StromTrooper banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Years ago I had a couple buddies with "easy rider" style choppers that they had built from the ground up. They worked on them all the time, but they seldom ran. Another buddy had a 1977 Electra Glide, all stock, ran all the time. I had to nag him just to get him to check tire pressure, but we were riding every weekend. Once, a stream of oil shot out the right side of the crankcase. A brass plug had come out of an oil gallery access hole. He scrounged around in the gutter and found a twig, broke a piece off and jammed it in the hole. Never removed it. I nagged him about it and the answer: "The brass plug the factory put in failed, the stick I jammed in is holding up just fine".

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,422 Posts
"window screen" Hold it up to a window and see the light! Kay and Enn.
Kay and Enn! I get it! Short for K & N air filters.

Let me call Kithe right now and tell him to get that K & N filter out of his DL 1000 before it ruins the engine.
BTW, he has over 430,000 miles on it and probably 400,000 miles of that are on Kay and Enn filters. Just like oil, there are those that swear against and for a product. Used correctly they work just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Kay and Enn! I get it! Short for K & N air filters.

Let me call Kithe right now and tell him to get that K & N filter out of his DL 1000 before it ruins the engine.
BTW, he has over 430,000 miles on it and probably 400,000 miles of that are on Kay and Enn filters. Just like oil, there are those that swear against and for a product. Used correctly they work just fine.
Makes me want a K&N air filter 😁

·
Registered
94 Posts

Real Shelby,Whoa! Big Fella. Calling out Godzilla on me for a cheeky reference to a service product. Gotta hand it to Rehcie for dropping the puck to fire up the weekend. If K&N spins your propeller I've still got a Franz oil filter kit I'll give ya for your REAL Shelby. The ad copy sez YOU can use your pan of oil forever. My Dad swallowed that blue pill and gave me one for Chris-mas. Cheers

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh, Im pretty sure I fall into this catagory. GW said I was the first person to perform the fuel filter bypass on a gen2 dl650 years ago. I did it because I ride hours away from civilization alone. At 45k miles I proactively changed my fuel pump too. Maybe it's therapy, maybe it's the thought of walking all day to get help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
It's O.K.this post was supposed to be somewhat therapeutic! I hope that I didn't open a can of worms and stirred up some hard feeling's! 😉

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey, I'm good. I kinda chuckled cause the poster with the coagulated antifreeze didn't get an honorable mention. Fact is, a person CAN see light through holes in the fabric of a K&N filter. How that applies to people and bike maintenance is coincidental. Drawing from another posters' comment about buggered drain plugs speaks volumes.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I probably do excessive maintenance. But I like to wrench as much as ride so.....

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Does anyone else actually "save up" moto-maintenance projects and ration them out to help get through the winters?

I do oil changes on the dot, and tires and brake pads are replaced immediately when needed. And of course I always make repairs quickly. I can't stand having stuff around that doesn't work right.

But most upgrades and the stuff that's more flexible, like changing coolant, valve checks, fork oil, lubing chassis bearings, etc. gets shuffled to the times when the weather outside is frightful. That way, I can retain some semblance of sanity when I can't ride. And I find myself stretching things out; I could probably do everything that's needed for my fleet in one reasonably busy weekend, but I have to ration my moto-time to make it last until spring.

A buddy and I are also making plans to install a 685cc big-bore kit on his KLR650 sometime in January or February; he'll bring it to my house on a Friday evening, and we'll make a day of it on Saturday. He's had all the parts in hand for months, and it could easily be completed in one day, but we've postponed the project until it can be savored more fully.

I don't think we're that weird...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I am not guilty of excessive maintenance. but I do plead guilty of excessive farkling, and I'm still going strong.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts