StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
What...you mean the way the guy totally face-planted (helmet), or tried to stop himself sliding with his bare hands (gloves), or perhaps the way his shoulders skidded across the pavement (leather vest instead of a full jacket)...?

Atleast the rider closest to the camera was wearing a full-face. 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and his jaw would either be pretty rashed up. The real kicker is when the second rider's bike's saddlebag nails the first rider in the back of the head (Between seconds 00:04 and 00:05, or 00:10 and 00:12 in slow-mo).

Edit: Hmm...locked front on the first rider, causing the second to panic and slam on his too?

·
Registered
942 Posts
That video exemplifies the reason why I look like a freakin' astronaut when I ride. ATGATT makes it uncomfortable when riding in warmer weather (which is why I'm kinda glad I live in Oregon, despite the rain) but I still wear all my gear, all the time no matter what.

Sweat is a lot easier to deal with than road rash and broken bones.

That video also shows why riding in close formation looks good in movies but may not be such a great idea on the road. You can't escape basic physics and the limits of human reaction times. Well, Tim Allen and John Travolta might be able to, but I can't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how both riders could go down at the same time on a straight road that appears to be debris free...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how both riders could go down at the same time on a straight road that appears to be debris free...
Can't say for sure, but I'd bet $100 that the second bike touched the first bike...probably front tire to rear tire. I've seen it happen before in "cruiser parades."

I wish I knew how to do video edits. You could make an awesome break-dancing video with that reversing part.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Can't say for sure, but I'd bet $100 that the second bike touched the first bike...probably front tire to rear tire. I've seen it happen before in "cruiser parades."

I wish I knew how to do video edits. You could make an awesome break-dancing video with that reversing part.
If you watch more closely you'll see that they have some distance between them...no touching occured. Looks more like a locked brake, causing him to low-side (he falls to the side, and off the bike), the bike bounces off the ground, front wheel corrects now that there is no braking applied to the front, and continues on without the rider.

Second rider sees first rider panic stop, reacts poorly, and does the same...had to lay 'er down.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I don't think there was bike to bike contact before the loss of control began. My guess is the two crash bikes went down due to panicking and locking their brakes. There is a puff of smoke from the tires before the first crashed bike went down.

S

·
0 Posts
+1

If the first pirate to go down locked his brakes, WTF was he breaking in response to? There's nothing in front of him, he's not going to fast for a non-existent turn, nothing on the road... Really random-looking crash.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's possible the front rider had a sudden mechanical failure. It doesn't appear he did anything or hit anything. Could his front or back brake have spontaneously locked up? Would a broken chain cause that kind of action in the bike? What if his engine seized and locked the rear tire? It didn't appear he had a blow-out on the front or rear tire.

There appears to be a puff of smoke as if the back tire was locked up.

If the second rider hadn't been so close he arguably would have been able to stop or swerve out of the way and avoided the accident altogether.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I figure the lead crasher was looking at the camera and panicked when he saw brake lights on the lead bikes. The lead bikes would be pulling over to allow the camera operator to get back in the group after the photo run.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
+1

If the first pirate to go down locked his brakes, WTF was he breaking in response to? There's nothing in front of him, he's not going to fast for a non-existent turn, nothing on the road... Really random-looking crash.
Could have been the camera. Showing off for it, etc.

It's possible the front rider had a sudden mechanical failure. It doesn't appear he did anything or hit anything. Could his front or back brake have spontaneously locked up? Would a broken chain cause that kind of action in the bike? What if his engine seized and locked the rear tire? It didn't appear he had a blow-out on the front or rear tire.
I had thought of that too. But I don't think those bikes have chains, so more likely a belt. I think if the tire was still locked it would not have traveled the way it did after the guy fell off.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Kudos to the last rider. I think you can see the front of his bike dive down almost immediately, and he maintains control in a straight line. With regard to ATGATT, why would a rider wear a helmet, an armored jacket, and just blue jeans and no gloves? Is that not like wearing a prophylactic that was cut in half length wise:green_lol:. If you think ATGATT is uncomfortable, wait till you try a wheel chair:jawdrop:.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
That is only one of the reasons I don't like group rides, especially with people I don't know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree. I enjoy riding solo or two-up vs. group riding. I can keep 100% focus on what I'm doing and relax enough to enjoy the ride, not on what someone else is doing that could possibly take me out. Not to mention riding my own pace and numerous other benefits. But, solo and group riding both have thier pros and cons.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I figure the lead crasher was looking at the camera and panicked when he saw brake lights on the lead bikes. The lead bikes would be pulling over to allow the camera operator to get back in the group after the photo run.
I agree with you Pat. The "yellow" lines in the center of the road indicate that they are coming to some kind of an intersection or entrance ramp. I think the lead bikes slowed down to stop and the "lead crasher" miss judged his closing distance and fired off his front brake. The rest is in the video.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
One word....GREEN

Oh no! Grab front break. Now things are going bad, what do I do? Hold on tight. wheels still locked and skidding. Hold on tighter cause brain not trained to do anything different. Fall down. The bike tries to right itself after the rider ejects and wheels again roll freely. Looks like pure lack of experience and rider error.

Reminds me of 'The front fell off'...What happened? It just fell off :green_lol:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Classic front brake grab by the first rider, (good reason to have ABS), which leads to a very painful and certainly avoidable crash.

BTW, the pain could've been avoided or minimized had the rider chosen to wear motorcycle specific protective apparel.

Does anyone know the origin of the half shell helmet? It was borrowed from the Equestrian "mounted" officers in the late 20's, early 30's when they stopped riding horses and got on motorcycles. They have no real use for motorcyclists but the cops got tired of going back to pick up their hats...

Never the less, the number one reason for crashes in America- lack of training.

·
Registered
251 Posts
look closely.......

The first guy sticks his foot down and when it hits the pavement it runs his foot backwards and jacks him off the bike? Probably trying to dig something out of a pocket or reposition the twins for some comfort? It happens in the slo-mo right as he loses control.

Flint

1 - 20 of 38 Posts