StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since ethanol is now in our gas, I've experienced fuel filter clogging in my mowers, chainsaw, ATV....etc. I've been using a treatment targeted at ethanol related issues for about 9 months in ALL my engines with seemingly great results. When I bought my used wee-strom, I immediately filled the tank with 92 premium gas from a station claiming to be ethanol free and then added the treatment to clean out the fuel system as the previous owner was oblivious to ethanol related issues. Now, the guhvment wants to up the ethanol to 15% over the objections of Benz and BMW. Ethanol is not good for ANY engine as it is hygroscopic, causes a hotter burning mixture, is corrosive to many o-rings and rubber seals, causes phase separation at colder temps. Anyone else using an anti-ethanol treatment?

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Now, the guhvment wants to up the ethanol to 15% over the objections of Benz and BMW.
Source? I haven't heard anything about an imminent, or even plausible, E-15 mandate.

I also haven't seen any evidence that E-10 causes widespread engine problems. There are good reasons to resist E-10, but runnability isn't one of them, in my experience.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
yeah i use ethanol treatment and 91 octane or better. works for me. helps me get better mpg.
But what is your total fuel cost (fuel + additive) per mile? Better mileage is available with some high cost ingredients, but lowest cost per mile and reliable operation is a good goal.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Ethanol is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air

During temperature cycling the empty portion of your gas tank breaths.

When moist air is drawn in as the tank cools the hygroscopic ethanol draws the moisture from the air. Then when the tank is heated the dry air is expelled and the process repeats.

Eventually there is sufficient water in the mix to "crack" the ethanol/water away from the gas molecules. It then settles to the bottom of your tank, rusts the tank and grows algae and fungus.

It completely has screwed the power boat industry. Parts in your yard tools will be attacked by the alcohol.

The greens are happy as it ruins gasoline motors and costs more while providing less power and mileage. The politicians are getting great campaign contributions from the ethanol lobby. That is why we need more and you should learn your place.

Your only hope is to completely fill tanks with stabilized fuel. Drain everything else and run it dry. Gasohol left in a weed wacker etc. will dissolve components. Use, then drain, hopefully on a tree huggers lawn

I also now giver a spritz of fogger oil

·
Registered
22,342 Posts
Your only hope is to completely fill tanks with stabilized fuel. Drain everything else and run it dry. Gasohol left in a weed wacker etc. will dissolve components. Use, then drain, hopefully on a tree huggers lawn

I also now giver a spritz of fogger oil
You wouldn't beieve what I go thru with my drill, almost every time I use it, its almost 25 years old, uses 25:1 mixture that noting else I own uses and 1 gallon of stabilized mixture used to last me a couple years, now, even stabilized I have to throw the gas away after 2 months

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
even stabilized I have to throw the gas away after 2 months
Yes, but it'll burn fine in your car or truck added to a full tank of gas. Pain in the butt, yes. Waste, no.

Ethanol has two good reasons to be added to gas, raises octane and oxygenates the gas for reduced carbon monoxide in the exhaust. Plus the money spent on ethanol mainly stays in the U.S. And many bad reasons. It is only used because of preferential regulatory and tax treatment, mainly from Archer Daniels Midland Corp., the biggest producer, and from the corn farming state politicians.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I guess I could get used to

ethanol in my Koolaide

Oxygenated translates to already burnt fuels and the poor Mexican can't afford their tortillas win win?

·
Registered
22,342 Posts
Yes, but it'll burn fine in your car or truck added to a full tank of gas. Pain in the butt, yes. Waste, no.

Ethanol has two good reasons to be added to gas, raises octane and
great if ya got a car or truck to put it in, I summerize my jeep, kinda hard to add fuel to a full tank

I don't dump it into the ground, it gets used as solvent and bonfire starter

don't even suggest I should use it in my Vee, 25:1 even diluted will turn ya into a smoker

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,342 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After spending considerable time today researching ethanol's benefits vs detriments, It sure seems clear to me that ethanol is a demon. The only two benefits that now come to mind is that it raises octane which decreases ping and knock(good thing), but yet, the energy level vs pure gasoline is also decreased so mileage goes down about 3% average. The second benefit is conditional which pertains to crop subsidies that benefits only the producers. The negatives of ethanol in our gasoline is a long list. (see previous posts on ethanol's effects on engines). From my personal experience, I have...and AM suffering damages and deterious effects on my small engine equipment. Things such as constantly clogging fuel filters from the phase separation issues, deteriorating gaskets causing leaks, carbuetor internal corrosion, fouling spark plugs, poor engine performance, poor fuel mileage, and running too hot on air-cooled engines. Since I've started using anti-ethanol additives in my fuels, these problems have nearly disappeared. Note: when first starting to use an anti-ethanol additive, the additive will flush out the ethanol deposits that tend to adhere to the inside of the gas tank and fuel system so the problems seem to escalate quickly until all that junk is cleaned out. My most common problem is fuel filter clogging with a light tan foamy junk which is the phase separation caused by ethanol's hygroscopic tendencies.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The original question has still not been answered...

WHAT treatments are you using?

Brand names, places to purchase, cost...this info would be GREATLY appreciated.

I've heard Marine Sta-bil (not the regular kind) is good...what else is out there, and what is the most effective? What is the most economical to use AND effective?

Inquiring minds and sickly engines want to know. Thanks!

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
donstrom6. I've been using Star Tron for about a year now. Available at Wal-Mart usually in the marine section. Recently, I bought a similar product from Lucas and as you mentioned, the Sta-Bil Marine. As far as I can tell, the Star Tron works and is not too expensive as you only add 1oz. to 16 gallons of fuel after the initial treatment of 2ozs. per 16 gals of fuel. I found a great deal on e-bay for 6 bottles of 32oz. size for FAR less than equivalent from Wal-Mart. I added 3 ozs. to me Dad's Malibu that was surging under load and it cleared that up...which surprised me. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Please everybody--get familiar with the ethanol issue, and then speak up about it to a legislator. If we speak up we will eventually have an impact. Ethanol production and use doesn't benefit us at all, and costs us all plenty--we need to make our feelings known about this.

·
Registered
722 Posts
WHAT treatments are you using?
+1

I've heard of using Sea Foam as a treatment. I use Sea Foam on my direct injected car trying to keep my intake clean. Can I use this as a winterizer for the bike too?

I've had bad luck draining tanks for extended periods of time; the seals dry out and end up failing. I'd rather leave stabilized fuel in my machines if I can.

Although I can't help but bite at this bit of OT:

This is the source for the current rules & regs for E15 in the USA

E15 (a blend of gasoline and ethanol) | Fuels & Fuel Additives | US EPA
That is frightening. Clearly E15 is not suitable for motorcycles, yet the EPA mandated label does not seem to indicate this:

This label seems vague to me regarding motorcycles. I could see a significant part of the population using it thinking their 01+ motorcycle is a 'passenger vehicle' and not an 'other vehicle'.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Stabil Red, green is better
B12 it $3 at Walmart
Seafoam as a repair.

Big tanks are filled with oil.fogged and double stabil for off season. If possible the engine is run to near dry then fogged to stal

Little yard stuff run to heat, drain, the start to out of gas.

I also make an effort to not have canned gas lieing around to long. It goes in the truck after a couple of months.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Okay, so fogging oil is totally new to me. Will buy some of that and give it a shot. We think this stuff is safe to run through the FI system on a 'strom? I'm guessing yes.

Should fix my concerns about dried out seals.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts