StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to keep the header pipes and muffler looking nice and bright other than regular washing of the bike?

How do I get the S**t thrown off chain off the swing arm, sprocket and other parts of the bike. Something that won't take paint off the bike or what not!

I also read somewhere of a chain lube from Honda that's suppose be really good and doesn't have a lot of fling off! How often should one oil the chain? I have a center stand on my new bandit so it's no problem for me to do it. I don't want automatic oiler It's no bother to do on my own!

Thank You for your help

Les Laxson OUT

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cl
ean with WD 40
Ive had good luck with Belray spraylube.
lube at the finish of a ride wrile chain is still warm.
They all sling off some.
approx. 250 miles
Ive only had to adj. once in 10k
good luck & ride safe

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Kerosene

I have heard conflicting stores about WD-40 and an o-ring chain. Since I've yet to find a straight answer, Kerosene is what I use. Oh, and it is recommended by the manual. Clean with kerosene then lube. Let dry and it won't fling off. I use Chain Wax and it seems to be working well.

You can use a stainless steel cleaner for the exhaust if it is stainless.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Cleaning

I have used Kerosene on the aluminum parts of the bike to remove grease and grimme. I know the parts are probably coated with some sort of clear coat or just anodized. What do you guys think of using kerosene to clean the bike. I have not seen a change in the finish. Some times I get dirt adhereing to the front pipe, then I use a fine Scotchbrite to buff it off.
Clean and lube the chain when it's hot

Scooter

·
Registered
351 Posts
cleaning

Are you talking about the mufflers. The exhaust pipes use scotchbrite.
The mufflers are a grained finished aluminum you can clean these with a clean rag and Kerosene if grease does not come off after washing. If you use a dirty rag the grimme will be inbeded into the grain finish. Do not scotch brite the exhaust covers or they will become scratched from the scotch brite. The exhaust is going to turn a tan colour. Don't bother trying to keep it shiney.

Scooter

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kerosene is honestly the best solvent to clean the chain. I use the HondaLube chain oil product and it's excellent. Just remember to apply it to a warmed-up chain and give it at least a few hours to soak in.

I find that S100 does a great job removing grease from painted body parts, frame and the engine. For under the fenders and chain guard, I have had good luck with a 50/50 mixture of Simple Green and water. Just remember to avoid letting strong degreasers on the chain for obvious reasons. One or the other seems to take off everything I've come across so far.

For the exhaust, I use Wenol metal polish after removing stubborn dirt with a Scotchbrite pad. It's best to start with the pad safe for non-stick cookware, using the harsher dark green pad only for the truly stubborn stuff, to avoid unnecessary scratching. Wenol is often used to polish high-end copper and steel cookware. Best of all, it doesn't require an ton of elbow grease to get great results. It's got almost cult status among cruiser owners. It works so well that several riders have assumed my 'Strom was new because the recently polished front header pipe wasn't discolored.

·
Registered
351 Posts
t

Your thinking of steel wool Ted. Scotch Brite is a syntetic material. When you use it, rub in the direction of the factory scuffed polish on the exhaust covers, this is up and down . This way the scuffing will blend in. I spend a half an hour cleaning the chain with a tooth brush, rag and solvent. A good rubber glove saves getting your nails caked with grease.Take it out for a short ride cleaned, get the chain warm and then put some chain lube on it.

Scooter

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dennis Kirk sells a product called the "Moose Chain Scrubber" for $24.95 plus shipping. It looks like it might be worthwhile. Does anyone use one of these?

Here's the link:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=301624&store=Main&productId=p301624&catId=418&leafCatId=41805

Here's a link to an article that compares the Moose to the Z-Chain product.

http://www.trailrider.com/tech/1097chain.html

Just one thing, though. It appears that FANAF, the company that makes the Z-chain oiler, is either not currently in business or no longer makes the Z-chain oiler. The Moose unit is marketed by Moose Tools and is available from motorcyclesuperstore.com and quite a few others.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
freediverGA said:
I also read somewhere of a chain lube from Honda that's suppose be really good and doesn't have a lot of fling off!
Wow! I recently bought a can of the Honda chain lube. It is so much better than the Suzuki product I was using. Fly off is greatly reduced - almost non-existant. The chain looks cleaner too.

I threw my can of Suzuki lube away and purchased a backup can of the Honda chain lube.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys should try Bel-Ray super clean chain lube. I have used it for a while and there is NO fling off at all. I put my DL on the center stand and lube it all over. It turns the chain white and works really well!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hogdogfxr said:
You guys should try Bel-Ray super clean chain lube. I have used it for a while and there is NO fling off at all. I put my DL on the center stand and lube it all over. It turns the chain white and works really well!
Interesting. I haven't had a chain drive bike for a long time. One of the problems I have when lubing the chain is knowing where I started (and when I've finished the whole chain). The Honda lube is almost transparent. The Suzuki lube was blue, but it didn't show on the chain much better.

How do you guys deal with that?

With this Bel-Ray stuff, it would be pretty apparent when the chain was completed the first time you used it. But after that you'd be back to white on white....

·
Registered
75 Posts
For some strange reason, I can't get the Honda chain lube in Ottawa. Not sure if you can get in anywhere in Ontario - can you guys in Toronto / SW Ontario get it?

As a result, I've been using the Belray. I agree, no fling..seems to work well. Easy to tell where you started applying it on the chain if you clean it off well beforehand. Kerosene works well as a cleaner.

Richard

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GT500 said:
Easy to tell where you started applying it on the chain if you clean it off well beforehand. Kerosene works well as a cleaner.

Richard
I am sure you are right. I just don't like the idea of keeping a rag that has been used with a flammable cleaner in the garage. Anyone use something non-flammable to clean their chain?

·
Registered
24 Posts
How to find where you started with the chain lube?.I put a spot of typewriter correction fluid(TIPPEX oher here in UK) on the head of one of the link pins. Easy! Also you should not use petrol on an O-ring chain as it can damage the O-rings. Diesel fuel or Kerosene/Paraffin is fine but then I blow it dry with an air line to make sure it is all removed before I apply the lube.
Ride safe Doebag

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mark the chain

Hi Pauljo:

Just tie a string around one of the chain's outside plates. You'll then see each time it makes a revolution. Cut off the string when finished.

Bill

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Mark the chain

wpennington said:
Hi Pauljo:

Just tie a string around one of the chain's outside plates. You'll then see each time it makes a revolution. Cut off the string when finished.

Bill
Cool idea. I'll try that.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
only bad thing with wd-40 is that it has sulfur in it.if you get it on parts that get hot it leaves white deposits on them.the moose chain scrubber is for 520 chains,i use it on the dirt bike and haven't yet seen one for the larger chain.i was given a can of motul chain clean by a friend to try and it works very well,gets the chain fairly clean with no scrubbing.be careful with simple green around rubber parts,it is designed as a household cleaner and it dissolves the natural oil found in rubber.it will eventually cause things like the intake boots and chain o-rings to dry out and crack.to get the nasty chain lube off the swingarm and related parts i've been using uni filter cleaner.it is a spray cleaner that dissolves the grime in off-road air filters without destroying the foam in the filter.cold water and then spray it on and let it sit,a little wipe with a rag that you don't want anymore and all the chain lube,road grime,and animal parts are all gone.if you haven't tried it yet find some of the suzuki motorcycle spray wash,it gets everything but the worst grime off without scrubbing at all,especially useful with so many hard to reach spots on this bike.a light coat of motul silicone clean under the tail section and on the swingarm and related parts keeps that chain fling-off from sticking and then you don't have to clean it up at all.makes cleaning wheels a breeze when everything doesn't stick to them. :idea:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts