StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I am not getting any younger and I want to be able ride me Wee as far as possible with minimal pain, I did 3 mods to my bike this week. All of them at once, so I will never know how each mod works on it's own. I added 2" Rox Risers and a Dan Vesel backrest and forward foot pegs.

Will do a short test run this weekend and a bit longer ride the following weekend and post the difference from stock. So far I can see the Rox Risers will really help a lot, and they better, as I am blown away how much trouble they gave me putting them on (and I do not have the ABS model).

It's hard to tell from my messy garage as a backdrop, but below is a photo with everything installed. Thanks to Dan Vesel for selling these kind of items. Any little bit helps when you are 30 minutes from a rest stop and pain and soreness start setting in.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I'd really be curious as to how the back rest helps personally. Looking forward to your report. how much did the back rest cost?

The footrest's look promising as well. Again, interested in the report. Andy potentially cost and parts list, etc.

PT

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I'd really be curious as to how the back rest helps personally. Looking forward to your report. how much did the back rest cost?

The footrest's look promising as well. Again, interested in the report. Andy potentially cost and parts list, etc.

PT
I just came back from a 300-miler to Myrtle beach with a bedroll riding pillion. It was nice for a change of position while slabbing my way home.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first reaction is "How does he get on / off that thing?" I have enough problems getting my leg over without scratching the Top case with my boot.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My first reaction is "How does he get on / off that thing?" I have enough problems getting my leg over without scratching the Top case with my boot.
The 'ol Beemer hop, I would bet.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, after a two hour ride I can say the Rox Risers did their job. I was waiting until I felt soreness in my back to put the backrest on and the pain never came. I never used the forward foot pegs either. The Rox Risers really made a big difference for me.

As mentioned earlier, I will be doing a longer ride this weekend (about 6 hours). I plan on installing the back rest about half way into the ride. So I will report back on that.

To answer the question about getting on and off. Yes, it is a little tricky. I am working on that so I don't embarrass myself at gas stations, etc. It is not as bad as you would think though. My feeling is that I won't be using it most of the time. It fits in my top mount trunk very nicely, and removes very easily, so it will be there when I go on longer rides and pain starts to set in.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, completed a ride yesterday with around 8 hours in the saddle. Around 300 miles, some of those on dirt, so that's why it took 8 hours. Some of it on very tough sand and ended up walking the bike for over an hour in first gear.

Here is my assessment of the ergonomic farkles I added.

Backrest:
I think it helped to an extent, but after 4 hours, I was sore. The last two hours was painful. I do not blame the back rest for this. I get pretty sore in a car or airplane on long trips as well. Again, I am glad I have it, but I think it will stay in my trunk until hour two, or when I feel the soreness coming on. Maybe that aproach will work better for me.

Bar Risers:
I think these mad a huge difference. Again, I think they can only do so much, but they difinitely kept me upright and tight against the back rest.

Forward Pegs:
I did not use these much. Once the pain kicked in, they did not help much. I think these work best on shorter rides and require a little thinking, to remind yourself to stretch from time to time. Again, they will stay on as anything to help. There were periods I switched peg positions and got some relief to the next rest stop.

The bottom line is I don't think I am cut out for riding more than 4 - 5 hours a day. To me riding should be fun. After the fourth hour, it is hard to have fun with pain. I am good with that, as I have plenty of places to ride nearby within a 4 hour radius. I honestly don't think I could find a much more comfortable bike, so maybe down the road I will take a look at replacing the seat, but for now stick with what I have. Overall, the fun out weighed the pain.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
I read this post and can't help but wonder what shape you're in. I don't mean any offence by it but I'm an out of shape 50 year old and I did a few 11 hour days this summer. I was tired but not in pain at the end of the day. Tell us about your physical makeup.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No offense taken.

I am 45 and in fairly good shape. Work out 4 -6 days a week (half cardio/half light weight training). However, I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in my early 20's. No big deal, as I guess many people have it to a certain degree. The bummer is I have always needed very adjustable chairs at work, as well as car seats. I sit at a desk all day (as many people do), so I pay close attention to ergonomics with whatever I do. It's to make up for my poor posture. I have to remind myself to stand completley staight up and not hunch over. Even at my peak physical condition in my 20's, I have always had to deal with it to an extent. I changed jobs a few years ago to get out of traveling a lot. Coast to Coast flights were murder and first class was rarely an option. We all know how flying coach is for any distance - miserable.

Too your point though, I only just crossed the 1,000 mile mark on my 2006 Wee. I have noticed each ride it gets a little better, so I am going to see if consistent riding (at least once a week for a few hours) might even help me more. I should be in the 10,000 range by now, but I did buy only my bike about 6 months ago.

Jim

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
All ailments and age put aside........there is allot of truth in getting your body into riding condition/shape. I would imagine it is kinda like riding horses, the more frequent you do it....the better it gets. Cycling and running is also similar in my opinion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also have the Dan Vessel highway pegs and back rest on my 04 DL1000 and while I like the highway pegs quite a bit I pretty much have left the back rest off after I rode with it from central Oregon to the Cedar City Utah Stromfest this past summer. This is what I found on that ride...

The Dan Vessel highway pegs are a nice option and provide an alternate foot position and leg/knee angle and as long as you start using the alternate position before you start getting sore then they can extend your (my) comfortable riding day. The back rest at first seemed to be a big help however the more that I rode with it the more I realized that I was resting back against it and this was promoting a slumping posture which then made my low back more sore. I also noticed that the back rest seemed to transmit a slight frame vibration to my low back that began to bother me and became more and more irritating the longer I rode ( I did have the extra pad from Dan Vessel on the back rest as well as a sheep skin cover). Since riding close to 3000 miles with the back rest on I have removed it and feel no desire to put it back on. I am finding that proper upright riding posture has helped (me) allot more than the back rest and when my back gets sore, I take a break. The back rest does make it bit trickier to mount and dismount the Strom but very little worse than when touring and I have gear strapped in the passenger postion on my Strom. Of note I also get out of my car, a Subaru Outback wagon, feeling a bit stiff after seversl hours on the road so I don't think that this is a flaw in the Strom, or the back rest, it's just how long my body can stay seated (on anything) before it starts to stiffen up.

I am 49, trim at 6-1 180lbs, and reasonably fit, I do not work out regularly per say but I am pretty active and have done a few triathelons 10 - 15 years ago and used to be a fair long distance runner. I can not longer run, swim, or bike very hard at all due to some fairly chronic of back problems which have develloped over many years and cause me to take a sick day at work a couple of times a year. I do regularly ski in the winter and occasionally Mtn bike in the summer.

To date my farthest riding day was just over 850miles (mostly raining, this is the PNW after all) and by the end of that day I was fairly sore but could have gone farther if I had needed to.

I just reviewed this thread and noticed that you have tkc 80's (?) on your bike. When on dirt roads I definatley found the back rest to be in the way and limited my abillity to move around on the bike as much as is needed for anything rougher than a fairly smooth graded dirt road. I would consider it to be almost hazardous on anything really rough that might require any real dynamic movement on the riders part as I could see the back rest smacking you in the back at a most inopportune moment throwing you foreward and out of where your body needed to be. The thing does pop off quickly and without tools so if you hit some dirt on a long tour you can definately remove it and strap it down in a heartbeat

For Some people the back rest may be just the ticket though as it definatly promotes a more "cruiser" type positioning... and I haven't exactly sold mine yet either so who knows, maybe next summer I'll break it out again.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just reviewed this thread and noticed that you have tkc 80's (?) on your bike. When on dirt roads I definatley found the back rest to be in the way and limited my abillity to move around on the bike as much as is needed for anything rougher than a fairly smooth graded dirt road.
You are 100% correct. Part of last weeks ride was testing dirt for the first time. I went into some fairly rocky/sandy sections. My first instinct was to want to stand. I could not do that with the back rest, as it is a pretty tight fit on my back, so standing up and sitting back down was a problem. Also, I was not able to slide back on the seat to get my weight shifted to lighten up the front of the bike. Agreed, the backrest is only for street.
Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the Dan Vessel pegs and backrest and I love them. I haven't gone more than a few hours though so I can't really give a good report on a long days with these. The first time I rode with the backrest was quite a bit unusual. After a few days of going back and forth to work with it, I got use to not being able to move around the saddle as much. I have always had bad posture while riding and moving the backrest all the way forward on it adjustments puts me right where I wanted to be. Now I won't ride to get a gallon of milk without it on.

The highway pegs are a great option to move back and forth between them and the standard pegs. Frankly, I can't stand to stand more than about twenty minutes in either position.

Both of these mods came together and made motorcycling Nirvana when I added the SW-Motech 1" up and 1" back risers. My shoulders and elbows were bothering me a bit until I put these risers on.

The last ergonomic mod I bought was a MP Cycle Design 21" grand touring screen. Works wonderfully and I recommend all of the mods I bought.

BTW I'm 31 and fit but I had a knee blow out on me during a motorcycle accident in 04, so the highway pegs are huge for my comfort.

·
Registered
22,279 Posts
I never could understand how forward pegs help with ergonomics, less weight is supported by yout feet & legs and the is more strain on your back & spine

I can't ride more than 20 minutes in a cage with my feet forward before I am in pain, I can ride a standard motorcycle all day long and then some

my nekkid SV was perfect for me ergonomicly with no mods, my Vee, I did lowering links, and dropped the front as well, I could use about 1/2-3/4 " pull back on the handlebars, but the rise is perfect

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts