StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a 'sweet spot' that I should be aiming. I'll be honest this is my first bike in a few years that has a tach and it's my first non cruiser since the ninja 650 I started on in 2012. Where is your 'sweet spot' while riding? I'm finding I keep mine between 3500 and 4k but wasn't sure if that was too low for the bike. I feel like a major noob with this type of question.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Greg- He has a newer 1000, not a 650.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
Just below 4k will give you the best gas mileage, bike is happy too. Too low and it bogs, too high is fun but mileage drops considerably.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Is there a 'sweet spot' that I should be aiming. I'll be honest this is my first bike in a few years that has a tach and it's my first non cruiser since the ninja 650 I started on in 2012. Where is your 'sweet spot' while riding? I'm finding I keep mine between 3500 and 4k but wasn't sure if that was too low for the bike. I feel like a major noob with this type of question.
That's a fair question. I think that you'll find that there is not a one size fits all answer.
The overriding decision is how may MPH you want to ride at a give time and specific circumstance. On a straight flat road, by yourself, with no need to rapidly accelerate the bike is happy to loaf along at just under 3000 RPM. On inclines or in the twisties or traffic you can just shift down so the engine is at that point where throttle response is readily at hand (right hand), say 4000 -4200. The upper range is about anything you want, no wrong answer.

Reactions: wingstrom

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Mine has an increased vibration around 4200, so I try to avoid spending much time there, and typically don't let it get much below 2500 or so. Usually the bike will let you know if it's not happy, like if you're at 2000 and want to pass in a hurry.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
With experience and trials he will find the sweet spot. I don't have the power the 1000 has.
Sometimes I'm cruising along and realize I'm still in a lower gear. Gotta try shifting up!
Numb from the waist up!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My thousand is older, but very similar. I like the 3500-4500 range on back roads if I'm not being sporty. Some highways call for mid 4,000s at cruising speed, like 80 mph. Don't worry about over revving the engine. It will turn 8,000 all day long. When riding for sport, feel free to use the rev limiter as your shift indicator. You won't hurt it. Of course, it's about done, power-wise around 9000 so you really don't need that last thousand RPM. When I first got mine, I was concerned about the RPMs because it revved so much higher than my previous single. I have become adapted to the higher strung engine and feel it's really at home in the 4,000s. Generally, it's not good to apply a lot of throttle at real low RPM, like under 3,000. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine seems sweet from 3k to 5200. i rode it 500 miles twice in the last 4 days. One day was 350 miles in pouring rain from Hurricane Matthew. I rode many miles between 75 and 85mph on Rt 81. Bike was in its element. Right around 90 some slight buzz was noticable. I was very impressed. Bike felt relaxed

·
Registered
138 Posts
Max torque is around 4K so that's going to generally be the most economical revs to ride.
HOWEVER, not the most fun!

The best days riding I've ever had on the V2 was when travelling two up with my wife on the back, and the bike was loaded with luggage while hammering through some of the best roads on the planet through the Great Dividing Range during our 14,500km, 5 week tour from Darwin in the Northern Territory to Tasmania and return.

We rode hard on the day and kept revs above 6 k, hammering up and down through the gears while riding fast (faster than we should have).

It was probably the closest we've come to orphaning our kids (although we were well and truly in that riders groove), and after a couple of hours of it, my missus was whooping and I said to her..."I think we just had a threesome with the bike. >:)"

Gave me a real appreciation with what this very capable V-twin can do when pushed a little harder.

Yep....we used a lot of fuel, but if I lived in the region, I'd do it every day, over and over and keep those revs high.:grin2:
These are the types of roads typical to the area.

https://youtu.be/cXaqRxycZts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
Max torque is around 4K so that's going to generally be the most economical revs to ride.

4000 rpm torque peak is a LOT different from any rated specification or dyno sheet I have seen on these bikes. Typically there is a very flat torque band from about 6000 to 8000 where torque peaks and varies very little.

Dyno Chart

Dyno Chart 2

·
Registered
251 Posts
You owe it to yourself to at least give this bike a try at 6 to 7K. It becomes a completely different bike. And yes, your gas mileage will leap into the toilet.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends on what you're doing, as has been said. I like it best from 4000 to around 5500. Below 4000 you can't demand much, though the engine is happy without a heavy load. Much above 6000 and you're getting mainly vibration and noise in exchange for burning more fuel.

This engine is very different from the other 90-degree twins I've known in that it doesn't continue to become more exciting as you rev it up. The sweet spot is narrow, and it takes some getting used to. I think of it as a mellow engine with lots of torque down low but not much to offer up high. If you're looking for it to wind out like the Suzuki 650s or a Ducati, it'll disappoint you.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You'll find the rpms the engine is happy at. Higher when working harder or going uphill, lower revs when loafing. 4k to 5k are fine for easy riding on the DL1000A. Lower for low speeds. Down to 2k when meandering around town. Up to 7k or more when passing. I put the 16 tooth front sprocket on and like the result. Even at an indicated 90 the revs aren't too high, but if I rode freeway all the time I'd stick with the original 17t.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts