StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was hoping for a little troubleshooting help.

After coming back from a long tour that was pretty hard on the bike, I've been noticing some issues lately. Mainly, the fuel pump has been making a lot of noise, the bike developed a new whine over 6k rpm and fuel usage has gone up. Power doesn't seem to be what it used to and the bike sounds like it's struggling. It's also losing some oil, but not leaking. Last time I had the GF on the back, she commented that it doesn't sound as clean as it used to. I recently cleaned the air filter and thing got a bit better.

After relaying the symptoms to my dad, he suggested that it's likely to be busted piston rings. I figured it's that or the valves. Anyway, fast forward to today:

I tested the fuel output per the quick test instructions on the other vstrom board and it was releasing half as much fuel as it should. Figuring a temporary fix, I cleaned up the mesh filter and blew some compressed air into the high-pressure filter. Once reconnected, put back together and run for a while, the fuel output was just under what it should be (300ml, up from under 200).

Anyway, next up was a compression test. I picked up a tester from Autozone and checked the first cylinder, but cranking the starter killed my battery. An hour later, I got a boost from a friend and was trying it again. Took out both plugs, connected the gauge, and cranked it over 5 times. Pressure at that point was 120psi, but then it just stopped cranking, which brings me to now.

At this point, turning the key no longer primes the fuel pump (it's on the kickstand in neutral) and hitting the starter button just lets out a single click; nothing turning over. I checked all the fuses and they all look ok. Could someone send a tip my way as to what to check for next? It's a 2006 bike with 55,000 miles on it. I've had no issues with the started, and had cleaned out the switch a few months ago. Why would it just die like that? :confused::jawdrop:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Your battery is low. Getting a jump just allows cranking. Make sure you have a good battery with a full charge before doing any other tests. A load test is probably a good idea. If you need a new battery, charge it before using it to crank the engine. If you intend to do much cranking for testings, you might want to hook up a car battery, not on a running car, to resume testing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your battery is low. Getting a jump just allows cranking. Make sure you have a good battery with a full charge before doing any other tests. A load test is probably a good idea. If you need a new battery, charge it before using it to crank the engine. If you intend to do much cranking for testings, you might want to hook up a car battery, not on a running car, to resume testing.
I know the battery isn't doing its thing (for whatever reason; it's a Yuasa that I got brand new under a year ago) but I was trying to crank it connected to a battery on a friends bike. It turned over a few times and then stopped. At this point, even when connected to another battery, the fuel pump still isn't priming and hitting the starter does nothing except a single click, even though it seems to be getting power just fine. The other bike doesn't show any power issues and everything lights up when connected. I don't think the battery is the issue here.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hook it to a car battery and try again... How "heavy duty" are those jumper cables? Did you get a good connection?... A click when you push the starter button still sounds like a juice problem to me... meaning, not enough of it...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I agree; a click sounds to me the starter is not getting a good hit. Either dud battery or connections. Check all connections thoroughly. Once you get all in order remember not to labour the starter motor for too long or you may find you have a new problem. Lets all know the final outcome.

·
38,104 Posts
The battery could be shorted and draining the helper battery.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing about that click is that it makes it even if the clutch isn't depressed, and for that matter, even if the killswitch is set to off (and the connector at the clutch lever looks good). I'm quite certain that it's not the battery causing this. I just tried connecting my friend's battery and the headlight is bright, and the fuel pump primed OK. The starter button still didn't work.

Could something have happened to the starter itself?

P.S.: Thanks a lot for the replies... this is really eating away at me as it's my primary vehicle.

·
38,104 Posts
Do you have a clock image or a CHEC or FI? You may have fried the starter motor with all that cranking. It needs to be allowed to cool between tries.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Sounds obvious to me; your fuel pump is dead.
It also explains the drain on the battery.

Was hoping for a little troubleshooting help.

After coming back from a long tour that was pretty hard on the bike, I've been noticing some issues lately. Mainly, the fuel pump has been making a lot of noise, the bike developed a new whine over 6k rpm and fuel usage has gone up. Power doesn't seem to be what it used to and the bike sounds like it's struggling. It's also losing some oil, but not leaking. Last time I had the GF on the back, she commented that it doesn't sound as clean as it used to. I recently cleaned the air filter and thing got a bit better.

After relaying the symptoms to my dad, he suggested that it's likely to be busted piston rings. I figured it's that or the valves. Anyway, fast forward to today:

I tested the fuel output per the quick test instructions on the other vstrom board and it was releasing half as much fuel as it should. Figuring a temporary fix, I cleaned up the mesh filter and blew some compressed air into the high-pressure filter. Once reconnected, put back together and run for a while, the fuel output was just under what it should be (300ml, up from under 200).

Anyway, next up was a compression test. I picked up a tester from Autozone and checked the first cylinder, but cranking the starter killed my battery. An hour later, I got a boost from a friend and was trying it again. Took out both plugs, connected the gauge, and cranked it over 5 times. Pressure at that point was 120psi, but then it just stopped cranking, which brings me to now.

At this point, turning the key no longer primes the fuel pump (it's on the kickstand in neutral) and hitting the starter button just lets out a single click; nothing turning over. I checked all the fuses and they all look ok. Could someone send a tip my way as to what to check for next? It's a 2006 bike with 55,000 miles on it. I've had no issues with the started, and had cleaned out the switch a few months ago. Why would it just die like that? :confused::jawdrop:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Two things occur to me. One is that I had a new battery go bad. One cell became disconnected. The battery still showed as charged (the remaining cells WERE charged) but the battery was only putting out 10.x volts instead of 12, making it unable to turn the bike over. It was replaced under warranty.

The second is a question: did you at any time run the bike out of fuel on your trip? Running a fuel pump with no fuel in it can burn it out.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Replace the fuel filter and the battery. Then go ride.

My filter died/clogged at 50,000 miles also, same symptoms. A filter backflush bought my original filter another 8,000 miles. New OEM frilter went in at 58,000 miles. Service Honda had them the cheapest....+/- $240 or so, with o rings etc.

Dead pump because it was run out of gas...seriously doubt it. The pumps are more durable than that.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Dead pump because it was run out of gas...seriously doubt it. The pumps are more durable than that.
The pumps are cooled by fuel flow. Depends on how long they are run with no fuel flow. They've been known to burn out on some BMWs. YMMV

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The pump sits in a small sump in the bottom of the tank. It will be cooled to the last second when the machine stops. A burned out pump would be the last thing to look at....if at all...since he is getting flow its just low.

As for BMW burning up pumps....unless he has rebadged his strom with a BMW emblem, I am not sure the relevance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As for BMW burning up pumps....unless he has rebadged his strom with a BMW emblem, I am not sure the relevance.
That wasn't nice...He was just relating past experience. We need that on these forums to fix stuff ourselves at times.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
That wasn't nice...He was just relating past experience. We need that on these forums to fix stuff ourselves at times.
Sorry, your absolutely correct. I have whacked my knuckles with a ruler. I have heard the "burned up" fuel pump due to low gas fear repeated enough times that it makes me chuckle now.

BMWs are fine bikes....and lets face it, from a lot of wrenching....a bike is a bike....unless it is a Harley.

My bad GlenT.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
LOL, I'm with you, especially about my Hardly Driven buddies.

·
Registered
899 Posts
No offense taken! If the OP came back and said, "Yeah, I did run it out of fuel on the last trip" then it becomes one possible source of problems. If he says, "Never ran it out of fuel" then it that can be eliminated as a potential source.

I do a lot of IT consulting. When something goes bad, the first thing that I usually ask is "What changed just prior to the problem?"

Could also be a bad tank of fuel, or ...

P.S. My BMW has been the least reliable motorcycle that I have ever owned. For me, it has been a poster child for what can go wrong with a motorcycle. I've owned one for 4 years and it has spent more than half of that time in pieces in my garage.

And, its for sale! (great sales pitch, eh?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess I should clear things up. I've never, not once ran out of fuel in the 30,000 miles I've had the bike, although I have gotten it down to blinking quite a bit. Also, I would think that the text that SittingDuck highlighted above from my initial post would imply that the filter is dirty, not that the pump is dead.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the pump wasn't priming due to it already being primed. After letting it sit for a while, it does prime when the key is turned, even though the battery is low.

It seems to me that what happened was that the starter motor blew from me holding the button a bit too long. :headbang: The click implies that the relay is still functioning. I tried the bypass and got nothing. So for now, I'm waiting on a replacement starter motor... will update once that's installed.

BTW, should I be able to bump start it without a starter motor?

·
38,104 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts