StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of a non-bike specific question, but does anyone have a good resource for how to determine what is causing discomfort on the bike? For example, I get upper back pain after about 20 minutes on my 2018 VStrom 1000. What should I try to adjust or replace to help? Are my bars too high? Too low? Too much sweep? Not enough sweep? I'm looking for the kind of thing that tells "if this hurts, then adjust this".

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
1,189 Posts
Bar angle and position would be my first port of call. Helmet too heavy ? Maybe tension could be released by relaxing the grip on the bars ?

·
Registered
2014 DL650A, 2019 DL650XT
287 Posts
With your bike on the center stand, sit in the saddle and find a comfortable posture without holding on to the bars. While maintaining this posture reach your hands out towards the bar ends. This will give you an idea of where the bar ends should be positioned for optimal riding comfort.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd start by using this app. Motorcycle Ergonomics (cycle-ergo.com)

Then make mods and determine if effects on the bike ergonomics.
Interesting app. But I don't know how to interpret the image to tell me what I should change...what should I look for that indicates something that causes upper back pain?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Interesting app. But I don't know how to interpret the image to tell me what I should change...what should I look for that indicates something that causes upper back pain?
  • Select your particular bike
  • Input your Height and Inseam
  • The program will show you how you currently fit the bike
  • Click on the Vehicle Customization option
  • Since Handlebar rise change has been suggested, try increasing the rise and see how it affects your posture,
  • Handlebar Pull back changes will also show the effects on your posture.
This is just a tool to use BEFORE you make changes to your bike. GOOD LUCK :cool:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle

Reactions: Snowfan

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
... What should I try to adjust or replace to help? Are my bars too high? Too low? Too much sweep? Not enough sweep? I'm looking for the kind of thing that tells "if this hurts, then adjust this".
Before spending money try adjusting the bars.

Sitting on the bike close your eyes and reach out towards the bars and try to feel where you're most relaxed. Open your eyes and see where your hands are in relation to the bars.

Adjust your bars to closer match. Ride and see if that's an improvement. Also adjust your levers so that they are at approx. the same angle as your forearms(!).

Ride with a very loose grip also. Your hands should just be resting on grips not strangling them!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had some muscle pain on long trips until I started using a throttle rocker ("Crampbuster" brand, though they're mostly similar). Allows you to relax your right hand, and made a big difference for me.

·
Registered
2020 650 Adv
18 Posts
After enjoying super comfort on my Harley, which felt like super soft Italian leather soft boots I dropped it and could not pick it up. Bought 20 Wee ADV and felt 2 problems....reaching arms and hard seat. Raised and brought back bars and going on 2000 mile trip on stock seat. Bars closer helped a bunch.

Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Working animal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I'll let you know how my 2k trip next week feels.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'll try the eyes-closed technique when I get a chance! I think I have a fairly light helmet (Arai XD4) and I generally have a loose grip on the bars.

I have Roxx 1 1/2" Barback Risers and Adventuretech footpeg lowering kit installed. I'm not sure if they are helping or making things worse.

Here's a screenshot with my settings from the Mototcycle Ergonomics app:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Spec (above) probably got it right.

Upper back pain, usually bar angle and position. Other things to check for, jacket so tight it's pulling on your shoulders.Sounds stupid but I've seen that a couple of times.
Seat slope, that one is uncommon but it can get you, it's usually lower back but can get upper back as well depending on your posture.

Rox risers are a quicky fix (expensive but they can be rotated so it's easier to get perfect) but before you race out and buy some, sit on the bike, ideally with someone watching, get yourself comfortable, close your eyes then lower your hands down to where they feel right, odds are that'll be an inch or so from where they are now. The bars and controls will rotate to some extent and sometimes you can do that and make magic happen. Note that it's important that your wrists aren't at full lock on the bars as well, that tends to cause wrist pain but it'll travel up to the shoulders and into the back. Different bars to get the angle right are the fix for that. If you are lucky the change needed will match some of the fixed up and back risers.

Happy day for me when I put 1.5" Rox risers on my 1000, handling went to hell ;), but comfort went way up. I wasn't getting significant back pain, just wasn't comfortable. I did get used to the handling but it was like having a new bike for a few weeks.

·
Vendor
7,016 Posts
All the above is great discussion. I had similar pain from the lower spine not having support from behind. I installed a rider's back rest on a cruiser that eliminated it completely. When I moved on to sport touring motorcycles a driver's back rest was not a good option. The pain was really taking away a lot of the fun of riding. Fortunately someone told me about "Back-A-Line" belts. It looks like a kidney belt, but provides support to maintain the proper shape of the lower back.

Their tag line is it is a backrest you wear. For me and several of my riding buddies in the PNW, it absolutely is and works great.

I don't ride (on purpose) without it now. And if I forget it I'll realize that in the first half hour of riding.

I have no association with Back-a-line. They just make a great product.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Similar to Rick, on long rides over about 500-600 miles, I wear a back brace like you see the guys at Home Depot in. The kind with suspenders so you can undo it for restroom breaks without taking it off.

If your posture is like that in the last screenshot, possibly too upright. For me, on other bikes like H-D SuperGlide, I got the same pain as you. Two inch pullback risers fixed it.

·
Vendor
7,016 Posts

I don't use the manets,justthe reular belt. It ha a modled piece in teh back tht keeps the spine in teh correct posture/shape.

It's that molded pad that does the magic.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your posture is like that in the last screenshot, possibly too upright. For me, on other bikes like H-D SuperGlide, I got the same pain as you. Two inch pullback risers fixed it.
I took a "selfie" to compare my actual posture against the app screenshot. It's pretty close. So if I'm too upright, maybe I should reverse my Rox barback risers so they are move the bars further forward?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2015 CB300F
6,281 Posts
I use a Klim kidney belt...really helps even on two hour jaunts and very adjustable.
Rectangle Mesh Textile Grille Grey

You might try
Grips _ Grip Buddies ( not the same as Grip Puppies ). I find them easy to move from bike to bike tho fiddly to get lined up. Could not ride without them ( due to carpal tunnel ) Will reduce grip tension
ridermagazine.com

Original Grip Buddies Super Sharkskin Motorcycle Grips Review | Rider Magazine | Rider Magazine
I learned about Sharkskin neoprene comfort grips from Original Grip Buddies. These are rectangles of textured neoprene that wrap around the handgrip.
ridermagazine.com
ridermagazine.com
I think only available direct.
https://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com

and
Crampbusters.
Was using the ones with the velcro strap but kept busting them trying to tighten as they tend to slip.
The ones without the velcro are useless IMNSHO.
I have them on both sides to keep my wrists straight
Now switched to these - these are cheap and work
51ghpvKnyOL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I took a "selfie" to compare my actual posture against the app screenshot. It's pretty close. So if I'm too upright, maybe I should reverse my Rox barback risers so they are move the bars further forward?

View attachment 305506
Why did you install risers?

Looks to me that your hands are too high. Normally you don't want a vertical posture. Slight bend and hunch...

master yoda riding position

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why did you install risers?

Looks to me that your hands are too high. Normally you don't want a vertical posture. Slight bend and hunch...
I installed risers to try to help with the back pain. That may have been a bad decision - which is why I started this thread! I didn't know how to figure out a fix for the discomfort...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts