StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had one of these Formotion thermometers on a previous bike, very solid heavy construction, oil-filled and completely water and vibration-proof. Comes with a quality 3M adhesive pad on the back. I mounted it on the brake fluid reservoir, it's not interfering with removing the top at all and is well within line of sight while riding.

My experience with these is they are accurate while moving, and not accurate while sitting still in the direct sun. Not having an integrated and very accurate temp display is one thing I miss about my BMW. This is an acceptable compromise. This is a back-to-basics bike for me so I wasn't looking for a hardwired or battery-powered digital doo-dad. I want analogue gauges.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Very nice but kind of expensive. Unfortunately not available in Celsius scale according to their website.....Fahrenheit means nothing to me :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Unfortunately not available in Celsius scale according to their website.....Fahrenheit means nothing to me :confused:
They are available in Australia in Celsius (-20 to +50C)they probably just don't advertise Celsius in the USA.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice but kind of expensive. Unfortunately not available in Celsius scale according to their website.....Fahrenheit means nothing to me :confused:
It's available in Celsius or Fahrenheit if you search a bit online. It's kind of expensive at $40-50 but when you feel it in your hand...it's a solid, ruggedized scientific instrument. Definitely will last a long, long time unlike the disposable crappy stuff you usually find for this application.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Real men use Kelvin. And yes, my clock shows UTC.

-Absolut Dtalk
I prefer the Rømer scale. :yesnod: But then, I gravitate toward anything old-school.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's available in Celsius or Fahrenheit if you search a bit online. It's kind of expensive at $40-50 but when you feel it in your hand...it's a solid, ruggedized scientific instrument. Definitely will last a long, long time unlike the disposable crappy stuff you usually find for this application.
Thanks for the info, I guess I did not search thoroughly enough....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Boy, you guys that need thermometers.......If you have access to a rock, you can get live, up the second weather conditions....

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Boy, you guys that need thermometers.......If you have access to a rock, you can get live, up the second weather conditions....
I have one of those too, but it never does tell me the temp. A $4 thermometer lets me know exactly what I'm comfortable in at a given temperature. By looking at weather forcasts along the route, I have a good idea what to bring along for those daytrips and longer rides.

For instance, if it's gonna be 55 or above during the day, I can leave behind the heated vest and winter gloves, or above 50 at night and camping, leave behind the fleece underwear. Above 65 during the day, I can leave behind the medium gloves and layers, or above 60 at night leave the insulated sleeping pad.

Before the thermometer, it was all guesswork. It's cut down alot on bringing along those unused "just in case" garments and items.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have one of those too, but it never does tell me the temp. A $4 thermometer lets me know exactly what I'm comfortable in at a given temperature. By looking at weather forcasts along the route, I have a good idea what to bring along for those daytrips and longer rides.

For instance, if it's gonna be 55 or above during the day, I can leave behind the heated vest and winter gloves, or above 50 at night and camping, leave behind the fleece underwear. Above 65 during the day, I can leave behind the medium gloves and layers, or above 60 at night leave the insulated sleeping pad.

Before the thermometer, it was all guesswork. It's cut down alot on bringing along those unused "just in case" garments and items.
I was just screwing with you guys.....LOL...It appearantly worked. I will eventually put one one but I fully admit its a toy more than a justifiable need.

·
Registered
16 Posts
clocks-4bikes

I really like the thermometer from www.clocks4bikes.com because it has a large button for a back light. I'm usually concerned about the temp at night when black ice can form - I can hit this with a gloved finger and it glows nicely.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
When I bought it, my bike was wearing one of these Formotion thermometers mounted smack dab in the middle of the tach, which is nice and out of the way.

Problem is, it's completely useless if it's above freezing and/or in the light at all. And even in the dark, the instruments generate a bit of heat that make it read high.

I think I'll try the brake reservoir next -- good idea!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just finished a thermometer mount this weekend that I fashioned from 1" aluminum angle iron and some velcro. It worked very well for the shape of thermometer that I found at Wally World. It's not waterproof, but at $10, I'll buy another one if it dies.

I ran the temp sensor wire down inside the fairing just behind one of the two air inlets down there, so I get a good reading of ambient temp as long as I am moving (I think it warms up if I sit still with the engine running).

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just finished a thermometer mount this weekend that I fashioned from 1" aluminum angle iron and some velcro. It worked very well for the shape of thermometer that I found at Wally World. It's not waterproof, but at $10, I'll buy another one if it dies.

I ran the temp sensor wire down inside the fairing just behind one of the two air inlets down there, so I get a good reading of ambient temp as long as I am moving (I think it warms up if I sit still with the engine running).

I've got the same one. I just snipped the wire off and set it to read indoor. Works fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts