StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ridden Hwy 224 from Estacada to Detroit Lake? Looks like a nice twisty road but I want to make sure its a good road. I'm looking for smooth and fast, not off road stuff. Anyone have experience?
Kevin

·
Registered
409 Posts
Kevin, It's a great ride, been on it many times. :thumbup: I know it changes from time to time as the roads conditions change. Haven't been on it this season so watch the shadows for any pot holes that may have developed over the winter season. I've experienced after high winds the amount of downed limbs, pine cones and other debris increase, so be forwarded. We've had a lot of wind lately.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The sign outside Estacada today still calls for a Snow closure of the road to Detroit, not sure how far up it is. about 3 weeks ago the Davids and I went for a ride and a group of guys we stopped and talked to at the Barton Store had layed down a EX500 on a patch of snow. We rode up Squaw Mountain Rd that day and it went from dry to 2 feet of snow in a 1/4 mile.

This is defiantly on my list for the Summer since its my back yard.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news! It looks like 70 miles of twisty fun but sounds like I will wait until it warms up more. Thanks for the tips. I have a PCV on its way so I know I will want to get out this weekend and give it a good test.:hurray: Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i rode it last summer on my way home from bend, my only regret is that is was towards the end of the ride for me and i was exhausted by then and didn't get to enjoy, but i definitely plan on riding it again someday..

last july it was super smooth and in great condition, and the weather was amazing, and very low traffic...you could probably call DOT for oregon and they would tell you if it's open or when they plan to have it open

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just read on another motorcycle forum that Estacada to Detroit lake is open.
I have heard that as well. Apparently there's one patch of slush remaining, but I get the impression there are open ruts or tracks through it. And based on the weather we're having this week, that slush's days are numbered.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Ripplebrook to Detroit now open

I met a rider on a Super Tenere at the Ripplebrook Ranger Station who came through on NF46 from Detroit. The road is now snow-free (subject to change if we get a cold snap, of course).

·
Registered
702 Posts
I rode through on the last part of April, sometime. It was open, there was a bit of snow on top, but it wasn't in the way.
Actually, I was surprised how clean it was.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The best

It's the best road in the area! 60 uninterrupted miles of fun. I'd wait a while and not be the first to go through there, but by the end of May do it. Don't make it part of a loop, just go down and back so you get to do it twice.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cruiser rider down on NF46

This past Saturday (7/26) I was on my way back from Detroit when I came up on a fire truck and the paramedics tending to a cruiser rider. He was on an L-shaped back board with his head taped to it and his right arm in a sling. This was about a mile north of the NF42 side road.

I didn't get a glimpse of his bike. His two buddy's bikes (also cruisers) were parked on the other side of the road. The injured rider glanced my way as I went past, so it was good to see that he was conscious.

I noticed he was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and his buddy's both had clamshell half-helmets. I didn't see any obvious road rash and saw no blood, so I assume that other than maybe a broken bone or two and/or dislocation, he'll recover.

This was just before noon, on a more or less straight stretch. I have no idea what made him crash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts