StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gotta fix an itch?....need a ride??

Pack the mules with camping gear for a week or so...hightail it out of Melbourne early Sat. morning, spooling k's on the Hume, staying somewhere north of Canberra that night.

Take a few days to bypass Sydney in a wider arc, taking in Bathurst/ Bridle Track if open/ passable, Bylong Valley Way, then either via the coast or part of the New England Hwy...whatever... etc etc, slowly zigzagging towards the Qld border with the Old Grafton Rd. and it's old tunnel, running the backroads and some selcted twisties, through the National Parks of the Great Divide etc etc...

Then through the Border Ranges, Lions Rd, Tweed Valley, whatever.

Bypassing Bris in the back-country of Bunya Mountains, Glasshouse Mtns etc etc towards the Sunshine Coast, running up Cooloola beach to the Cherry Venture wreck-site and out to Rainbow Beach.... jumping-board for Fraser Island.

Yes, the Stroms will make it, no worries....but we'd need to help eachother through the odd soft/ deep patch.

Spent a day on Fraser, running the 80km (each way) to/ from Indian Head and back to the ferry, then dropping the bikes the next day in Brissie (being the Monday morning)....grab a cab to the airport and fly home.

Bike Transport with either Bikes Only or Fergussons (depot-to-depot) varies between $300-$352 (Bris-Mel...get your own prices for other destinations like Can/Syd/Adl) depending on the number of bikes.
Bikes will be available at their Melbourne depots between 3-8 days later (depending on their scheduled runs).

Virgin flights Bris-Mel for Monday, July 25 were on special last night for a paltry $75 incl. taxes, add 12bux for up to 20kg luggage, which aren't really needed as the gear can stay with the bikes.

Dates (set):
Leave Mel 16/7
Fly Bris-Mel 25/7

Accom:
Varied, depending on place and circumstances.....tents to cabins/ pubs etc.

Riding:
Expect anything from rain, snow....to sweat and shorts.
~25% dirt incl. the beaches of the Cooloola Coast and Fraser Island.
This is 25% distance...which generally equates to ~50% of time.

Distance:
Total~3500km

Financials:
~$350 bike-transport
~$100 flights
~$100 cabs (multiple shared trips incl. before/ after to pick up bikes)
~$100 per day/ head total (bed/food/drink/petroletc)....based on shared accom

As to " why transport + flly instead of ride?"
Well...if you've got extra time, just ride back south if you want.

Since the above is stretching our own time to the max as is, we'd rather spent the time in areas and on roads which we usually don't have access to on shorter/ weekend trips. Just trying to make the most of what's on offer up there...and financials come to the same anyways, considering petrol, tyres, servicing etc when compared to cart+fly.

Numbers: SIX... to keep a decent travelling pace.

For anyone interested....there's not much time to get things booked and organized, don't dawdle around.
This is rather....Money down and go!!

I've started to book and nail things last night, flights are bought.

All bookings and arrangements will have to be made by the individuals, I don't want to be involved in "can't make it"- refunds, re-bookings and all that kerfuffle.
The only possibly common booking will be the number of bikes, as that changes the price-per-unit.

For some ideas, check this story....from post #9
Charge Of The Midgets_Cape York Posties Pt.1 - AusTouring.com

See YOUR bike here? :chug::woot:

Pipe up here if interested.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Onto Fergusson's tomorrow morning to book 2 bikes and get their Bris depot address (supposed to be in the North, handy to Fraser Island/ Rainbow Beach).

All set and done. 2x WTF's booked @$350 each (incl. full insurance).

Panniers/ luggage to stay on bikes is ok, run down tanks as far as possible. Personal gear to stay on bikes (helmets/ jackets/ boots etc) is also fine, as long as they're attached to the bike somehow (straps/ ropes/ duct-tape etc)

Please book under "AusTouring" , as that will drop the price to $330/ bike.

Drop off address on Monday the 25/7 :
Adam 0425 790 416
Fergusson's Transport
27 Young St.
Narangba

which is at the bottom of the Sunshine Coast, 38km on the M1 Freeway from Brissie Airport.

Melbourne depot in Rockbank, north of the city.

Next: contacting Rainbow Waters Holiday-Park in Rainbow Beach
Rainbow Waters Holiday Park – Rainbow Beach Accommodation for the 2 or 3 nights at the end of the week...great guys, beautiful spot. Stayed there when we rode the posties to Cairns.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Could be up for joining u for part of the way. Im in Sydney so could meet u at Bathurst say. Not into camping tho, pubs, cabins ok.

Keen to ride up to QLD (depending on the weather)and wander back on my own or with anyone else who might tag along.
last time (Jan 11) up that way it rained for days.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good !!
I envisage the camping bit coming in a little later/ further north, anyway...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hey Glitch,

Would you be open to a few of the locals joining in for a couple of days of your journey? From say, Glen Innes and northwards? Be interested if we could swing it. Maybe we may even be able to show you a road or two you may not have on your agenda.

Cheers,
Other Pete.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Glitch,

Would you be open to a few of the locals joining in for a couple of days of your journey? From say, Glen Innes and northwards? Be interested if we could swing it. Maybe we may even be able to show you a road or two you may not have on your agenda.

Cheers,
Other Pete.

Oops, sorry...just saw this now.
The topic sank like a rock, so I didn't check any further.
Problem to most will be that it's pretty much mid- week, probably a Wed/Thurs.
Still, if it fits...by any means.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
pete,

didnt know it only cost 300-350 between Bne and Mel - --- Fuel along for a direct run (all hi-way) would cost $135 alone not to mention wear and tear on tyres and other items. and of course time and accomodation cost. Now u have given me another idea about my annual southern migration run.

Would you be posting the route say a week before u leave, so those who wants join in for a section can do so... would love to catch up with your new WTF when u are near brisbane.

cheers,

aaron

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Pete, if I happen to be off when your in the area, I'll try and catch up somewhere :thumbup:
Sounds good....should be around Bathurst area on the 18th (Monday), and moving north.

pete,

didnt know it only cost 300-350 between Bne and Mel - --- Fuel along for a direct run (all hi-way) would cost $135 alone not to mention wear and tear on tyres and other items. and of course time and accomodation cost. Now u have given me another idea about my annual southern migration run.

Would you be posting the route say a week before u leave, so those who wants join in for a section can do so... would love to catch up with your new WTF when u are near brisbane.
cheers,
aaron

Hi mate

Yeah...been doing this a few times in the past. With limited time, why waste it on the boring transit stretches or the stuff one rides on weekends/ long-weekends.
Thankfully, most regard that as a "failure to be a proper motorcyclist"...who has to ride it all, hurray... common sense or not. Therefore it's quite easy to pretty much get an instant slot with the bike-carriers like Fergussons/ Bikes Only etc.
(contact them for smaller places/ depots along their routes where bikes can be dropped/ picked-up)

Grab a cheap flight and save yourself 2-3 days of highway-droning, leaving more time for the trip in the other direction to enjoy and poke the nose into side-roads/ alternate routes, relax, explore....make a meal of it rather than a "quick-sniff 'n run".
You could also get the bike shipped to Canberra and pick it up a few days later, getting straight into the Snowies/ High country...there are plenty of cheap flights going into/ out of CAN.

The new WTF isn't registered yet...this will be the last trip for the WTF1000 before its sale. Got too many other bikes scattered around the globe at the moment to register + insure yet another one.

Route is just an approximate, sorry...it all depends on weather/ conditions and the mood of the day. The only thing set are the 2 nights at Rainbow Beach at the end. And some sort of backroads-affair along Wivenhoe/ Somerset/ Bellthorp Range/ Obi Obi and a few other roads/ forestry roads to get us to Tewantin and onto Cooloola Beach.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oops, sorry...just saw this now.
The topic sank like a rock, so I didn't check any further.
Problem to most will be that it's pretty much mid- week, probably a Wed/Thurs.
Still, if it fits...by any means.:mrgreen:
Don't sweat it, I bin watching the thread develop over on OzT.

Mid-week pretty much counts me out, but there might be a few locals who can still do it.

You could also get the bike shipped to Canberra and pick it up a few days later, getting straight into the Snowies/ High country...there are plenty of cheap flights going into/ out of CAN.
Verily and forsooth, I like this idea greatly! :hurray:

Have a great trip.

Other Pete.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wish you were leaving Mid August, i could have incorporated this ride into my lap..

Have fun :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts