StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 650 Adventure right now and I'm concerned about the power the bike can deliver. I currently weigh about 260 (I'm working on it!) and was wondering if the bike would have enough pep. I'm not looking to pop wheelies but I do like to have power at hand in case I need to get out of a jam.

I'm looking at the 650 over the 1000 because I think it's more in line with the size and weight I'm looking for. I want something comfortable, light, and fun to ride.

I'm coming from a VTX 1300 which is like driving a porch. I want something I can throw around a little bit.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I weigh about 250 and have no issues even with 100lbs Of gear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
"Driving a porch" :green_lol:

It depends on how much oomph you want or need. The 1000 weighs more, so it may have a bit more punch than the 650.

I only weigh 200 and I'd like for it to have a bit more punch, but that's just me...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Unless you are rich or your job is a race car driver, The 650 will move you quicker at legal speeds and more than any car you've ever driven. Everyone has their own definition of enough power. I'm over 200lbs and I don't think I have ever pinned the throttle.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
I suspect you meant "Porsche" as opposed to "Porch".

Your VTX 1300 is slower than any Current Porsche Sports car.

(http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/honda_vtx1300/)

The DL650 is quicker. You will likely need to get used to reving the motor to really let it go.

I'm currently around 245 lbs and have had quite the heavy load on the back with no issue. Just get used to shifting and revving, which is great fun on the DL650.

..Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, I meant porch. :mrgreen: As in really heavy handling. It just feels ponderous and slow in the turns.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to set up a test drive to make sure but it's always nice to get some input from experienced owners.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
i tell you that you will be fine with the 650 I am 230 and have no problems and my bride and I ride two up and i hev not seen any issues with power so far

Tommy O

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,331 Posts
The 650 is plenty powerwise. I dare say with equal weight riders it would pull ahead of the VTX 1300 in a drag race. Handling, especially the new 2012 which has a couple improvements in suspension over the previous 650's is very good. It is a PLEASURE to ride fast in tight turns and is more stable when leaned over than my BMW with aftermarket shocks. I have both the 1000 and the 650, the new 650 is so much better as a "fun" bike there is no comparison.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
realshelby, you just answered another thing I was pondering! I liked the idea of more power on the 1000 but was worried it wouldn't be as fun. Thank you!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm 260 right out of the shower. It has more power than I know what to do with. Supposedly the DL650 will do 0-60 in 3.8 sec. That's probably with a little guy driving. But what if it's 4.2 sec with one of us on it. Still really fast. If your used to a liter bike you might be dissapointed. Other than that you wouldn't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am 260 as well. I just finished a 5000 mile tour with a full load. It had plenty of power until about 90mph. When I was interstate cruising at 85, it is a little lethargic when you punch it.

I also have a front end wobble that starts between 93 and 100. I think I need a stiffer rear spring.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I weigh 280lb and carry a passenger. I have no issues getting out of trouble.

·
Registered
964 Posts
"Enough power" is so subjective.

I've had a 1000 and now the new 650. Unlike GW, I HAVE had the 650 throttle against the stop... plenty of times. It will get to illegal speeds, and quickly, but it won't throw you back in the seat or loft the front tire like the 1000. Also - especially if you're coming from a cruiser - you really have to rev/ shift this thing to wring out the hp. If you get a test ride, don't ride it like a cruiser, shifting at 3500rpm. Wind it out... shift at 5 to 6k rpm.

All in all a fun, competent bike for a big dude (I'm 6'5", 300#), with.. yes... "enough" power. More would be nice, tho.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i have had bikes with twice the power of the wee and thought to myself I need more power...... but i have never felt I don't have enough power to do anything I want on this bike. I know that may not make sence but it does for me ...... oh 230lb here

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I also had a VTX 1300 Retro, not a bad bike, but like you said a little slow, and handles like a barge, brakes are really bad on the 1300's.I had a 1000 Vee and now a 650 "Glee" and like it better as far as handling, milage, and mostly the updated instriments and styling, plus the ABS has saved me once already. I like the 1000 for highway cruising at above legal speeds just a little better, but all round I feel the "Glee" is a better package overall. I weigh the same as you, and ride two-up, much better than my VTX was or even my 1600 Nomad, and the 4-500 lbs of weight difference (the bike) is a joy to ride, feels like a mini-bike on steriods! Cheers--BB

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. go figure.
Well.....

Compare Suzuki's 650 S40, and their DR650SE, throw in the GSX-R600, to the DL650. Very different power plants, very different feel, very different on the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well.....

Compare Suzuki's 650 S40, and their DR650SE, throw in the GSX-R600, to the DL650. Very different power plants, very different feel, very different on the road.
Yeah, I wasn't going to dignify that with a response.

Mustang 3.7L V6 = 305 HP
Porsche 3.4L V6 = 350 HP

Not all engines, transmissions, final drives, throttles, etc. are created equal. Thanks to everyone else for the great responses, though. I think I'm going to set up a test drive for tomorrow night and get the VTX appraised.:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts