StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only recently begun riding, and it turns out that my first bike is not really for me. I got my license in November of ‘02, and a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic a few months prior to that. I had been interested in riding for quite a while, and decided to take the MSF class just to get a taste for it. As you can all guess, I was hooked. My father got back into riding just as I started and he bought a 2002 BMW R1150 RT. Over the past year and a half I've ridden his bike many times and I have fallen in love with that style of bike. I prefer to sit on the bike with my legs under me. On my bike I sit much lower and my legs are out in front. His bike is too heavy for my tastes, and we have both dropped it twice. The V-Strom looks like the perfect bike for me. I want a commuter and a tourer, it needs to be agile for my trips through DC and comfortable enough for a drive to Jersey to meet up with my dad. I have not yet ridden the V-Strom, but I know of a local dealer who has a demo, and the weather is perfect today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I left Saturday morning on my V-Star, but by the time I got home I was riding an '04 V-Strom. I traded my bike in and rode off on a blue DL 1000. I put on 100 miles before I made it home and I am absolutely thrilled. The bike is excellent, the handling is terrific and overall the ride is confidence inspiring. I am so much more comfortable on this bike and I would have paid twice what it cost to get this jewel of a machine.

E

·
0 Posts
Good for you! That is such a great feeling, riding off on a new bike. I rode mine home on Friday, and was amazed as well by the comfort as compared to the crusier I have been riding. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eej63, thanks for the kind words and congrats on the great purchase. I used to feel obligated to ride my crusier on a nice day, now I am itching to go for a ride. I couldn't be more pleased with this decision. eej63, enjoy the riding!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Friday & Saturday I packed on 210 miles, taking me to a total of 370. The ride on Friday was way to cold, but the ride on Saturday was amazing. I took off from DC and headed out to rural VA. The V-Strom devoured the toughest roads and the ride was exhilarating. I ended up crossing the Potomac into Maryland where it seemed the wind picked up considerably. The bike performed great, but the wind was very gusty forcing me to head home sooner then I wanted, or needed to. Although it is only 36 degrees out right now, I rode to work this morning with the promise of near 60 degrees by the time I head out. I'm hoping to ride up to jersey in two weekends, but with the 600mi service looming it will be a challenge to get the miles in and the work done by that weekend, plus, I have not seen the forecast yet. In other news, I have the SW Motech centerstand on its way from twisted throttle. I’ve heard mixed reviews about the stability of the centerstand, but I will find out soon enough. Hard bags will be the next purchase, but I’m moving into a new place next month so funds are a bit tight. Till the next update…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another Update...

I'm stuck at 370mi! I've begun moving to my new place a few weeks ago, and each weekend I'm busy moving more stuff. I should finish this weekend, which will allow me to get back to riding. Although the bike has not moved, I did install the SW Motech centerstand. Installing the spring was easier then I had imagined, but tightening the allen head bolt on the right side of the bike was quite a challenge. I'll have the dealer check those bolts at my 600 mi service. The centerstand works great, it is easy to get the bike up and down, and it seems very stable. After my next ride I will clean & lube the chain. I'm looking to purchase a Givi V46 top case as soon as my finances are back in order. Down the road I may get a pair of the Hepco & Becker Gobi cases or something similar. That's it for now...

E

·
0 Posts
Sorry that you have not had the time to ride. I have managed to put 700 miles on my 650 in the four weeks since I drove it home. That is quite the feat living in northern Wisconsin! Drove it to work the first time on Monday, it was 30 degrees when i left, and 58 on the ride home. It was a comfortable ride, 30 miles each way. Most people can not believe that i have rode as much as i have, but having the right bike realy helps. The yuppies on their Harleys only ride when it is above 60 degees. Ordered Givi hard luggage and tubular racks last night, am really looking forward to getting them on the bike and doing a bit of traveling this summer. Hope you can get out and enjoy your bike more, the V-Strom is such a great ride!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soon enough I'll be back on the bike. Since I am moving this weekend, I am going to get to ride my bike to me new place. Although that will be just a 25-minute ride, I am still looking forward to it. I ride to work on occasion, but it gets pretty scary with the DC commute. People around here are very aggressive in the morning, and it is an extra risk just to be out there with them. I may take the bike in once a week, but I don't have close to the amount of fun I have at other times. I am looking to make my bike a year round rider, some heating clothing and electrical connections are on the slate for the fall. Enjoy the riding...

T

·
0 Posts
You're a braver man than I, emgold. :shock:
Don't hold back on getting an electric vest, at least. You won't believe the difference they make, even in the summer.... at night, for example. Getting cold will only make that commute scarier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tex, I've definitely gone for a ride after work when it's around 60, but by the time I get home it's closer to 30. My legs and fingers bare the brunt. I would rather go with heated gloves then heated grips. If I can keep my legs and hands warm, I'm set! The commute will get a little better when I'm not watching the tach.

T

·
0 Posts
Ya know, with just the vest, your hands and legs will be warmer.
Having said that, I have to admit I went out and bought the whole ticket -- vest, gloves, "arm chaps" and "leg chaps". :D Verrrry nice.

K

·
0 Posts
tex is right,the vest does make your whole body warmer,including your hands.when the main part of your body is kept warm then warm blood is better distributed to your extremities,i'll never be without the vest.you can wear lighter gear and thinner gloves and then stow the vest easily when it warms up.by far the best single piece of gear i've ever purchased.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Yays have it! Now that an electric vest is in order, what do you wear and why?

Let me know if this has already been covered elsewhere or if this thread needs to be moved.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a widder electric vest

I bought a Widder on a co-workers recommendation. I bought it due to it taking less wattage than a full coat. I find the Widder to be more than warn enough I actually find myself turning it down quite often. It may be easier on an alternator than a full coat. I also run a GPS at the same time.

Andrew

T

·
0 Posts
emgold, I think there are three choices for you -- Widder, Gerbings and Aerostich. I have three vests [two Widders and the Aerostich] and they all work fine. I've heard very good things about the Gerbings, too.
I bought the Widder "System" vest because of the availability of the "arm chaps" and easy connection to their gloves. I also have a fairly tightfitting one-piece Aerostich suit, and the Widder gear seemed a tad less bulky than the Gerbings.
The Aerostich is also very nice, and I think a bit better made than my Widders [one of which has already started to fray]. If I had three seconds to choose again, I would probably go with the Aerostich and use heated grips behind handguards on the V-Strom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts