Strom Trooper banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Oil in **in** the engine can and is recycled.

If I recall correctly, the vast majority of oil is used fo rothe purposes than being consumed as fuel. Plastics come to mind as a big part (however bad.) Few things in our modern society would exist without oil.

..Tom

You said what I meant/trying to say Tom.....thanks. Coal most certainly "anymore" doesn't deserve the bad rep it gets, where would we all be without coal usage? Coal plants or burning of coal isn't anything like it used to be, kind of like all the systems in trucks/cars now to make diesel clean burning as it is capable of. Technology will just get better on all accounts for power and fuel sources, we most certainly are not devolving in that regard. :smile2: Oh and a buddy of mine has an efficient/effective oil burner in his shop, so yeah there is also that use for spent oil as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I like my 2012 GLEE, but my next bike is going to be electric. What are you waiting for, Suzuki?
Even Harley will be marketing one soon, and there are about 10 other electric startups like Zero waiting to fill orders.

Electric bikes have several advantages. They don't explode in a ball of fire in an accident; they don't poison and pollute out the tailpipe, they have 100% torque available instantly; they are just as quick or even quicker than ICE bikes; they handle just as well, and are way more reliable with only 4-5 moving parts in the motor. The can use belt drives, which are way less maintenance intensive, as is the rest of the motorcycle: no oil changes, no filter changes, no coolant changes, no tune-ups and valve adjustments, no gas stations, and no transmissions and clutches. Twist and ride with just wind and tire noise to bother you and the neighbors.

Ending Big Oil will drastically reduce pollution and stop the horrendous Oil and Poppy Wars that have killed millions, cost trillions, given away our liberties and privacy, and killed and maimed our boys. The War OF Terror is our longest and costliest war ever, AND IT'S STILL GOING ON.:furious:
If all I ever did was commute or putt-putt in a 50 mile radius from home.....you'd have a point... But...in the real world, until battery technology improves DRASTICALLY in terms of battery charge life and charge times, EV motorcycles will remain an expensive novelty.... Yes.. Ive ridden one. Yes. It was pretty cool. No.. It is a long way from doing what "I" want out of a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
I prefer the engine characteristics of an internal combustion engine. Teslas are nice and all, but the torque is seamless and very similar to jet thrust. I like the rev band, I like the noise, I like the mechanical thrum of a traditional engine. I sometimes listen to this to relax. OK it's a rotary

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
Oh stop with the nonsense....all technology has a cost and if you think flooding as bit of taiga to provide low cost low carbon electricity for millions of people I have nice warm cave in Mexico you can retire to and grow your own food.
( 185,403,168 acres of forested area in Quebec and you are worried about 11,000 !!!??? pardon my laughter ).

Rare earth mining is not a "disaster" - AGW is an unfolding disaster.
Rare earths are being replaced in devices as rapidly as technology can solve it.

Japan has discovered likely enough for an infinite supply.

We have the technology for a carbon neutral sustainable planet.

This is all the people on the planet stacked in a small corner of the grand canyon.

What we don't have is the honest politicians to undertake the project ... ( tho China at least is getting there as is Europe )
EVs at least address a major issue that in the end will save a commuter transport money and solar/wind is now the least expensive form of electricity production tho storage needs to catch up.

EV motorcycles are niche and likely remain so tho lower cost swappable battery packs will help as well as lots of charging stations. We carry extra fuel on long trips ...battery energy density needs to get into the same range and lithium batteries are light.

Hybrid I'm not sure of the gain...I get 70 mpg on a bike that can cruise all day at 70-80 mp.

RIders in Manhattan can't even buy fuel....but there is lots of electricity >:)
I mentioned square KM not acres. Not worried about any of it actually. I am an oil sands fan though. A place where a person of either sex could earn 200K driving a dump truck up until recently and the land is put back to the way it was for the most part afterwards according to the Government of Canada (Which currently is no fan of Canadian oil)
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/energy/pdf/eneene/pubpub/pdf/os2015/14-0702-Oil-Sands-Land-Use-and-Reclamation_access_eng.pdf

·
Registered
201 Posts
Global crude oil production - 83 million barrels a day
Global coal production - 21 million metric tonnes a day
Global natural gas production - 10 billion cubic meters a day

Can someone calculate the total carbon released from these fossil fuels into our shared atmosphere each day?

Can someone forecast what will happen to our atmosphere if the current rate of methane released from northern permafrosts and ice covered water bodies continues or accelerates?

Fighting over whether the internal combustion engine or electric vehicles are better for our atmosphere and the health of our planet and ourselves is entertaining but...I do enjoy the fun of riding my bike don't get me wrong but given the ever increasing production of oil and gas and the impacts it has on disrupting climate we'll be lucky if our grandchildren will be able to peddle bikes.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Global crude oil production - 83 million barrels a day
Global coal production - 21 million metric tonnes a day
Global natural gas production - 10 billion cubic meters a day

Can someone calculate the total carbon released from these fossil fuels into our shared atmosphere each day?

Can someone forecast what will happen to our atmosphere if the current rate of methane released from northern permafrosts and ice covered water bodies continues or accelerates?

Fighting over whether the internal combustion engine or electric vehicles are better for our atmosphere and the health of our planet and ourselves is entertaining but...I do enjoy the fun of riding my bike don't get me wrong but given the ever increasing production of oil and gas and the impacts it has on disrupting climate we'll be lucky if our grandchildren will be able to peddle bikes.

And......of course the never ending debate/argument over whether humans are accelerating ANYTHING related to climate change. :grin2:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Back on topic, if Suzuki made an electric Burgman I might buy one. Perfect for shopping and hopping in the city. The Burgman is an excellent and practical urban machine and a great candidate for electric power.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
nd......of course the never ending debate/argument over whether humans are accelerating ANYTHING related to climate change.
the "debate" ....entirely in your imagination....the world has moved on ...try it.

••••

Burgman 650 would be a good EV tho and maybe even a hybrid. Good platform for it but the eCVT in the Burgman is useless so might as well start from scratch.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
...If I recall correctly, the vast majority of oil is used [for other] purposes than being consumed as fuel...Tom
I think this is what you intended to say (minor adjustments within brackets are mine).

Assuming so, I think this might be correct, or somewhat correct. I can't cite the source, but I think I heard or read, recently, that fuel (gasoline, diesel) is becoming something of a byproduct of oil use for other uses. That statement caught my attention at the time.

In the US, and if here, probably in lots of other parts of the world, vehicles are much more efficient than they were. We own one car that gets ~30 MPG on trips. Probably 2.5 times better than cars my family would have owned 50 years ago. Plus I ride a motorcycle whenever I can. Mostly for the enjoyment, but it results in major fuel savings (major within my family :smile2:). We do own a gas-hog truck that's nice, but rarely used. It's mostly used when we need a truck. Of course most other folks have much more fuel-efficient cars today compared to years past.

Gas is ~$2.00/gallon here...

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
I think this is what you intended to say (minor adjustments within brackets are mine).

Assuming so, I think this might be correct, or somewhat correct. I can't cite the source, but I think I heard or ready, recently, that fuel (gasoline, diesel) is becoming something of a byproduct of oil use for other uses. That statement caught my attention at the time.

In the US, and if here, probably in lots of other parts of the world, vehicles are much more efficient than they were. We own one car that gets ~30 MPG on trips. Probably 2.5 times better than cars my family would have owned 50 years ago. Plus I ride a motorcycle whenever I can. Mostly for the enjoyment, but it results in major fuel savings (major within my family :smile2:). We do own a gas-hog truck that's nice, but rarely used. It's mostly used when we need a truck. Of course most other folks have much more fuel-efficient cars today compared to years past.

Gas is ~$2.00/gallon here...
Yes: "For other purposes" is what I meant to enter.

I was wrong, or at least it looks that way.

It appears that I either mis-remembered the article or misread it. When I do a quick google search it shows that way over half of oil is used for transportation and only a small part is used for Plastic production.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
Yes: "For other purposes" is what I meant to enter.

I was wrong, or at least it looks that way.

It appears that I either mis-remembered the article or misread it. When I do a quick google search it shows that way over half of oil is used for transportation and only a small part is used for Plastic production.

..Tom
I continued searching and came across this:

In: How electric vehicles could take a bite out of the oil market

is the following:

...Besides, passenger vehicles consume only about 26 percent of the oil used worldwide.
So that might have been part of my misunderstanding.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
70% of all oil consumed in the U.S. is used for transportation. “The U.S. transportation sector consumes about 220 billion gallons of liquid hydrocarbon fuel per year. Energy use in the transportation sector is primarily for passenger travel and freight movements.
any more dodges >:)

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
the "debate" ....entirely in your imagination....the world has moved on ...try it.

••••

Burgman 650 would be a good EV tho and maybe even a hybrid. Good platform for it but the eCVT in the Burgman is useless so might as well start from scratch.

Ah you are so right.....all the REAL EXPERTS from the world over on the subject are in full agreement right? :wink2: I agree with some EV scooters like the Burgman being an excellent choice for urban travel and or running errands, that seems to make more sense at the moment over actual EV motorcycles.

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
any more dodges >:)
Hey I admit my errors. Unlike some people in the past when called out on things they just ignore and carry on.

..Tom

21 - 36 of 36 Posts