StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saga kind of continues I suppose.. I don't know whether to make this a continuation of the original problem or not but maybe someone has an idea..

A few months ago I installed an 05 engine in my 07 due to a cam gear that came apart.. Needless to say the first 1000 miles it ran smoother than the original engine and all seemed to be going well.. I just returned last night from a 1000 mile trip and part way through I started feeling a vibration under acceleration.. Its hard to explain but when under acceleration going up grades (where it seems most obvious) I feel a vibration that I haven't felt before.. At speed it seems to run smooth, but Im curious if this might be more of the "chudder" that I didn't have or feel with my 07 engine.. Its typically around 3500-4000 rpm under hard acceleration that I feel it. Its vibration that is hard to explain.. Kind of an out of balance feeling with the engine, and instead of a smooth acceleration it kind of has a chugging feeling.. The power seems great, the mileage has been awesome (45-47) and at idle with a rev it sounds fine..

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked it the minute I got home and I dont think it could be any closer..

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,403 Posts
Snownut, do the chudder test as it goes thru the vibration zone. Lightly feather the clutch lever just enough to load the pressure plate, but not enough to cause any slippage. If that test smooths it out you know the vibration is coming from the clutch basket.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm almost certain it is chudder. That's where it will rear its ugly head first (high load 3,500-3,900 rpm's).

Like Terry said, do the test and see if everything gets smooth.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Excuse me??? Chudder problems....??? Surely the Vee has no such thing... I mean, that's what the Vee owners keep saying, anyway....:fineprint: Next thing you guys will be telling me is that the Vee has some clutch issues too...:green_lol:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Yup,pretty sure its the dreaded chudder.It drove me nuts till i got the clutch basket modified.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems strange that it didnt start out with it.. The only thing ive done was an oil change to mobil before I left. It was trple digit temps so I went a little heavier weight. My last engine never felt this way either.

I'll do the clutch test today, I guess if it is that I can just swap the entire assembly out from the original engine..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Excuse me??? Chudder problems....??? Surely the Vee has no such thing... I mean, that's what the Vee owners keep saying, anyway....:fineprint: Next thing you guys will be telling me is that the Vee has some clutch issues too...:green_lol:
fz6 yer in the wrong category.. you should be over there with the wimmen,the old folks and the cheapies.. not here with the manly men who arent afraid of a couple of minute mechanical issues.. go ride yer lil wee sewing machine.. we here like the feel of POWER

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Any one smell a Troll?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its just easier to ignore people who make negative or frivolous comments. I don't know why people feel they need to hijack a thread with comments that are obviously a waste of time and space.

·
Administrator
17,218 Posts
Could be the clutch chudder........but I too agree with the "downshift" or dont whack open the throttle at the RPM's you describe.

There is plenty of issues that go around with the 650.........don't be fooled. And FZ6 is a good guy, he is just making a funny is all.:yesnod:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a follow up on this post.. It was bugging me that when I initially put this engine in it was smooth and quiet but after a long trip I noticed what seemed to be a vibration or engine noise in the back ground.. To sum it up I woke up in the middle of the night one night and it just hit me that I should changes my chain and sprockets.. The rear sprocket still looked fine with not a lot of chain movement on it but it has been 28000 miles (running a scott oiler) and who knows.. Interesting enough the front sprocket had the shark fin wear even though the rear looked fine.. I didn't remember it looking that bad when I moved it from engine to engine during the swap.. The chain also had quite a bit of stretch in it when laid out to a new chain. Sometimes its the little things I guess.. Also lesson learned that even with an auto oiler one can't just ignore chain/sprockets.. With the oiler it always looks clean and lubed, but its still going to wear...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Can anyone comment whether this is a fairly easy and/or inexpensive fix from a dealer ?
Chudder is from the clutch. See the test at FAQ: How to test for DL1000 Clutch CHUDDER to see if that's what you have. If it is, the best remedy is to have the basket modified by one of the people posting here offering a fix. A dealer will only put in a new basket and that will start the chudder again all too soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive been debating about taking my spare clutch basket and having it modified.. I can tell there is still a little chudder there, just not the "gear" noise or tugging feeling under acceleration..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you don't actually have something useful to add to the discussion, why don't you crawl back under your rock in the Wee section?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts