StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 DL1000 that i just bought new (leftover) in October . I just put a Strom -or Mivv pipe on it Monday. I noticed after two 30+ mile rides that I get excessive water coming out coming out of the pipes lower rivit mounts ( where the tube meets the collector) . This is the first bike I have had a CAT on that I didnt delete. Is the condesation or water normal? Can i do anything about it? the stock pipe didnt do this. Trying to get more miles to see if it goes away, but the weather is still hit or miss in northeast Ohio.

·
Registered
14,485 Posts
Might be that by design or construction the new pipe doesn't get hot as quickly as the original? You'd still have the condensation since it hadn't cooked out in the same time frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your post is such a coincidence - a few weeks ago I replaced the stock exhaust on my 2014 1000 with a Danmoto JISU slip-on without the optional baffle. Every few days I oil the chain before I leave for work in the morning. I get the same dripping water coming from the lower pipe AFTER the bike is on the center stand; it does not drip on the side stand. I had not investigated where the drip was coming from but knew somehow it was related to the new exhaust can.

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
Do you guys leave the bike idling to "Warm Up" before riding off? I yo udo there is a lot of condensation that comes from doing that. (Better to start and ride easily for the first few minutes.)

I would bet that something in the aftermarket exhaust is not heating up as quickly and/or collecting the moisture that is there and causing this. I doubt it is any real issue to be concerned with.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I also have had this problem after removing stock exhaust collector and replacing it with Arrow. My friend, Suzuki dealer, had a look at it and said it's not sealed well. He removed the exhaust collector and used exhaust sealing paste where pipes connect. It had never had a water dripping again. But it just stop dripping on the joint. The condensation still accumulates but it's expelled through the exhaust now.
Leaking on rivets makes me think something is wrong with the collector. I've never heard of it. When I had my Arrow serviced, rivets were removed and later when mechanic closed it, he used special "closed" rivets made for exhaust collector.

·
Administrator
5,036 Posts
In cooler climates new pipes especially will appear to create more condensation, moreso if they are cruising around town.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
After a while enough soot will collect and bake to "self-seal" the leak. FWIW: 2 Bros slip-ons come with high temp black silicone. It is available by the major brands of sticky goo.

·
Premium Member
2,541 Posts
I've have a Danmoto on my 18 1000 since 5K and now have 32K. Never a drop of condensation that I know of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys leave the bike idling to "Warm Up" before riding off? I yo udo there is a lot of condensation that comes from doing that. (Better to start and ride easily for the first few minutes.)

I would bet that something in the aftermarket exhaust is not heating up as quickly and/or collecting the moisture that is there and causing this. I doubt it is any real issue to be concerned with.

..Tom
i do warm the bike up, and my road is a 35mph zone for 3 miles so I am taking it easy. the water is coming out under throttle, after a 30-mile ride, I can rev the motor and see water come out of the pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have had this problem after removing stock exhaust collector and replacing it with Arrow. My friend, Suzuki dealer, had a look at it and said it's not sealed well. He removed the exhaust collector and used exhaust sealing paste where pipes connect. It had never had a water dripping again. But it just stop dripping on the joint. The condensation still accumulates but it's expelled through the exhaust now.
Leaking on rivets makes me think something is wrong with the collector. I've never heard of it. When I had my Arrow serviced, rivets were removed and later when mechanic closed it, he used special "closed" rivets made for exhaust collector.
I would have to disassemble the pipe to add a sealer. it leaks after the slip joint and clamp. trying to post a pic but it's not working.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Its perfectly normal for there to be condensation in the exhaust. If I went out and started my bike let it idle for a few minutes there would be a small puddle. So until everything gets heated up this will occur.

This is also why doing many short trips in your car is hard on the exhaust. You just keep adding more acrid condensation to the exhaust and rarely get it hot enough to evaporate and dry it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its perfectly normal for there to be condensation in the exhaust. If I went out and started my bike let it idle for a few minutes there would be a small puddle. So until everything gets heated up this will occur.

This is also why doing many short trips in your car is hard on the exhaust. You just keep adding more acrid condensation to the exhaust and rarely get it hot enough to evaporate and dry it out.
cool, thanks for the reply. I guess I will just have to get used to the watermarks streaming up the pipe from the breeze. sticks out like a sore thumb on flat black.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: removed the DB killer and the problem went away. all good now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts