StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As described in the title:

I have three bars showing in the temperature gauge and don't seem to be noticing anything odd sound-wise.

The red light is *not* on.

However, the engine temperature warning symbol is on -- I have coolant, I have oil. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Is this something I can address on my own?

Regards,
Kyle

·
Registered
431 Posts
I must admit that I didn't know there was a engine temp warning. There is a cold air warning(snowflake). And three bars is normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very familiar with the cold air warning and had a brief scare when my fan went out and the three bars maxed out (mechanic forgot to reconnect the fan), along with a red warning light.

However, this is the very first time I've seen an engine temperature warning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is no temperature warning symbol as far as I know. Coolant temperature symbol is always visible. 3 bars on the gauge is normal. High coolant temperature warning means all 5 bars visible on the gauge, coolant temperature symbol blinking and red light lit (below low temp warning light).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Anduril,

There is definitely an engine temperature warning icon; however, as I mentioned, the coolant temperature bars are within their normal range for me.

So this is weird.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Proof is the ye olde pudding.

I'm guessing a sensor is bad, because it's probably been 45 minutes to an hour and I /just/ turned it on with that warning still on the dash.

Or maybe it's a check-engine equivalent?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think so, i have checked the manual ;) Show us a photo of your dash and it will be clear.
If you mean the temp symbol below Gear indicator, then this one *is always visible*. It starts blinking along with visible red warning light, when all 5 bars are shown on the temp gauge and temperature raises to/above 120°C. There is no other temp symbol.

EDIT: On your photo, this is perfectly normal condition. Google other V-Strom dashes, if you don't trust me or check the manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey buddy,

I included a photo probably as you were typing your post. It's just above your response here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must just be losing my mind or never noticed it before! Had a long ride for the first time this season in the humidity after a few hours of heavy work.

So just to clarify my sweat-addled brains, while the engine is running, it's normal for the Engine-Temperature indicator there to be on and I should disregard it in favor of the coolant temperature to its immediate right.

I appreciate your patience while I cool off from the work and slide back into normal-brainpower.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No problem :)
It is just a symbol for the coolant temp gauge (bars), so it's perfectly normal that it is visible. When it starts blinking (along with red light lit and 5 bars shown), then your are in trouble :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
The thermometer indicator is always there, hot or cold. Favor the bars - 3 is the usual condition, 2 in exceptionally cold weather.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I kind of see the confusion. The little oil can is normally off so why the water temp icon on when normal? Still I never gave it a thought until now. No blink or red lights? Keep going. Blink or red but running? Stop and check/fix. So far low fuel, temp, ABS are the only lights or blink i have seen after rolling in 17000 miles. FI not yet. Temp not yet. Oil pressure hopefully never.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts