StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
I may have missed it but, could a slipper clutch have been installed on your Strom???

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Nope; no slipper clutch (and I've removed the clutch, so I'm positive about that). :)

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The only thing I would suggest is to run a compression check. If it is within spec and your clutch isn't slipping due to wear or partially engaged, then all is normal.
I do use my engine to assist in braking while pushing it hard in the twisties but not a big fan of heavy compression braking.

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
Sadly I forget her name but several years ago at the Ironhorse a very well know lady (who has since passed away) who rode BMW's gave a talk a out gears to be in when riding twisties. There was lots of good info but relevant to this discussion she suggested being in the gear that had you riding at the torque peak. One reason that stuck in my mind was for engine braking.

Some people here with first gen DL1000's mention low engine braking. My 2015 has pretty decent engine braking. Early DL1000's (V1's) had torque peaks much higher than the 2014-2019 models (V2's) think closer to 7000 RPM. I think the V2 torque peak is way lower, perhaps in the 4.000 to 5,000 range. (I doing recall exactly.

Could this be why some of the v1 riders feel like engine braking and why I do there that as much with V2 riders?

BTW my 2019 VW Golf 6-speed manual has almost no engine braking. it iis a 1.4 later turbo. Lifting off the throttle in 6th at highway speeds has almost the same engine braking as slipping it in neutral. (It does get really good mileage. Sometimes close to`what my DL1000 gets.)

..Tom

·
Registered
575 Posts
If I don't get the rev matching right when downshifting approaching a stop sign, for example, it's like putting the brakes on. It can happen occasionally when taking the Strom after riding the Trophy for a while (a bit rusty for a few kms). Granted that's at lower speeds and gears, but there's no mistaking the engine braking.

For what it's worth, slipper clutches don't necessarily kill engine braking. My V65 Sabres had slipper clutches. They had zero affect on engine braking since their only job was to prevent rear wheel locking and engine overrevving on aggressive downshifts.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My '06 Vee has considerable engine braking. Check your idle speed. That affects engine braking a bunch. Racers often use high idle speeds for that reason. They just want to brake with the rear brakes where they can control the action better than engine braking. The Vees have way more engine braking than the Wees.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts