StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay for those that care, I now have enough data to analyze and the averages to be statistically valid.

this is coming from 2 years of data collection (34,000mi), takes into account ambient temp avg, humidity,avg elevation, and driving behavior: (you should see the spreadsheet)

10% ethanol 87 octane, 47.71mpg
100% gas 87 octane, 49.83mpg
10% ethanol 89 octane 47.69mpg
100% gas 89 octane, 49.81mpg
10% ethanol 91 octane, 46.93mpg
100% gas 91 octane, 48.37mpg

Big freking deal, I just did this because I had a class project in statistics a few years ago and since I had to set it up I just kept adding data. now I know for me run 100% gas 87 octane.

·
Registered
175 Posts
100% gas is not an option in Oregon anymore. The retards in charge have deemed that us peons can only purchase the 10% ethanol crap now...:(

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Now I'm pissed (again). I try and try to get better gas mileage and the gubment legislates a 4% reduction (mandatory in FL by the end of 2010, I think) plus increased prices in food! Exemptions for boats, motorcycles, classic cars, and such, but where to find it? Damn, damn, damn. The liberty tree is well past due for refreshment.

·
Registered
386 Posts
100% gas is not an option in Oregon anymore. The retards in charge have deemed that us peons can only purchase the 10% ethanol crap now...:(
Same here in Canada... 10% in regular and I believe 5% in Premium. Been like that for ages.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Same here in Georgia. I don't really get it, though. The 10% burns a little cleaner, but you burn more of it because of lower MPG. Kinda self-defeating, isn't it?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ches Man, not ALL of Canada has ethanol. In BC only Husky/Mohawk currently sell 10% blended Ethanol. Unfortunately, Gordo, our premier, in an attempt to boost his popularity with the patchouli crowd has mandated that by 2011 fuel be blended. What a crock. Do politician's ever actually think?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Heat content

uzidzit, your figures reflect exactly the difference in heat content between gasoline and E10; 3%, about 2 mpg for a Wee. Darn good data acquisition.

E10 is all I can get. Mine runs great on it. I have bumped over 60 mpg a bit a few times.

·
Registered
424 Posts
okay for those that care, I now have enough data to analyze and the averages to be statistically valid.

this is coming from 2 years of data collection (34,000mi), takes into account ambient temp avg, humidity,avg elevation, and driving behavior: (you should see the spreadsheet)

Big freking deal, I just did this because I had a class project in statistics a few years ago and since I had to set it up I just kept adding data. now I know for me run 100% gas 87 octane.
It is a shame you can't attach your spreadsheet since I would love to give it a gander.

Here in Texas, at least the central part of the state, we don't have to worry about E10. I have heard that at least some of the gas companies are mixing about 2-3% ethanol in their fuels now. Anyway, I can't really say much for your ethanol data, but what you have found with reg/mid/prem grades doesn't surprise me at all. I never kept such detailed data as you, but I have long suspected the same. I never felt the need to run higher grade fuels in my truck and thankfully the Wee runs just great on reg. My FJR didn't seem to like regular, though it seemed to do a tad better mileage wise if I did run it on 87.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Same here in Georgia. I don't really get it, though. The 10% burns a little cleaner, but you burn more of it because of lower MPG. Kinda self-defeating, isn't it?
Double-crap. I'm only 13 miles from the border and my usual weeend route takes me though GA. Thought I might be able to gas up there.

I've known people who worked in two different presidential administrations/parties as science advisors. The most concise and disappointing summary I heard one utter was "The politicians always ask 'can' we do something, never 'should' we."

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

This is outstanding, thank you. Accurate data instead of rhetoric is very welcome on the innernet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts