StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the bad day in Black Rock has happened.
I ran the WEE to the ground in Utah on Sunday. Bashed bike, broken luggage and contusions to the left shoulder and elbow. Purple butt and waist area on the left side.
Tried to pass a car that was signaling a right turn and he turned left as I attempted to pass him. I didn't hit him but ate dirt when bike wallowed along side the rode on the left.
So now is time for Ins wars and see what the outcome will be. Police said it was his fault with inoperable lights on the boat trailer. I didn't get to finish my rally trip. Just Dang the Bad Luck!
Oh, it's much Owie too!
Hair, teeth and eyeballs all over the place!

Y'all ride save now.:yikes:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Ouch. May you recover quickly and recover much from the incompetent cager to repair/replace the bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As I am, you seem to be a solo rider.

I'm having to rethink this whole approach to riding as I learn of more of these types of instances, and as I "mature." (I spent the morning applying for Medicare!)

I wish you a rapid and complete recovery.

George

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I used to work in the insurance industry and I don't envy you dealing with the insurance. I just went though all of this with mine after an accident in early June. Every time they would try to reduce or not pay for something I would tell them that I wasn't out to take advantage of them, I just wanted to be made whole. The "to be made whole" is a trigger phrase in the insurance industry. It is part of what the state insurance commission in I think every state has as the goal for insurance licensing. Don't get angry, just be firm. Do not accept less than what it takes to "make you whole." It took me a month and a half to settle with my insurance on my bike (they wanted to settle for a lesser amount 3 days after the accident). They finally gave me exactly what it would take to repair my motorcycle at the dealer where I live. They are still paying my medical expenses (in fact I just got another bill that I will have to take over to them tomorrow). You are not expected to take a financial loss on your bike. Make them make you whole. Don't be afraid to get a lawyer involved if you can't get them to pay you what your bike is worth to repair. You do not have to let them total the bike in most states even if they want to. Tell them you do not want the bike totaled if you don't want that.

Depending on your injury, you might need to get an attorney anyhow. You can bet that they will have one. You have to stand up and make them step up to the plate. You do not have to take a loss out of all this.

·
Registered
15,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Injuries seem to be superficial, if not a bit painful. Now I know what how the punching bag feels.
Seems I do not have collision on the bike but do have comprehensive. Utah is a no-fault state. Need to go see the insurance agent and the Dermatologist today.
The bike seems to sound OK. Depending on what I can get as a settlement, it may become a true RAT bike!
Loosing the luggage may not be so bad. I noticed a real improvement in MPG when I did a 200 mile loop while camped out at Paonia. Best up to that point was 50 mpg. On the scenic loop to Colorado Nat Mon and over Grand Mesa, hwy 65, I got 57.9 mpg with out side bags.
That's a good thing. I'd rather strap a dry bag on the seat behind me on top of the camping gear and improve my range than have handsome luggage.
Oh, my Guardian angle pin did work up to a point. I'm not DEAD! Dang the Bad Luck!

·
Registered
969 Posts
You actually believed a cager's signal and put yourself in harms way. Yes the cage is at fault but shame on you. Never ever trust a cage to do what they are indicating.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Seems I do not have collision on the bike but do have comprehensive.
Oops.

"Comprehensive is very similar to collision insurance, the main difference being that comprehensive covers damage caused to your vehicle caused by any unknown party or "act of God".

"Vandalism, flood, hurricane, theft, and fire are all events usually covered by comprehensive automobile insurance. (But make sure to read your comprehensive insurance policy for exact coverage details.)"

Collision Insurance and Comprehensive Insurance Explained

Dig out your policy and read the fine print about what coverages you bought, and if you have any medical coverage. You might be out of luck collecting from your insurance. Because the driver got the citation, you probably can collect from his insurance...if he has insurance. Otherwise you can sue him and hope to collect..if he has anything.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, get "whole" again, and rat out the bike if you have to. Let us know how it settles out if you feel so inclined.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sorry to hear about the insurance thing. Try to recover from his insurance or him directly if you can.

Glad to hear you aren't hurt badly.

A rat Vstrom. Sounds interesting...

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
You actually believed a cager's signal and put yourself in harms way. Yes the cage is at fault but shame on you. Never ever trust a cage to do what they are indicating.
Hell, you'd might as well park the bike permanently if that's your attitude.

It's reasonable to assume that a turn signal indicates what the driver intends to do.

Yes, there are f*ckwits out there who are trying to kill us, but not all of the cagers are complete morons.

We can be careful, but we have to stop short of being paralyzed by fear of what a cage will do.

Ride smart.

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Hell, you'd might as well park the bike permanently if that's your attitude.

It's reasonable to assume that a turn signal indicates what the driver intends to do.

Yes, there are f*ckwits out there who are trying to kill us, but not all of the cagers are complete morons.

We can be careful, but we have to stop short of being paralyzed by fear of what a cage will do.

Ride smart.
Janice is right on the money. We have to assume some predictability and intelligence exists in fellow drivers and not just assume they are idiots trying to kill us cuz we're on a bike. When I'm in a cage I'm still a motorcyclist. If we live in fear and doubt we might as well stay home and shut the blinds.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We have to assume some predictability and intelligence exists in fellow drivers and not just assume they are idiots trying to kill us cuz we're on a bike
I disagree. The only way to stay safe is to assume that every motorist is an idiot who is talking on their cell phone while trying to eat a hamburger and read the newspaper while driving. I guess you have to assume some degree of predictability or you'd just be frozen on the spot, but the less you assume, the safer you are.

It's not that they are actively trying to kill us, it's more like they don't know that we are there. There are probably a dozen reasons why they don't see us or why we just don't register on their brain, but it is a fact that the most common post accident excuse by a cage driver is "I just didn't see the bike".

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
I guess you have to assume some degree of predictability or you'd just be frozen on the spot, but the less you assume, the safer you are.
So we do agree.

And yes, you have to be careful and watch the fools all the time.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I guess it depends on how you define "some" degree of predictability.

I try never to assume that a turn signal means a driver is going to turn (either in the direction indicated or the opposite direction).

I try never to assume that a driver who is looking in my direction (and who may appear to be looking directly at me) has actually seen me.

I try to assume a driver who is slowing down (or even stopped) for no obvious reason is about to turn, whether or not they are indicating a turn.

I try to assume that the first car coming up behing me while I'm stopped at a light or stop sign may not have seen me, so I flash my brake lights and be ready to get out of their way.

Some things you have to take on faith, like an approaching driver won't suddenly swerve into my lane and hit me head on (unless it's a corner, where drivers drifting over the white line is certainly not unknown).

However I usually try to ride as if the rest of the world doesn't know I'm there and that drivers of other vehicles are highly likely to do dumb things (especially when turning or changing lanes).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad you are mostly OK. As was stated, his insurance is liable, if he has it...

You are lucky that he stopped and was cited for the infraction.

I read about a guy recently who was stopped at a red light, and the guy in front of him backed over his bike. I stop a little further back now, and have always stopped off to the side of the car in front of me.

And for the clowns who don't see the big red bike, I put retina scorching LEDs on the fork legs. Since then I have had no one pulling out in front of me. I don't assume this will always work, but I would rather practice avoidance skills in a parking lot. And pics do not do them justice. Everyone who sees them in person says "holy crap that is bright!"

Here is a night shot of just the LEDs, I dim them a lot if riding at night.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
You can never go wrong pretending you're invisible.

I have brake light flashers that seem to help, but they're not foolproof.
I have conspicuity lights facing forward to help front-on visibility, but they're not foolproof.
I have a Stebel air horn that I use liberally, but it's not foolproof.
I have great brakes and lots of acceleration, but they're not foolproof.

So yeah, drive carefully, but don't let it make you crazy.

I guess it depends on how you define "some" degree of predictability.

I try never to assume that a turn signal means a driver is going to turn (either in the direction indicated or the opposite direction).

I try never to assume that a driver who is looking in my direction (and who may appear to be looking directly at me) has actually seen me.

I try to assume a driver who is slowing down (or even stopped) for no obvious reason is about to turn, whether or not they are indicating a turn.

I try to assume that the first car coming up behing me while I'm stopped at a light or stop sign may not have seen me, so I flash my brake lights and be ready to get out of their way.

Some things you have to take on faith, like an approaching driver won't suddenly swerve into my lane and hit me head on (unless it's a corner, where drivers drifting over the white line is certainly not unknown).

However I usually try to ride as if the rest of the world doesn't know I'm there and that drivers of other vehicles are highly likely to do dumb things (especially when turning or changing lanes).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I disagree. The only way to stay safe is to assume that every motorist is an idiot who is talking on their cell phone while trying to eat a hamburger and read the newspaper while driving. I guess you have to assume some degree of predictability or you'd just be frozen on the spot, but the less you assume, the safer you are.

It's not that they are actively trying to kill us, it's more like they don't know that we are there. There are probably a dozen reasons why they don't see us or why we just don't register on their brain, but it is a fact that the most common post accident excuse by a cage driver is "I just didn't see the bike".
Exactly BobA.

Trust a cage even once and you get what notacop got.
There are days when I get home from work, pull the bike into the garage, take off the helmet and say out loud "Geez, I survived another commute. That was a ruff one."

In general, if you get off the bike relaxed rather than drained, (at least in my neighborhood), then perhaps your not seeing the entire traffic picture during your commute.

Thanks for posting your story notacop.
It helps me (and others) to stay sharp out there.
-Ej-

·
Registered
15,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I answered this on another post but what the heck. The INS is covering the bike for 3300 hunderd bucks and the personal stuff for a seperate 1200 based on values I gave them for the stuff.
They will stay incontact and cover out of pocket medical once the bills have all come in.
Better than a poke in the one good eye!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts