm that started happening since I crashed.

Finally, after about 3 years, I've figured it out!!! The loud droning was actually my side pannier mounting rails making a racket. I removed them completely (and replaced a missing nut on the centre mounts) and the noise is completely gone. No rattles, no drones, bike sounds like it did when it was new.

I'm so much happier with my VStrom now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts