Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was given a 2005 Wee-Strom with 3300 miles on the clock. It had been living under a tarp outside (thankfully in SoCal) for over 3 yrs, had been gently lowsided at low speed once and needed lots of love. I do my own work and changed all fluids, spark plugs (ok, ok, I don't know why...), airfilter, new battery, tires and chain and it fired up at the first touch of the starter. The goal was to clean it up, make it run well and sell it. Then I rode it..... The bike that preceded this was a 2006 620 Ducati Multistrada. I like the way this bike handles better than the Duc, am more comfortable on it and will be damned if I'm going to sell it. First time to the Rock Store (a famous & fun SoCal motorcycle spot) guys were coming out of the woodwork telling me they had one or had had one or rode to Alaska on one and on and on. It's like a freaking cult! I've had that 'M' designation on my drivers license for over 50yrs and owned more bikes than I can remember. This bike that I thought was just another boring UJM has become a favorite. How did I not know about this bike and the avid followers who own them? Like I said is this a cult and I never knew the secret hand shake?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yes, these are great bikes. The looks may have kept them under the radar for many people, and others may think they're an economy (low quality) bike because of the price. I've ridden almost every bike in this category, many much more expensive, and always feel good, or relieved, to get back on my V Strom.

A European magazine did a comparison review of many bikes at different price points about 10-15 years ago, the V Strom 650 came out on top.

Every time I think of replacing it with another bike I come up with a list of things I'll be losing on the new bike. I've now given up on getting something different and will probably just get another Strom in a few years.

·
Premium Member
3,457 Posts
Welcome.....if you have not already done it, make sure you get a flashlight and check the inside of the almost empty fuel tank for rust/corrosion. Bikes that sit like that tend to develop those problems due to the phase separation of the old fuel. Fuel pump/filter problems may soon arise. If the tank is not clean remove it and clean it thoroughly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tip and yes, when fliudes were changed the tank was drained and inspected. Got to use my Harbor Freight inspection scope!

·
Registered
14,020 Posts
Hola from San Gabriel Valley. Nice find. I wasn't exactly given the 2 Wees I have but I didn't pay through the nose either.
As you have decided, the Wee is a keeper and easy to be happy with.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I need to cultivate friends like yours that give away lightly used, perfectly functional motorcycles. Seems I've done something wrong--all my friends ride their bikes until the wheels fall off.

I've spent my entire life buying, riding, and selling dozens of motorcycles...looking for that ONE "unicorn" MC that will do everything well and bring a smile to my face every time I throw a leg over the seat. Had Yamahas, Kawasakis, Hondas, KTMs, Suzukis, H-Ds, liter bikes, DS bikes, dirt bikes--no BMWs tho. I enjoyed riding all of them, but eventually, the magic wore off...except for the WeeStrom. I bought a low mileage '09 way back when and have put almost 50K miles on it. I know that's not a lot of miles over 10 years, but that doesn't include the other 2-3-4 bikes in the stable during those years. Initially, I figured it would a very short-term acquisition, as I thought it was ugly as a mud fence. Used it for backroad hooning, week long trips to the mtns of NC/GA, rode it to FL for the winter, took it to CO/UT for 2 1/2 week sojourn. I came to appreciate the "function over form" character of the Wee and somehow ended up buying another one--an '18 XT. Can't bring myself to sell the old one, so now I'm stuck with two ugly ducklings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts