StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random question: is "exhaust braking" on the Vee generally pretty weak? You know, the deceleration you get when you're riding along and simply close the throttle.

I found out immediately after buying my bike that, unless I'm up in the 7k-9k rev range, the bike barely slows down when I close the throttle. So I've had to ride fast, twisty sections a couple gears lower than I would like if I want to get any deceleration when I close the throttle.

I recently rode a '15 BMW F800GS for a few hours thru the twisties. It didn't matter what gear or RPM range I was in; if I closed the throttle, it was like throwing out an anchor / stepping on the brakes. Like, significant, almost surprising deceleration.

Anyway, just wondering if all Vee's are the same, or if mine is (was) this way due to an older engine? @Karlos has the same bike with the same mileage, and his is the same way...very little deceleration when closing the throttle. I'm curious what mine will feel like with a 25k-mile motor in it as opposed to a 63k-mile motor.

Anybody else?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
I always felt like the Vee had fairly strong engine braking.

Setting your idle rather high would have an effect on engine braking.......

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...wonder if my k&n air filter and two bro's exhaust might be the culprit? Maybe not; @Karlos has stock exhaust and (I think) an oem type air filter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ever tried riding a 2 stroke, there is virtually zero engine braking, just engine screaming. Great fun though!

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
Mines an 2018 and it has a lot . Especially compared to my 650.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry man, I’m with the pack on this. I always thought the decel was normal, like a big thumper. I think it’s a big part of the reason my bike eats rear tires. I use it to brake all the time.

I don’t think 30k miles will be noticeable. We could do a test blindfolded.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm...guess I heard you wrong @Karlos; I could have sworn that you said your bike didn't have much engine braking either!

Well, it seems to be just me then! Guess I'll keep the revs up and call it good. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,983 Posts
Compression braking.
My dl1000 has a ton of it compared to my other bike.
compression ? what are y doing, sticking a potato in yer tailpipe ?
common misconception, when you chop the throttle, you're creating vacuum, when it comes to the compression stroke, it's compressing an empty combustion chamber that was vacuumed out. Engine braking in a 4 stroke gas engine, is primarily vacuum trying to suck air thru closed throttle plate.

Not to be confused with the jake brake system on a diesel

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Perhaps someone who lives close to you, with a similar model bike, who is prepared to help in comparing the engine braking of each?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...i may know a guy! :) Gotta get my bike running first, of course.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
compression ? what are y doing, sticking a potato in yer tailpipe ?
common misconception, when you chop the throttle, you're creating vacuum, when it comes to the compression stroke, it's compressing an empty combustion chamber that was vacuumed out. Engine braking in a 4 stroke gas engine, is primarily vacuum trying to suck air thru closed throttle plate.

Not to be confused with the jake brake system on a diesel
So you are not familiar with the old woods trick of flicking the kill switch off and opening the throttle? Especially effective on two strokes. :)

Yes, the term isn't exactly correct, but you are going to have air in the chamber on intake stroke from air bypassing the throttle plates as they are not fully closed (idle setting).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don’t remember the conversation, but I might have been comparing the DL to my KTM. I almost go over the bars the first time I chop the throttle on that thing since I’m used to riding something that weighs 50% more. YOU weigh more too and maybe that contributes.

If anyone cares, @WildDoktor and I work together. The guy has not shut up about motorcycles since I met him. His poor wife. 😂

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
This all depends entirely on what you're used to.

I've never once felt that my Vee's engine braking is the least bit surprising compared to my other bikes, and compared to all the other bikes I've sampled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the funny aspect - lots of new motorcycle models a fitting "slipper" clutches, which REDUCE closed throttle engine braking. Why? Because noobs go into corners too fast and close the throttle all the way - and the engine braking, combined with leaning/rear brake action overcome the traction - and a low side get off results. Also helps with poor downshifting technique.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've ridden lots of different bikes: 2-smoke, transverse V's, inline 4's, v-twins; different levels of engine braking from all of them, of course, but all of them were "as expected". As I mentioned, when I bought the Vee I immediately realized that there was almost no engine braking under about 7k rpm, which really surprised me (not as expected), since v-twins are known for that. So I kind of subconsciously just started dropping a couple gears in the twisties, and riding up high in the RPM range, and then forgot about it. Again, as I mentioned, I then recently rode a "little" 800cc twin (F800GS) and figuratively almost went over the bars the first time I chopped the throttle. So, no worries; my Vee is different than most! :) Can't wait to see how it responds with the new motor!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The bike that I had before my '11 Wee was an '03 SV650. Besides having the Suzuki 650 motor in common the bikes had very different riding characteristics. But the most striking to me was the seemingly complete lacking of engine braking on the Wee compared to the SV. I got used to it pretty quickly and it stopped bothering me but at first it was very noticeable and bothersome. I love engine braking! It gives me more of a sense of control. As you might have noticed in my sig, I'm back on an SV. edit: but not because of engine braking :)

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
When I put the 680 kit in my 05 Wee(It also increased the compression ratio) the compression braking increased a bunch.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts