StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to do my 600 mile service. It says to tighten the exhaust bolts. Is that like just a general thing or do I need to get to the header bolts and torque them? Some bikes the pipe to engine donut seal gets loose with heating and starts popping. Has that happen to anyone?

Any other things to pay attention to on this bike? Loose head bearings or turbowanker needs nitro oil?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Yes, torque the header bolts, those are the ones that can come loose. Also check the engine bolts, and the sub frame bolts on the front of the steering head.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone look up the header bolt torque for me please. I’ll get a manual soon.

·
Registered
771 Posts
be careful with looking up torque specs on 'stroms. there are a number of bad specs in the factory manual. If I am going to torque something on my Wee I do a search here for say "rear sprocket bolt torque greywolf" that will get me the torque that greywolf recommended.
Greywolf was the strom guru here. you will hear more about him from time to time.

·
Administrator
5,936 Posts
Agreed. Torque wrenches have caused many an issue.
Use common sense when applying torque to a dry nut and loosen the bolt (not with your torque wrench) before re-torquing it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just glanced at the torque specs and the "engine sprocket nut" jumped out at me. Greywolf mentioned that there is different torque specs for this nut for the 650 and the 1000. however it is the same interchangeable nut. if I remember right for the 650 the manual call for 105 lbft and for the 1000 the torque is 83 lbft.

Don't trust nobody but greywolf.

·
Administrator
5,936 Posts
The rear axle nut is another overstated in the manual. 55/58 ft/lbs is adequate.
There have been many trapped into the service manuals recommendation, only to end up with a galled nut or axle. Rear axle thread galled

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
I would NOT use a torque wrench on the header bolts, or loosen them up first. Just get a socket on them and give them a little tightening tug. Not much. If they're loose, you'll know. If they're not, leave them be.
I'll venture a guess that 99%+ of Stroms have never had them checked, and never had a problem.

If you hang around bike forums long enough you'll realize that most threads about stripped threads start with the phrase, "In spite of using a torque wrench..."

Reactions: Brockie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts