StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did, so after a recent fill of the gas tank, I rode my '09 ABS Wee to a local grain storage plant and used their scales. The scale read 560#. What was on it that is not stock and adds weight?

* Madstad Bracket and 20" Adventure Windshield.
* Aerostitch Tank Panniers with some bulky stuff inside -- (7#).
* Pat Walsh Design Crash Bars, Skid Plate, Engine Shield.
* OEM Center Stand and Vee-Strom Handguards.
* Tools, tire repair stuff and small compressor under the seat.
* Givi PL-529 Rear Racks in place, rear cases not mounted.
* Tool Tube (18" long) with battery cables, chain lube inside.
* Minor Misc. Stuff -- Rostra CC, Aux. Fuse Box, GPS & Mtg.

Now if I mount the rear cases and Givi top box at 10# each (empty) and I get on it in my riding gear (~190#), the total is 780#.

I went across the MT DOT truck scales near Butte this past July and was weighed at 880#. That means I'm carrying ~100# of clothes, camping gear, cooking/eating gear, etc when I'm out on the road. Seems like a lot but probably about right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Funny how the weight creeps up on ya with a bike. I've always been a motorcycling minimalist, preferring smaller displacement, lighter bikes. Compared with a 250cc bike, the Wee has the grunt to pull the extra pounds, but it would have been nice if they could have shaved 50 pounds off the thing, esp. when used off-road. I like the engine guards and center stand, so they are definitely staying on my bike despite the added weight.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Loaded with camping gear and both of us on the bike, it weighed in at 980lbs. The two of us weight just under 300lbs.
That's 55lbs over GVWR. Have you beefed up the suspension?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was a bicycle racer and cutting weight off your bike was a big deal. Are there ways and after market parts to trim pounds? And while I am asking was about an after market drive belt set up? A lot of people love belt drive. Smoother lighter less mantiance ect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's 55lbs over GVWR. Have you beefed up the suspension?
It was closer to 1000lbs, because we added a few more things the next morning. I cranked the rear preload all the way up. The front has intiminators and 7w oil. I didn't check the sag, but ground reach is very close to normal. It is ever so slightly lower though, and would benefit from a stiffer rear spring.

We did 1400 miles in 10 days as a test run. The bike handles fine, IMO. On the last day we did 400 miles of freeway to get home, running at a true 70-75mph. We only got off the bike twice. That took a lot of life off of the new Shinkos. It was the freeway run, before that they showed little wear. I will be going back to Anakees.

Randyo, you are correct. I really need to find out what the individual wheel weights are, just to make sure I am not overloading the rear tire. I am going to add some front panniers on the crash bars too, just to carry liners, layers, and rain suits. This will make the bike far easier to pack, but its not bad now.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I was a bicycle racer and cutting weight off your bike was a big deal. Are there ways and after market parts to trim pounds? And while I am asking was about an after market drive belt set up? A lot of people love belt drive. Smoother lighter less mantiance ect.
Changing the exhaust and taking off the passenger pegs is easiest.

Belts drives usually aren't used on bikes with any sort of off-pavement pretensions. The chains on both models are pretty long-lived: they're not like a liter sportbike with 160+ whp and Johnny-on-the-gas riders.

BTW the Advrider tag is at Vibram USA in Concord at the moment.

·
Registered
242 Posts
as a lifelong bicycle racer (every discipline, baby!), I understand the weight weenie thing, but as a current bicycle mechanic, I see a LOT of wasted money shaving weight when the rider himself needs less weight and/or a bigger motor.

that said, I got my crash bars and centerstand in the mail the other day and thought, "damn, I'm adding all this to the pig already?". then I just read an email from my brother telling me he dropped his Triumph Sprint ST in a u-turn. Hmmmm......guess I'll live with the weight.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Beefing suspension

I took mine on a long trip loaded similar in total weight to pic above. At that time I had heavier springs both front and rear including hyperpro progressive on rear. It handled well and much better than stock springs IMO. Not sure of capacity of hypepro on that bike (my prior) but it is much thicker spring and wound with a pretty high rate as it compressess.

I am not really sure if springs are the only beef needed to "beef" capacity but assume they are major one. I am also not sure what the basis for the GVW limit is.

My current 07 Wee has intiminators in front and I suspect that does little to really "beef" the suspension compared to stiffer spring but most weight on rear anyway. I have Sasquatch spring/rebuild on the back with a stiffer spring but I would think it is hard to gauge how much that brings up the capacity. Some complicated formulas? I would think sag is only one general indicator.

I did carry some backpacks on the front for a dual-up trip without my panniers and with tank bag and it was interesting how well the bike handled with the weight distribution. Front luggage ideas are not a bad idea and would be curious to see examples of "panniers" on the engine guards as they would be stronger that then backpacks that I had on.
Heck I used some cheap walmart backpaks that matches the bike color and felt pretty good abut them until half way through the trip I pulled real hard to cinch one strap and the plactic loop broke. that had me with one bag sort of blowing out a bit in the strong headwinds on the way home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Weight

I weighed my GL1800 and my Bushtec trailer, very loaded, while on a four thousand mile trip last Summer. 1300 lbs. less rider. HB

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That took a lot of life off of the new Shinkos. It was the freeway run, before that they showed little wear. I will be going back to Anakees.

I am going to add some front panniers on the crash bars too, just to carry liners, layers, and rain suits.
Nice pack job Philip, it looks good and solid. A couple of questions/comments:

Do you have a feel for mileage out of the Anakees loaded like that? I took a rear Battlewing down to the wear bars in 6300 miles when I was loaded to 880# and running high speed on a trip to MT in July. Always looking for a longer mileage tire.

Are those camping chairs on your left pannier? I have a Nomad tent and am looking for a sturdy chair for sitting on/dressing in the garage section.

I use Aerostitch Tank Panniers on my Wee -- the larger size. They straddle the tank and sit just on top of the Pat Walsh crash bars. They hold bulky stuff -- bike cover, shower shoes in the left side, off-bike shoes in the right side. They also offer weather protection for my legs from the knees to the boots (push the air out-board of my legs). They probably impact fuel consumption 5-10% (frontal area is a big deal). They're not completely waterproof so I use a plastic bag in the right one.

Thanks for your comments. Ride safe.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can't believe this thing is so heavy!!!
From the factory, the bike is about 500#. Many people ride the bike like that and it serves them very well.

Others, myself included, make some additions to set the bike up to fit our riding needs. That normally adds weight. You can see what I have added/changed and how much weight was added in the original post.

Then, we sometimes load it up (somewhat like a pack-mule) and head off for a vacation trip. My last trips were a camping venture to western MT (5300 miles, three weeks) followed by a shorter trip to northern MI (1000 miles, one week). Had great time. The bike performed very well. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't really know how far the Anakees will go loaded at high speeds, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they will outlast the Shinkos by far.

I got 12,000 miles out of my Anakee II rear, and it had a few thousand left in it easily. I only took it off because it had been plugged for quite some time and was leaking from the plug.

My goal is to stay off the interstate, its just not enjoyable to me.

That is Camp Time Roll-a-chair on the far pannier. Its long (26" or so) but lightweight, and its a comfortable, full sized chair with a back. I like it a lot, and it seems pretty durable as well.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
after you've pushed one a mile or two due to a stator failure, you realize how heavy they are

the stock suspension is silly weak, I was right on the edge riding solo, fill my sidecases with groceries and I'm sure I was over

it was well worth the money I spent upgrading the suspension, it's actually fun to ride 2 up now, and plenty of suspension for cargo,

even with the suspension, most 150/70-17 rear tires are only rated for 716 lbs.

by going to the darkside, I got a rear tire that's rated for 1433 lbs.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but DOT scales (like torque wrenches) are only accurate within the middle of their calibrated operating range.

I've seen variations of +-200 Kg on DOT operated scales withing 15 minutes of each other (Kamloops, BC). In fact, this caused me some grief one Sunday night. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts